PDA

View Full Version : Love my shimano's...

robert
08-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Last time I went to the nsr, I lost the hold down for the spool assembly on my Shimano CX4000RB - just a little upsetting cause it's my favorite reel and i've been using it for 7 years now. Not an expensive reel but a great little caster.

Went out and bought a shimano solstace 4000FI to replace it, spooled up with 15LB berkley braid with mono backing and what a replacement it is. Great bang for the buck reel - I love my shimano's :)

Was told to go to the reel doctor for parts for my old 4000RB and I was fixed up in minutes, new spool and hold down - 18 bucks. Great service, I must say. Even got some lure suggestions out of the deal.

SuCraM
08-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Last time I went to the nsr, I lost the hold down for the spool assembly on my Shimano CX4000RB - just a little upsetting cause it's my favorite reel and i've been using it for 7 years now. Not an expensive reel but a great little caster.

Went out and bought a shimano solstace 4000FI to replace it, spooled up with 15LB berkley braid with mono backing and what a replacement it is. Great bang for the buck reel - I love my shimano's :)

Was told to go to the reel doctor for parts for my old 4000RB and I was fixed up in minutes, new spool and hold down - 18 bucks. Great service, I must say. Even got some lure suggestions out of the deal.

Agree 100 percent I just replace my old rod and reel with a sojorn rod and 2500 Solstace reel and I love it. Very nice setup.

Izumi
08-06-2009, 04:19 PM
I got a 2500R and also run 15 lbs braided. I love it, Shimano reels are great, last forever and always work.

I do have one thing I dislike about it. The Quickfire system (which i don't use) requires the reel to return to the start position (will turn backwards). So if your jigging with this reel you need to make sure the reel has turned back to this point or when you go to set the hook, it will unspool a few cm then lock.

I solved this by jigging with a different/rod reel.

Cal
08-06-2009, 10:22 PM
With a nick name like izumi you obviously like shimano. They make great stuff, my wife has a 4000RE and I have the sojourn rod. Love the rod and I'll definatly take a long look at the shimano reels when my Pfluger trion craps out:cry:

A187
08-07-2009, 12:16 AM
I just recently joined the Shimano family:

-Shimano Compre MH 6'6 spinning rod.

-Shimano Saros 3000F spinning reel.

Geezle
08-07-2009, 06:46 AM
Agree 100 percent I just replace my old rod and reel with a sojorn rod and 2500 Solstace reel and I love it. Very nice setup.

I picked up the same combo a couple months ago...love it, and for the price you can't go wrong!

Waxy
08-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Another Shimano lover here!

Way too much stuff to list though lol.

Waxy

robert
08-07-2009, 10:12 AM
The only thing I don't like about the 4000FI is the top drag - the CX has a rear drag that can be adjusted in a real hurry. Not like i've ever had to adjust in a hurry but nice to know that I can.

Waxy
08-07-2009, 10:31 AM
The only thing I don't like about the 4000FI is the top drag - the CX has a rear drag that can be adjusted in a real hurry. Not like i've ever had to adjust in a hurry but nice to know that I can.

The front drag system is far better - smoother and more consistent. It won't require much adjustment, and once you get used to it, it's just as easy as the rear drag system.

Waxy

Cal
08-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Yeah I used to like rear drags but after owning a few front drags I gotta say they are way smoother. I do not find adjusting the drag any more difficult than on a rear drag. I usualy set it a little light and if I think I need a bit more resistance at any point I just touch the spool with my index figer. If the fish ends up being bigger boatside than I thought, or part way into the fight grows a few pounds and starts making hard runs I am not scrambling to lighten the drag.

troutpirate
08-07-2009, 03:57 PM
they make a sweet little 5' ultra light rod with just the perfect combonation of backbone and whip.
you guys can have the reels though, im all okuma in that department most people i fish with are equally impressed with the okuma, more than a few people i know have bought the same one i have.
actually, i have 2 shimano reels that are broken but only one component away from working, one ultra-light and one ice-fishing.

if anyone wants these 2 reels for parts let me know and their yours.