PDA

View Full Version : Lund Hull issues

Bigballedbore
08-11-2020, 06:28 PM
Just curious if anybody else out there has had any issues with their
Double riveted seams collapsing while going through some waves. Ive had the seam on both sides cave in and Lund won't do anything as they claim i hit an object in the water without even examining the boat. Had third party adjusters come look and say otherwise however to fix the damage is worth more then the hull is worth and will be written off. Boat is a 2016 1650 rebel xs. This would if Been its third summer in the water. Hoping to build a case against them so any infoisappreciated.

PS if your thinking about buying a boat don't waste your time with Lund. They won't care about ya if the time comes.

Thanks

Smoky buck
08-11-2020, 06:35 PM
I don’t know why they are popular in Alberta. Growing up in BC I always heard they did not do well on the coast and leaked

I have never owned one myself though

EZM
08-11-2020, 06:54 PM
I have owned probably 2 dozen Lunds and have had excellent results and all of them except on beaten up tinner that leaked but it had likely hit many rocks over the course of it's life .... but the rest were dry as a bone.

My experience with Lund customer has been dramatically different as well. I break the buttons off my cover, 3-4 years after owning it - they replaced them, I left the bilge on and it burn out - yup warranty. Any issues I've had have been self inflicted and most of the time they just replace what they find and bill it to warranty. A pleasant surprise from the folks at Riverside in St.Albert.

Is the hull "caved in" or "dented" or just leaking. If it's caved in or dented, they probably have every reason to think you smacked something - I've hit logs at high speed and not even dented the hull. Beat up some waves, never an issue, the only time I got a dent was hitting a dead head 12" under the water which resulted in a crease and long dent but the seams were intact.

Never heard of a wave causing a dent - but who knows - I guess it could happen. And, in that case, if you photograph the dent and there's no abrasion and it looks like a hull collapse - you have a case.

Even with the cheapest crap boats out there I've never heard of a wave denting a hull - but who knows right? I guess it not impossible is it?

Bigballedbore
08-11-2020, 07:06 PM
After reading that your dealer helped you out i have every reason to think the dealership plays a major role in how the manufacturer responds to the claim and maybe i should be focusing my problem on the dealership as they have been no help at all.

Duramaximos
08-11-2020, 07:12 PM
You have damage on both sides from two separate incidents, or one?
You'd have to be very skilled or very unlucky to have two strikes that caused the same damage on both sides...

Positrac
08-11-2020, 07:17 PM
I had the hulls replaced on warranty on one 12 footer and two 14 footers. Small splits in the aluminum hull going into the rivets so they couldn’t even be re-riveted. The last time I had the dealer say they hadn’t ever seen that happen to a Lund hull before. So I had to remind him that it was the 3rd hull that was being replaced for me at that exact dealership. Lol.

I’ve had 2 more that had to have the rivets tightened up because they were leaking badly.

I finally went to a welded hull and never had another issue. I like Lunds but the don’t stand up to heavy chop out on the chuck.

Bigballedbore
08-11-2020, 07:35 PM
Yes i have damage on both sides of the hull. I know exactly when it happened. I was caught in bad weather coming across the lake and went through some 3ft white caps. After loading the boat i noticed the damage right away.

Bigballedbore
08-11-2020, 07:40 PM
I had the hulls replaced on warranty on one 12 footer and two 14 footers. Small splits in the aluminum hull going into the rivets so they couldn’t even be re-riveted. The last time I had the dealer say they hadn’t ever seen that happen to a Lund hull before. So I had to remind him that it was the 3rd hull that was being replaced for me at that exact dealership. Lol.

I’ve had 2 more that had to have the rivets tightened up because they were leaking badly.

I finally went to a welded hull and never had another issue. I like Lunds but the don’t stand up to heavy chop out on the chuck.

Yes I've heard the same thing from the dealer multiple times now. " I never heard of this happening" not a bit impressed with my dealer so far but i know if i go in there guns a blazing I won't get anywhere either.

fordtruckin
08-11-2020, 08:16 PM
What model Lund?

Osky
08-11-2020, 08:36 PM
All in all I have 4 Lund boats and I am picking up a fifth Thursday. They are all tiller fishing models 16-18’ long. They are all pre 2003. Deep v’s and Alaskan models.
I am very happy with them and they seem to have good heavy gauge aluminum hulls. Maybe the newer models are thinner gauge?
I also have a pair of modified v Alumacrafts for river guiding which are welded hulls. Great boats as well but I think a bit lighter gauge. I cracked one of the welded boats on the front prow line hitting waves on big water but tigged it up just fine. Maybe yours can be welded?

Osky

EZM
08-11-2020, 08:53 PM
Aluminum sheet, particularly if it comes from overseas can be sketchy no matter which brand - so it the cracks are oriented the same direction as the "grain" you may have a case - I'd look at that too. You never know.

Many rolled materials are directional (and marked from the factory), and re-bending a sheet in the same direction on some materials, then pre-stressing it will cause a greater possibility of failures.

There are many deep V Tyee's, Barons and other Lunds blasting in the great lakes and being pounded everyday.

I can tell you that the argument between "welding" and "rivets" is simply not the whole story. Ask any qualified engineer and he will tell you the same thing.

It's far more about the material properties (not thickness) and the construction. High dynamic stress (twisting, pounding, not regular movement) of lightweight materials (like Aluminum) are used on planes all the time and are still riveted.

Riveting, particularly the way Lund does it, is more expensive compared to welding - so it's not about cheap - it's about a poor lot of material or someone not paying attention in the factory or something. They install each and every rivet by hand one guy on top and and another under the boat in a jig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi4ni9fsnBA

Bigballedbore
08-11-2020, 08:58 PM
What model Lund?

1650 rebel XS

HuyFishin
08-11-2020, 10:29 PM
Why do boat dealers sound so much like car dealerships service departments haha

Jayhad
08-11-2020, 11:37 PM
Rivetted Lunds,
the tale of two stories, you either love them or bail

Good Luck, I suspect that the manufacturer will do what ever they can to get out of the fix/replacement.

I feel for you, boats come with mountains and valleys of emotions.

58thecat
08-12-2020, 08:02 AM
Aluminum sheet, particularly if it comes from overseas can be sketchy no matter which brand - so it the cracks are oriented the same direction as the "grain" you may have a case - I'd look at that too. You never know.

Many rolled materials are directional (and marked from the factory), and re-bending a sheet in the same direction on some materials, then pre-stressing it will cause a greater possibility of failures.

There are many deep V Tyee's, Barons and other Lunds blasting in the great lakes and being pounded everyday.

I can tell you that the argument between "welding" and "rivets" is simply not the whole story. Ask any qualified engineer and he will tell you the same thing.

It's far more about the material properties (not thickness) and the construction. High dynamic stress (twisting, pounding, not regular movement) of lightweight materials (like Aluminum) are used on planes all the time and are still riveted.

Riveting, particularly the way Lund does it, is more expensive compared to welding - so it's not about cheap - it's about a poor lot of material or someone not paying attention in the factory or something. They install each and every rivet by hand one guy on top and and another under the boat in a jig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi4ni9fsnBA

well said, I know many older boats out there that are beat but don't leak etc then there is the one that the aluminum cracked but not at the riveted areas...my crestliner has taken a beating for 15 years now...got some warps etc in her but periodically I take a rubber mallet and tap her back into shape...no leaks to date:)

Poppa
08-12-2020, 01:11 PM
Lund is the best fishing boat you can buy....the issue is that you pay for that right. That's why right now I'm really big on Alumacraft. I'm not sure if the quality is on par with Lund, but it's close enough and the price difference is enough, that it's more than worthwhile. I used to be obsessed with Lund Pro-V and Pro Guide, but now I'm all about Alumacraft Competitor series. To me, for the price, it's the best boat going.

Smoky buck
08-12-2020, 01:19 PM
Lund is the best fishing boat you can buy....the issue is that you pay for that right. That's why right now I'm really big on Alumacraft. I'm not sure if the quality is on par with Lund, but it's close enough and the price difference is enough, that it's more than worthwhile. I used to be obsessed with Lund Pro-V and Pro Guide, but now I'm all about Alumacraft Competitor series. To me, for the price, it's the best boat going.

There is way better quality hauls out there than Lund

Kingfisher is one for starters

Poppa
08-12-2020, 01:55 PM
I know it's just opinions, but if you ask any real fisherman what the best fit, finish and ride is for fishing......they'll tell you Lund.

Duramaximos
08-12-2020, 02:10 PM
If Lund is the best fishing boat out there why do I see zero of them on the West Coast?
I fish out of Port Hardy. Honest question.

What I see instead is 50% Glass and 50% Welded Aluminum. Of the welded aluminum boats, King Fisher and Hewes Craft make up 80%, with a smattering of other brands. Literally zero lunds in Port Hardy.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Smoky buck
08-12-2020, 02:12 PM
I know it's just opinions, but if you ask any real fisherman what the best fit, finish and ride is for fishing......they'll tell you Lund.

Been in a few and not that impressed with the ride or function honestly but they do make them pretty and add gimmicks

It’s a regional thing when it comes to preference I find. If you are originally from Ontario you are a Lund lover if you grew up in BC they are not even considered to be top 10 unless it’s for a small lake tinny

Too many stores of cracks and failed seems from the coast to hold them in high regard

Poppa
08-12-2020, 02:22 PM
absolutely could be a regional thing. I'm born and raised in Manitoba, and Lund is king. I've known since I was a little kid, when I used to doodle Lund boats and Merc engines in my school notebooks. They even have their own Lund Mania tournament that is only open to Lund owners, which is easy because anyone who's anyone has a Lund. Having said that, Alumacraft is gaining on them, with a few Princecraft and Crestliner owners thrown in the mix. The odd G3 unit, too.

Poppa
08-12-2020, 02:24 PM
I should also mention, Alumacraft is helped out greatly by the YouTube boys. First it was Aaron Wiebe (who has since partnered with Warrior), but now Jay Siemens, Clayton Schick and Tom Boley (the best of the best of YouTube fishing) all run Alumacraft Competitor 185's with 90s on the back. To me, it's the absolute perfect "Do Anything/Everything" boat. But good luck finding one....cripes, have I tried.

35 whelen
08-12-2020, 03:01 PM
I should also mention, Alumacraft is helped out greatly by the YouTube boys. First it was Aaron Wiebe (who has since partnered with Warrior), but now Jay Siemens, Clayton Schick and Tom Boley (the best of the best of YouTube fishing) all run Alumacraft Competitor 185's with 90s on the back. To me, it's the absolute perfect "Do Anything/Everything" boat. But good luck finding one....cripes, have I tried.

ALUMACRAFT boats are nice ,but those guys are also sponsored by them. I would say they are the best ever if they gave me one.:)

Positrac
08-12-2020, 03:09 PM

Bahahahaha!! That right there is one of the funiest things I've ever heard on here in a while...:sHa_sarcasticlol:

That's right up there with saying that if you ask any real shooter what the best rifle for fit, finish and accuracy is for hunting....they'll all tell you its a Savage!

Not bad guns by any means but far from the best and anyone who says they are just hasn't had a truly nice rifle...

Oh, and everyone knows its Browning anyways....lol!

WinefredCommander
08-12-2020, 04:15 PM
Lund went to crap in 2010. Hard to argue that they didn’t OWN the market for 50 years.

Buckhead
08-12-2020, 04:18 PM
I have run several different makes of aluminum boats - Lund, Princecraft and Sylvan(Smokercraft).
If I was to do it all over again I would go fiberglass for a multispecies boat.
Warrior, Nitro ZV, Skeeter, Yarcraft, Ranger.
There is almost no comparison to aluminum if you run any big water.
I started out in a fiberglass boat and my last boat may be one as well.

Osky
08-12-2020, 05:43 PM

Lund is good, but others have come to match I think.
I do agree on the Alumacraft competitor series. I have my eyes open for one now as well but I want the 20 footer tiller. I’m thinking it will be the last large guide boat I will buy. I refuse to pay retail and few are flipping them yet.

Osky

lattery1
08-12-2020, 06:19 PM
Have had not problems with the hull of my Lund ski and Sport but the plastic dash has been a POS. Replaced once by Lund on warranty but then 2 years later it bubbled and cracked all to hell. Told they would not fix again. I plan to grind out blisters and pour an epoxy to fix it.

Smoky buck
08-12-2020, 07:18 PM
absolutely could be a regional thing. I'm born and raised in Manitoba, and Lund is king. I've known since I was a little kid, when I used to doodle Lund boats and Merc engines in my school notebooks. They even have their own Lund Mania tournament that is only open to Lund owners, which is easy because anyone who's anyone has a Lund. Having said that, Alumacraft is gaining on them, with a few Princecraft and Crestliner owners thrown in the mix. The odd G3 unit, too.

You just listed the boats that are mass marketed and some of the most available. This is why they become popular and to be honest if you want an average boat with frills like a live well or geared to C&R tournaments that is what you are looking at

If you want well built reliable aluminum you go kingfisher and hewes craft for starters. Aluminum river boat you start getting into others

Fact of the matter is for the average fishermen most brands will do the trick

OL_JR
08-12-2020, 08:22 PM
You just listed the boats that are mass marketed and some of the most available. This is why they become popular and to be honest if you want an average boat with frills like a live well or geared to C&R tournaments that is what you are looking at

If you want well built reliable aluminum you go kingfisher and hewes craft for starters. Aluminum river boat you start getting into others

Fact of the matter is for the average fishermen most brands will do the trick

I'd love to go with something like a Kingfisher for my next boat, I really like the looks of the warrior tiller with the fishing package. Maxes out at 75hp in the tiller model though which I feel might be underpowered for 4 people as my kids grow. The flex can handle a lot more in a tiller but also mo pricy.

Anyhow realistically I wouldn't be opposed to a riveted boat and would be open to a few manufacturers. I have no idea why some get so hung up on a brand just because it's the one they happen to own. I'd rather be a bit more balanced and take a number of considerations into account, including what kind of deal is available. The boat the wife, kids, and I fish out of most is a Crestliner and an argument can be made riveted is better for that gauge of aluminum. Been pretty happy with it so far though and no rivets to leak, I do however stay conscious that I probably don't want to be smashing huge chop with it as fast and hard as I can.

The point Duramaximos brought up about heavy welded aluminums on the coast is a pretty solid point, and you don't see any true river boats that get the most abuse in a riveted hull.

Hope the O.P. can get his issues resolved without to big a kick in the pants.

fish99
08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
There is way better quality hauls out there than Lund

Kingfisher is one for starters

they crack at the welds

fish99
08-12-2020, 09:33 PM
i have a 1999 lund rebel 1650 won at the pigeon lake ice fishing derby and yes it leaked the first year we had it , the transom rivet seam was redone over the winter . has been ok since
i also have a 2016, 185 crestliner no leaks but the paint on the transom is bubbling in a couple places not sure why , there is no holes in the paint for rust to start any ideas what this is ?

Jawjacker
08-12-2020, 11:19 PM
i have a 1999 lund rebel 1650 won at the pigeon lake ice fishing derby and yes it leaked the first year we had it , the transom rivet seam was redone over the winter . has been ok since
i also have a 2016, 185 crestliner no leaks but the paint on the transom is bubbling in a couple places not sure why , there is no holes in the paint for rust to start any ideas what this is ?

Its signs of Transom rot. I would have it checked out . Take it to Free Spirit Marine in Edmonton. They will know.

Coiloil37
08-13-2020, 06:07 AM
Lund makes a good boat for lakes and it’s absolutely a regional thing. By regional I mean interior Canada/USA. You don’t see them on the west coast because they weren’t built for those conditions and they don’t handle them well. Heck, the OP got chased off the lake in 1m wind chop which is quite funny when you think about it.
A more interesting question is why do you see so many alloy boats on the northwest coast? I fished off the Charlottes for 15 years and they all claimed it was due to debris in the water even though we never hit anything. My guess is the (north) west coast guys run them because it’s local lore that alloy is stronger if you hit something, the seas aren’t that big, the distances aren’t that great and they can get away with it.
By and large the ocean market is owned by glass boats because glass usually rides more comfortably and it’s dryer.
I’ve fished through the US and Caribbean and now live in Australia and alloy boats are few and far between. The local alloy boats are all made with 5mm hulls and 4mm sides and both bar crusher and surtees have a ballast system to hold water at rest and the option to hold it in on plane so the boats heavier, more stable and doesn’t knock ALL of your fillings out at once. They still can’t hold a candle to a glass boat in normal to rough seas and they aren’t usually 50-100km offshore. It takes to long for them to get out there at the speeds they have to travel and they “might” make up 5% of the boats I see out on the water. If I do see them heading out in anything less then ideal conditions I’m usually travelling much, much faster then they are and they appear to be taking more of a beating then I am.

To compare a kingfisher at nearly 5 tons with a 6mm thick hull to a 900-1400lb Lund with a 2mm thick hull is a bit of a stretch, they’re not built for the same conditions.

Poppa
08-13-2020, 10:56 AM
Lund is good, but others have come to match I think.
I do agree on the Alumacraft competitor series. I have my eyes open for one now as well but I want the 20 footer tiller. I’m thinking it will be the last large guide boat I will buy. I refuse to pay retail and few are flipping them yet.

OskyJust straight SEXY, dude...... If I had lottery money and could buy anything, the Competitor 205TL would absolutely be the boat. It's perfect in every way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XepFcy8VM5k

Buckhead
08-13-2020, 11:11 AM

I would be quite surprised if this is transom rot after 4 seasons. It is most likely electrolysis. You might have one or more circuits that are using the boat as a negative ground (wired improperly). All the positive and negative circuits should be wired directly to the battery source.

gdbugs
08-13-2020, 11:24 AM
I bought my Lund brand new. A year in the transom was cracking and the brackets were all cracked through. Called the dealership and they said it's not covered on their "Lifetime hull guarantee"? Had to have it rebuilt myself. Lund talks a big game but when it comes time to back it up they've got nothing.

Positrac
08-13-2020, 12:13 PM
I would be quite surprised if this is transom rot after 4 seasons. It is most likely electrolysis. You might have one or more circuits that are using the boat as a negative ground (wired improperly). All the positive and negative circuits should be wired directly to the battery source.

Electrolysis has been the downfall of more than one tinny...

I’ve seen a lot of Lunds bubble up under the stickers. Not sure why it starts there but it’s common if there is a ground issue.

The hulls I had replaced under warranty were all small Lunds; WC12, SSV14 & SSV 16. I beat all of them like a red-headed step child. Not from dragging them on shore or hitting things, just big waves and tide rips. The 17’ Proguide I had didn’t have any issues but I only had it for a couple years before moving up to a Silver Streak. Although both were the same length there was no comparison in the kind of water the two boats could handle.

On the coast all Lunds are just considered Tinnies. For the most part a 19’ Lund is big for Lunds on the coast and while I know they get much bigger they are just too much money for something that can’t handle the water without having hull issues and very few would buy one hence why there is no market for them. On a lake, even a big one where you get caught out in the wind on occasion, they excell.

Osky
08-13-2020, 08:22 PM
Just straight SEXY, dude...... If I had lottery money and could buy anything, the Competitor 205TL would absolutely be the boat. It's perfect in every way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XepFcy8VM5k

Absolutely. I plan it riggged with a 150hp if I can find it so fitted.
I have friends still fishing the tours who tell me it’s a wetter hull than the comparable Lunds. I’m sure there is something to that but I still want one. My days of beating my way up lake Erie type lakes in horrible tournament weather conditions are over.

Osky

EZM
08-13-2020, 09:14 PM
Lund makes a good boat for lakes and it’s absolutely a regional thing. By regional I mean interior Canada/USA. You don’t see them on the west coast because they weren’t built for those conditions and they don’t handle them well. Heck, the OP got chased off the lake in 1m wind chop which is quite funny when you think about it.
A more interesting question is why do you see so many alloy boats on the northwest coast? I fished off the Charlottes for 15 years and they all claimed it was due to debris in the water even though we never hit anything. My guess is the (north) west coast guys run them because it’s local lore that alloy is stronger if you hit something, the seas aren’t that big, the distances aren’t that great and they can get away with it.
By and large the ocean market is owned by glass boats because glass usually rides more comfortably and it’s dryer.
I’ve fished through the US and Caribbean and now live in Australia and alloy boats are few and far between. The local alloy boats are all made with 5mm hulls and 4mm sides and both bar crusher and surtees have a ballast system to hold water at rest and the option to hold it in on plane so the boats heavier, more stable and doesn’t knock ALL of your fillings out at once. They still can’t hold a candle to a glass boat in normal to rough seas and they aren’t usually 50-100km offshore. It takes to long for them to get out there at the speeds they have to travel and they “might” make up 5% of the boats I see out on the water. If I do see them heading out in anything less then ideal conditions I’m usually travelling much, much faster then they are and they appear to be taking more of a beating then I am.

To compare a kingfisher at nearly 5 tons with a 6mm thick hull to a 900-1400lb Lund with a 2mm thick hull is a bit of a stretch, they’re not built for the same conditions.

That's a total apples to oranges comparison as far as I'm concerned - not even the same type of vessel ... you're comparison isn't even close the way I look at it ....

- Lund's biggest boat is 22 feet (Baron) and the average boat on the coast starts at 24' and goes up into 26'-30' sizes commonly and many of them run 2 full sized outboards

- None of Lunds boats have hard tops - almost every boat on the coast has a hard top

- Lund boats are built to be towed behind a vehicle and launched - the coastal boats stay put for the most part of their lives - the tin is lighter because of it

If I was buying a 16-20' boat for the prairies and Kingfisher wouldn't even get a sniff from me - trust me I really was looking hard at them and they are simply not as good for the way I fish and use my boat. Others may disagree, but for a ski/fish and store my fishing stuff - the Lund was my best option.

Now if I lived on the coast - that's a different story - the Lund wouldn't get a sniff. Worthless on the coast.

Maybe we are saying the same thing here I guess.

EZM
08-13-2020, 09:22 PM

I think you nailed it here ....

I'd say the Princecraft, Alumacraft, Crestliner, G3 and Lund are top quality for that market ...... no doubt .... at that point it boils down to little details and what fits you and your needs in my opinion.

Then you have some mid market stuff that's decent for the recreational guy like Smoker, Sylvan, Lowe, PolarKraft, etc.. a far bit cheaper to get into and will be fine for 99% of the people who use them within their capacity.

Then you got the JUNK they sell in "package boats" from the big box stores with pages and pages of horror stories - I won't name brands here because people will hate on me - but I've looked at these and absolutely was amazed at the crap they build. These boats are fraudulently poor products.

ALL of the above are the recreational, inland, lake markets - not coastal boats, not river boats, but recreational inland boats.

EZM
08-13-2020, 09:29 PM

Could be cutting oil (or some other contamination) on the Aluminum when it was cut and put together. The piece may not have been cleaned off properly before they finished it ...... we had that issue on some stuff we fabricated (not boats) but rolled sheet (same as Brunswick uses for boats). The stuff gets cut in the CNC and then degreased -and you have to do that step right if you are finishing the boat.

Yeah, that's a pain, because it needs to be sanded off, get cleaned and re-finished.

OL_JR
08-13-2020, 09:38 PM
I think you nailed it here ....

I'd say the Princecraft, Alumacraft, Crestliner, G3 and Lund are top quality for that market ...... no doubt .... at that point it boils down to little details and what fits you and your needs in my opinion.

Then you have some mid market stuff that's decent for the recreational guy like Smoker, Sylvan, Lowe, PolarKraft, etc.. a far bit cheaper to get into and will be fine for 99% of the people who use them within their capacity.

Then you got the JUNK they sell in "package boats" from the big box stores with pages and pages of horror stories - I won't name brands here because people will hate on me - but I've looked at these and absolutely was amazed at the crap they build. These boats are fraudulently poor products.

ALL of the above are the recreational, inland, lake markets - not coastal boats, not river boats, but recreational inland boats.

Yup anyone who's anyone fishes out of a Lund, really nailed it. Guess I and the other mongrels who don't happen to have one should just bow our head in shame.

Just SMH...lol

Buckhead
08-13-2020, 10:14 PM
Lund has a long history of making quality aluminum boats in Manitoba.
Until Brunswick shut down the factory in Steinbach in 2006 and moved production to Minnesota.
Sad to say the quality has gone downhill, just like a lot of other things.

Coiloil37
08-14-2020, 12:03 AM
That's a total apples to oranges comparison as far as I'm concerned - not even the same type of vessel ... you're comparison isn't even close the way I look at it ....

- Lund's biggest boat is 22 feet (Baron) and the average boat on the coast starts at 24' and goes up into 26'-30' sizes commonly and many of them run 2 full sized outboards

- None of Lunds boats have hard tops - almost every boat on the coast has a hard top

- Lund boats are built to be towed behind a vehicle and launched - the coastal boats stay put for the most part of their lives - the tin is lighter because of it

If I was buying a 16-20' boat for the prairies and Kingfisher wouldn't even get a sniff from me - trust me I really was looking hard at them and they are simply not as good for the way I fish and use my boat. Others may disagree, but for a ski/fish and store my fishing stuff - the Lund was my best option.

Now if I lived on the coast - that's a different story - the Lund wouldn't get a sniff. Worthless on the coast.

Maybe we are saying the same thing here I guess.

Perhaps you should go back to the first page and read it to understand why I wrote what I did. You got close with your last line but your rant makes me think you didn’t see the guys telling us how useless the Lund is because they aren’t used off our Pacific Northwest coast. Or how Hewes craft and kingfisher make a “better” boat then Lund.

58thecat
08-14-2020, 06:03 AM
Top 5 boat manufacturers all have issues periodically....I would always buy a boat based on my needs....even on the coast I could run a Lund....why....because I would like to hit a small lake and enjoy that too....it's all based on personal needs....I fished 20 plus years out on the coast in a tin boat and then hit the back lakes too.....dedicated ocean boat would not be that choice...again it's all about your requirements....needs....wants...desires.....end of the day there is a boat for you out there.

Buckhead
08-14-2020, 09:38 AM
Top 5 boat manufacturers all have issues periodically....I would always buy a boat based on my needs....even on the coast I could run a Lund....why....because I would like to hit a small lake and enjoy that too....it's all based on personal needs....I fished 20 plus years out on the coast in a tin boat and then hit the back lakes too.....dedicated ocean boat would not be that choice...again it's all about your requirements....needs....wants...desires.....end of the day there is a boat for you out there.

That's how I see it, as well.
Any boat is a good boat if it suits your purpose and gets you out on the water.

EZM
08-14-2020, 11:59 AM
Yup anyone who's anyone fishes out of a Lund, really nailed it. Guess I and the other mongrels who don't happen to have one should just bow our head in shame.

Just SMH...lol

Anyone can argue anything they want - like silly useless arguments like rivetted versus welded (when construction and engineering aren't considered) or thickness of hull material …. etc...

But my statement was made on facts.

Things I look at are ….

Marine Ply Floor thickness? stainless hinges on hatches? locking hatches? blue sea wiring harness under the dash? what gauge wire is used? what is the cleat backed under? what is the corner moldings/castings? what is the quality of the seats? bases? pedestals? gauges and aux? canopy? canopy hardware plastic or stainless? how about the zippers and the material? are the hatches lockable? what's the quality of the livewell? how many/what kind of bilge pumps do they have and is one manual and the other a backup? how about lbs of floatation? capacity ratings on vessel? How is the water channeled away from dry storage compartments? are there lift assist on hatches? is the boat have pre wired for radio vhf, fish finders, down riggers and there's power to the blue sea distribution box? is there even a box there? how about being wired for 24v/36v at bow with a plug ready to go? on board battery chargers? Is there a plate installed for remote steering from factory?

How about the resale? The trailer rating for the boat it sits on? max HP the transom can take? LED lights, does it come with brakes? what are the tires and wheels it comes with? does the "factory" trailer come with one dinky carpeted 2x4 bunk on each side - or does it come with 2 full length 2x6 bunks on each side giving the boat 300% more support? what about the trailer suspension? hubs (sealed)?

There are so many things that 95% of the people miss and buy a cheap package boat then cry later when they realize you get what you pay for and it's no one else's fault but their owns for ignoring all these things and having to deal with boat, mounting accessories, wiring, transom, trailer issues down the road.

So, you can "say" all you want and be upset because you feel this was a personal attack of some sort (which wasn't the intent) or you can accept reality and try and be objective and fair to yourself.

The reality is, for the "inland lake production type" recreational boats - there is absolutely no question which boats are better and which ones are not.

That's a fact.

OL_JR
08-15-2020, 07:18 AM
Anyone can argue anything they want - like silly useless arguments like rivetted versus welded (when construction and engineering aren't considered) or thickness of hull material …. etc...

But my statement was made on facts.

Things I look at are ….

Marine Ply Floor thickness? stainless hinges on hatches? locking hatches? blue sea wiring harness under the dash? what gauge wire is used? what is the cleat backed under? what is the corner moldings/castings? what is the quality of the seats? bases? pedestals? gauges and aux? canopy? canopy hardware plastic or stainless? how about the zippers and the material? are the hatches lockable? what's the quality of the livewell? how many/what kind of bilge pumps do they have and is one manual and the other a backup? how about lbs of floatation? capacity ratings on vessel? How is the water channeled away from dry storage compartments? are there lift assist on hatches? is the boat have pre wired for radio vhf, fish finders, down riggers and there's power to the blue sea distribution box? is there even a box there? how about being wired for 24v/36v at bow with a plug ready to go? on board battery chargers? Is there a plate installed for remote steering from factory?

How about the resale? The trailer rating for the boat it sits on? max HP the transom can take? LED lights, does it come with brakes? what are the tires and wheels it comes with? does the "factory" trailer come with one dinky carpeted 2x4 bunk on each side - or does it come with 2 full length 2x6 bunks on each side giving the boat 300% more support? what about the trailer suspension? hubs (sealed)?

There are so many things that 95% of the people miss and buy a cheap package boat then cry later when they realize you get what you pay for and it's no one else's fault but their owns for ignoring all these things and having to deal with boat, mounting accessories, wiring, transom, trailer issues down the road.

So, you can "say" all you want and be upset because you feel this was a personal attack of some sort (which wasn't the intent) or you can accept reality and try and be objective and fair to yourself.

The reality is, for the "inland lake production type" recreational boats - there is absolutely no question which boats are better and which ones are not.

That's a fact.

Oh trust me I'm far from upset and I never took anything as a personal attack, I find it incredibly ironic however that you would make a comment to me about being objective. You get a little up tight when Lund is mentioned in a negative light you can't deny that. That is a fact. If you read through a previous post of mine I said I wouldn't be opposed to a riveted boat from a few manufacturers. Lund is not top of the list but depending on what I'm getting for what I'm paying sure a possibility.

Why you went on long winded tangent about boat characteristics and manufacturers you won't mention is a bit of a head scratcher.

The "anyone who's anyone" comment of the quote you prefaced your post with is what struck me as hilarious and I have no issue addressing stuff like that. It's a silly argument to even vaguely link a persons worth as a fisherman/outdoorsmen with the equipment they choose to run.

elkhunter11
08-15-2020, 11:32 AM
I owned a Rebel 1625XL as did a couple of friends. One friend had hull issues, as did someone else he knows. They definitely are a light duty boat, not suitable for rough water.

EZM
08-15-2020, 07:34 PM
Oh trust me I'm far from upset and I never took anything as a personal attack, I find it incredibly ironic however that you would make a comment to me about being objective. You get a little up tight when Lund is mentioned in a negative light you can't deny that. That is a fact. If you read through a previous post of mine I said I wouldn't be opposed to a riveted boat from a few manufacturers. Lund is not top of the list but depending on what I'm getting for what I'm paying sure a possibility.

Why you went on long winded tangent about boat characteristics and manufacturers you won't mention is a bit of a head scratcher.

The "anyone who's anyone" comment of the quote you prefaced your post with is what struck me as hilarious and I have no issue addressing stuff like that. It's a silly argument to even vaguely link a persons worth as a fisherman/outdoorsmen with the equipment they choose to run.

I didn't say "anyone who is anyone" - where did I say that? go back and read it ????

Anyhow .... Nah - don't get me wrong here - It's not even about being "brand loyal" or "blindly defensive" - like I mentioned there are at 3 other brands (for inland, recreational, high production factory boats) I would consider to be every bit as good.

The only reason I went there is based on you quoting me - go back and have a look at what you said - I think my response was appropriate and proportionate. Either way - I'm not interested in offending anyone and I certainly didn't intent to do that.

If you look at my post, I said, All those brands will have many of those items I listed many people don't look at - and quite sincerely, I wish they did - they would save themselves alot of trouble.

In terms of what someone buys or uses in terms of brand, I don't really see that at all as "someone's worth" I have no idea where you get that - and that's precisely why I didn't mention the names of a few brands that are absolute, undeniable, junk. They are - and I'm not here trying to offend anyone - so I didn't mention them. There also was (not sure if they still are) sponsors on this website that carry this brand and some post have been removed when "the truth" about the quality of that brand comes out.

I am not so old that I can't remember when I couldn't buy what I wanted and had to settle for less - I've had leaky tinners, crappy bubble windshield glass boats and a whole host of crap to deal with - and even a few "other brands" (not the 4 mentioned) as brand new boats - and many were junk. It's incomparable. And based on that, I would offer my opinion is objective. The fact that I am confident and adamant in my opinion doesn't mean I'm not objective.

Either way - no big deal - I'm just trying to be transparent, direct and honest in what I'm saying and backing it up with examples.

Positrac
08-15-2020, 09:49 PM
I still have a soft spot for a 14’ Lund. The first half dozen times I fished Bajo Reef off Nootka were out of a 14 footer back before very few other boats went out there. That was before the advent of the gps and you had to know how to read a compass otherwise if the fog rolled in you would be just guessing which way was back to the lighthouse. In the early 90’s we landed well over a 100 Tyee fishing out of that Lund. Those were the hay-days of Nootka. For every Spring you got in the 20’s you got one over 40. The vast majority of the fish you caught were over 30.

Pretty sad that a decent fish in Nootka now is in the low twenties and some lodges only land a handful over 30 all season.

OL_JR
08-16-2020, 04:52 AM
I didn't say "anyone who is anyone" - where did I say that? go back and read it ????

Anyhow .... Nah - don't get me wrong here - It's not even about being "brand loyal" or "blindly defensive" - like I mentioned there are at 3 other brands (for inland, recreational, high production factory boats) I would consider to be every bit as good.

The only reason I went there is based on you quoting me - go back and have a look at what you said - I think my response was appropriate and proportionate. Either way - I'm not interested in offending anyone and I certainly didn't intent to do that.

If you look at my post, I said, All those brands will have many of those items I listed many people don't look at - and quite sincerely, I wish they did - they would save themselves alot of trouble.

In terms of what someone buys or uses in terms of brand, I don't really see that at all as "someone's worth" I have no idea where you get that - and that's precisely why I didn't mention the names of a few brands that are absolute, undeniable, junk. They are - and I'm not here trying to offend anyone - so I didn't mention them. There also was (not sure if they still are) sponsors on this website that carry this brand and some post have been removed when "the truth" about the quality of that brand comes out.

I am not so old that I can't remember when I couldn't buy what I wanted and had to settle for less - I've had leaky tinners, crappy bubble windshield glass boats and a whole host of crap to deal with - and even a few "other brands" (not the 4 mentioned) as brand new boats - and many were junk. It's incomparable. And based on that, I would offer my opinion is objective. The fact that I am confident and adamant in my opinion doesn't mean I'm not objective.

Either way - no big deal - I'm just trying to be transparent, direct and honest in what I'm saying and backing it up with examples.

I think if you re read post #41 and the quote you used there to preface with it might make more sense as to where I was coming from.

EZM
08-16-2020, 05:25 PM
I think if you re read post #41 and the quote you used there to preface with it might make more sense as to where I was coming from.

I was responding to someone's else's post ........... like I said ....... that statement never came from me.

I'm not interested in going in circles with you.

Like I have stated in my posts - there are a few premium brands out there in that recreational, inland lake, manufactured boat category which are great.

Lund is one of them. I own a Lund for that reason. I will not apologize for that nor will I be vilified or have words put into my mouth.

OL_JR
08-16-2020, 08:31 PM
I was responding to someone's else's post ........... like I said ....... that statement never came from me.

I'm not interested in going in circles with you.

Like I have stated in my posts - there are a few premium brands out there in that recreational, inland lake, manufactured boat category which are great.

Lund is one of them. I own a Lund for that reason. I will not apologize for that nor will I be vilified or have words put into my mouth.

I know and honestly this is getting a bit silly, way off track and I'll take some blame for that however I replied to your post with the quote that you stated "nailed it" just to address two posts in one. I'm just going to leave it there as it seems there is a lot of misinterpretation going on and I as well don't feel like going around in circles.

Not asking you to apologize for anything, that is actually 100% the opposite of my mentality here and I guess I didn't articulate that well enough.

EZM
08-16-2020, 09:25 PM
Perhaps you should go back to the first page and read it to understand why I wrote what I did. You got close with your last line but your rant makes me think you didn’t see the guys telling us how useless the Lund is because they aren’t used off our Pacific Northwest coast. Or how Hewes craft and kingfisher make a “better” boat then Lund.

Yeah actually, should quoted the other contributor - my post was in support of what you were saying and adding to it - sorry - that was kinda awkward actually. lol.

Coiloil37
08-16-2020, 10:39 PM
Yeah actually, should quoted the other contributor - my post was in support of what you were saying and adding to it - sorry - that was kinda awkward actually. lol.

All good mate. I agree and I owned a Lund when I fished Alberta/sask and would again most likely if I moved back.
Now fishing the coast I own a 21’ glass boat and naturally want a bigger one but the wife gave me a budget so I’ll live with what I’ve got. In a couple more years I see a 30’ Boston whaler sitting out front with twin 250’s.

EZM
08-17-2020, 11:19 AM
All good mate. I agree and I owned a Lund when I fished Alberta/sask and would again most likely if I moved back.
Now fishing the coast I own a 21’ glass boat and naturally want a bigger one but the wife gave me a budget so I’ll live with what I’ve got. In a couple more years I see a 30’ Boston whaler sitting out front with twin 250’s.

Unfortunately all the new Boston Walers are Mercs.

I personally prefer the Yamaha twins for anything over 200hp per engine.

Honda's are great too but they max out at 225/250 hp.

Seems to me the only time you see Mercs in the salt is in Florida. Very few on the coast out here I think (at least far fewer compared to other brands).

Coiloil37
08-17-2020, 02:16 PM
Unfortunately all the new Boston Walers are Mercs.

I personally prefer the Yamaha twins for anything over 200hp per engine.

Honda's are great too but they max out at 225/250 hp.

Seems to me the only time you see Mercs in the salt is in Florida. Very few on the coast out here I think (at least far fewer compared to other brands).

Yea to see a merc here is as rare as rocking horse chit. I don’t know if I’ve seen five of them in the past year. The saltwater market is disproportionately OWNED by Suzuki here, then Yamaha and between those two they easily command 90+% of the market. Honda fits in with mercury, probably haven’t seen more then a half dozen of them.

The real sin is that most of the yank built boats are low at the gunnels toward the stern. I haven’t climbed in a 285 conquest yet but it appears to maintain some height around the dance floor which we need because we don’t get the calm seas the ‘mericans are spoiled with.

I need something a little bigger to sleep the family and be able to put a gyro in. The wife’s prone to getting sick in seas over a meter, meter and a half and she won’t sleep five on the boat we’ve got. Later this week I’ll take the boys to a chain of islands about 400km north and 60km offshore for a few days of fishing and with a larger boat the girls could come too.

We are going to sleep inside the lagoon here on lady Musgrave and fish north up the string of islands. Probably more reconnaissance then success being as I’ve never been there but a mans got to start somewhere.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200817/6fb755a3f66430c2c82bff7043cb8552.jpg

EZM
08-17-2020, 02:47 PM
That is really cool …………. a private island there !!!! Looks sketchy getting in there without white knuckling.

Coiloil37
08-17-2020, 04:15 PM
That is really cool …………. a private island there !!!! Looks sketchy getting in there without white knuckling.

Seems to be plenty of room and it’s well marked.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200817/86fb3b09b38b1959c92866b98db3d43d.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200817/a52e99eda4c81ea8e161256fdecb05d7.jpg

fish99
08-19-2020, 10:11 PM
Its signs of Transom rot. I would have it checked out . Take it to Free Spirit Marine in Edmonton. They will know.

i will give thane a call , thats where i bought it.