PDA

View Full Version : Mini Jet Boats?

ehrgeiz
08-20-2020, 02:58 PM
Just curious if anyone has experience with these small inboard jet boats? It seems BulletProof Welding out of Mayerthorpe manufactures some, some DIY, some higher end like the Firefish out of Innisfail.

I see them on Kijiji here and there for $8 - $20k depending on how they're outfitted and built and the length. 10', 12', 13'. I've seen the 13' ones can have a little jump seat for kids behind the driver/passenger seats.

I've got a lake boat covered so this is purely a river runner. Generally I would see it as a tool to run upstream, find some decent water, beach it, hop out and fly fish.

Are these things just silly toys with very little practicality? My 16 year old self really really likes the idea of a 200hp 12' jet boat. My more practical self thinks I might be more content with an Explorer 16' outboard...

Open to anyone's thoughts, opinions and experience on the subject.

EZM
08-20-2020, 05:10 PM
Just curious if anyone has experience with these small inboard jet boats? It seems BulletProof Welding out of Mayerthorpe manufactures some, some DIY, some higher end like the Firefish out of Innisfail.

I see them on Kijiji here and there for $8 - $20k depending on how they're outfitted and built and the length. 10', 12', 13'. I've seen the 13' ones can have a little jump seat for kids behind the driver/passenger seats.

I've got a lake boat covered so this is purely a river runner. Generally I would see it as a tool to run upstream, find some decent water, beach it, hop out and fly fish.

Are these things just silly toys with very little practicality? My 16 year old self really really likes the idea of a 200hp 12' jet boat. My more practical self thinks I might be more content with an Explorer 16' outboard...

Open to anyone's thoughts, opinions and experience on the subject.

Wow that cheap's - to even find a 75/50hp with a jet leg on a tinner to run the river it would cost as much. I think the tinner could be more useful - but wouldn't be as fun as a 200hp jet - that's for sure.

Jayhad
08-20-2020, 09:52 PM
I have one, an 11' with a few hundred HP.
It's a Cope hull that was welded up by Walker Custom Aluminum Boats, both in Duncan.
It is 6061 1/4" bottom, .160 on the sides and transom and .100 on accessories.

in looking at the mayerthorpe kijiji boat they appear to use 8' sections with seams and the stringer count looks a little low to me, stringers are important on a little rockhopper however you get what you pay for.

you can find used 9's for $12,000 to $15,000. You can get a turnkey boat the ones i've looked at spec'd the way i have mine would cost $50,000-$55,000.

I'll be into mine for $32,000 when fully completed.

look at Jetstream Adventure Boats, Minijet Inc. or my current personal favorite currently, Rockfish.

Jetstream has the best kits and when I do another mini I'll go that route with an Indmar 2.3 ecoboost.

ehrgeiz
08-21-2020, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the posts. That Jetstream Adventure Boat's Buccaneer looks bang on what I would be after. Not sure they offer completed boats though.

Jayhad, has your boat been in the water or are you still building it?

Seems like $50-55k would get you into some higher end, used large jet boats. I see a 17' Firefish Prianna for sale right now asking $48k.

The appeal of the mini jets is bang for the buck and the ability to walk them off gravel/rock bars with ease. Also, keen on the ability to store the mini's in my garage for the winter.

Jayhad
08-21-2020, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the posts. That Jetstream Adventure Boat's Buccaneer looks bang on what I would be after. Not sure they offer completed boats though.

Jayhad, has your boat been in the water or are you still building it?

Seems like $50-55k would get you into some higher end, used large jet boats. I see a 17' Firefish Prianna for sale right now asking $48k.

The appeal of the mini jets is bang for the buck and the ability to walk them off gravel/rock bars with ease. Also, keen on the ability to store the mini's in my garage for the winter.

The buccaneer is the boat, Jetstream offers them welded but I don't think turn key. But you could have Jetstream ship you a hull to Brewster West Industries in Turner Valley. They've been building a few lately.

I wish mine was in the water, probably october. just finished the stomprate and intake base plate install and the boat is upside down with the UHMW template. When I get home I hope to throw the UHMW on and then flip it again to finish the interior and power it. I have a Yamaha 1300 for. I'm doing a dog house like the 4 seat buccaneers. front seats on pedestals.

I'll try to put up some pics.

I like the idea of the mini to run smaller creeks that a 17' can't realistically run and fish. A guy and his boy can muscle them off the beach, and 80Ltrs goes a long way.

You are right about the cost, a bigger boat is much more.

Jayhad
08-23-2020, 02:21 PM
Here are some pics.
I started with a windscreen, adding a JetStream window kit.
Removed the cock pit bulk head to allow for more room and 4 seats.
Welded in the floor bracing
Just finished the UHMW template and should have that installed this week.
I'll keep the pics coming

roper1
08-23-2020, 03:57 PM
Neat thread Thanks for the pics!

raw outdoors
08-23-2020, 06:25 PM
I have one, an 11' with a few hundred HP.
It's a Cope hull that was welded up by Walker Custom Aluminum Boats, both in Duncan.
It is 6061 1/4" bottom, .160 on the sides and transom and .100 on accessories.

in looking at the mayerthorpe kijiji boat they appear to use 8' sections with seams and the stringer count looks a little low to me, stringers are important on a little rockhopper however you get what you pay for.

you can find used 9's for $12,000 to $15,000. You can get a turnkey boat the ones i've looked at spec'd the way i have mine would cost $50,000-$55,000.

I'll be into mine for $32,000 when fully completed.

look at Jetstream Adventure Boats, Minijet Inc. or my current personal favorite currently, Rockfish.

Jetstream has the best kits and when I do another mini I'll go that route with an Indmar 2.3 ecoboost.

Have you priced out a Indmar 2.3 and a jet kit ? Wondering why the price tag is can’t seem to find it anyplace ?

Albany
08-23-2020, 09:42 PM
Have you priced out a Indmar 2.3 and a jet kit ? Wondering why the price tag is can’t seem to find it anyplace ?

The 2.3 is an awesome engine but you would have to tie it to a pump (at /hj/ etc) making the total package big and heavy for a smaller boat. Even a 2.3 with an hj 212 in a 16 piranha takes up 1/3 of the boat.

I will say I don’t have a mini... but they look to be about as much fun as you can get. Jayhad- I think I used to see you down at Carseland early season (I’ve got the Koffler sled...) bring that mini down there when you get it done, I’d love to see that boat rip!

Jayhad
08-24-2020, 11:20 AM
The 2.3 is an awesome engine but you would have to tie it to a pump (at /hj/ etc) making the total package big and heavy for a smaller boat. Even a 2.3 with an hj 212 in a 16 piranha takes up 1/3 of the boat.

I will say I don’t have a mini... but they look to be about as much fun as you can get. Jayhad- I think I used to see you down at Carseland early season (I’ve got the Koffler sled...) bring that mini down there when you get it done, I’d love to see that boat rip!

the eco jet package from Indmar is very competitive in both size and weight.
I haven't seen the ecojet in person yet but guys I know have said it is no different weight wise than Scott in the same size.
The 2.3 is complete at 350lbs
Yamaha GP1200 Non PV 135HP 144lbs
Yamaha SVHO 1.8L 260HP 261lbs
Seadoo 4tec SC 1.5L 215HP 218lbs

Kawasaki 15f 160HP 197lbs
Yamaha 1.8L NA 180HP 248lbs

Seadoo 787 110HP 87lbs
Seadoo 951 130HP 125lbs
Yamaha 701 80HP 80lbs
Yamaha 1100 triple 110HP 128lbs
Yamaha 1200 PV 155hp 217lbs
Kawasaki 1100 110HP 189lbs
Kawasaki 300HP 236lbs
Yamaha 800 twin 66e 131lbs
Kawasaki triple 900: without Ebox 146lbs with ebox 156.8
Kawasaki 750: 92lbs weights from MINIJET

none of the above weights include the intercooler or hosing for those engines needing it.

It is a little heavier but not to the point of being an hinderance in my opinion.
the COPE hulls over 12' are designed to run up to a Subaru 2.0ltr boxer engine and I've seen a few minis with Sportjets in them and the SJ weighs 367lbs. So it's not that big of a stretch to use the Indmar 2.3.

Jayhad
08-24-2020, 11:52 AM

I have rough pricing, I don't plan on building my next boat until 2024 and I think we'll see better pricing by then.

I have been told the engine & pump package is $22,000CDN, the engine is $16,000-$18,000CDN and the pump is $6,000-$8,000.

Some may balk at those prices but I have almost $5000 into my pump and I had to mickey mouse multiple parts to make it work the drop in pump sounds easy to me. A new Merc 80HP jet outboard is $15,200.

I think most aren't listing a price right now as the supply is going to boat manufacturers first, the list of manufacturers that have switched to this package is crazy.

Albany
08-24-2020, 11:56 AM
the eco jet package from Indmar is very competitive in both size and weight.
I haven't seen the ecojet in person yet but guys I know have said it is no different weight wise than Scott in the same size.
The 2.3 is complete at 350lbs
Yamaha GP1200 Non PV 135HP 144lbs
Yamaha SVHO 1.8L 260HP 261lbs
Seadoo 4tec SC 1.5L 215HP 218lbs

Kawasaki 15f 160HP 197lbs
Yamaha 1.8L NA 180HP 248lbs

Seadoo 787 110HP 87lbs
Seadoo 951 130HP 125lbs
Yamaha 701 80HP 80lbs
Yamaha 1100 triple 110HP 128lbs
Yamaha 1200 PV 155hp 217lbs
Kawasaki 1100 110HP 189lbs
Kawasaki 300HP 236lbs
Yamaha 800 twin 66e 131lbs
Kawasaki triple 900: without Ebox 146lbs with ebox 156.8
Kawasaki 750: 92lbs weights from MINIJET

none of the above weights include the intercooler or hosing for those engines needing it.

It is a little heavier but not to the point of being an hinderance in my opinion.
the COPE hulls over 12' are designed to run up to a Subaru 2.0ltr boxer engine and I've seen a few minis with Sportjets in them and the SJ weighs 367lbs. So it's not that big of a stretch to use the Indmar 2.3.

It may not be max weight but excessive in such a small boat. A 2.3 with basic fluid is 507 lbs as per indmar (not 350lbs)- plus another approx 80-100lbs for a pump and stomp grate (say sd 203) - 600+ lbs is a lot of weight in the back of a small boat. I can tell you this is also something builders are taking into consideration. I have been talking to a builder about getting a new boat built (16-17 foot centre console). I was originally dead set on the 2.3 + and Hj 212 but after a discussions with firefish I may end up going with the rotax all due to the overall weight of the motor / pump combo and space in a smaller boat.

Cheers

Jayhad
08-24-2020, 12:03 PM
It may not be max weight but excessive in such a small boat. A 2.3 with basic fluid is 507 lbs as per indmar (not 350lbs)- plus another approx 80-100lbs for a pump and stomp grate (say sd 203) - 600+ lbs is a lot of weight in the back of a small boat. I can tell you this is also something builders are taking into consideration. I have been talking to a builder about getting a new boat built (16-17 foot centre console). I was originally dead set on the 2.3 + and Hj 212 but after a discussions with firefish I may end up going with the rotax all due to the overall weight of the motor / pump combo and space in a smaller boat.

Cheers

I like the Rotax package size, I don't care for the maintenance schedule. Being a mini there's only so much I can do with space, I've got a 6 1/2' cockpit and 4' dog house haha.

why build the boat out with a 212 and not the ECO jet Indmar has designed for the package? I am legitimately wondering as I noticed that some of our local builders are sticking with the hammys. I understand their historical performance but I haven't heard of any negatives on the ECOjet yet. but I haven't heard anyone running them in turbid waters yet.

Good chat, this site has needed some jet talk

you are correct on the 2.3 weight, for some reason if you google Indmar 2.3 ecoboost weight all the quick answers come up with the torque #, my mistake I hadn't noticed this earlier and gives your argument much more creedance

Albany
08-24-2020, 12:12 PM
I like the Rotax package size, I don't care for the maintenance schedule. Being a mini there's only so much I can do with space, I've got a 6 1/2' cockpit and 4' dog house haha.

why build the boat out with a 212 and not the ECO jet Indmar has designed for the package? I am legitimately wondering as I noticed that some of our local builders are sticking with the hammys. I understand their historical performance but I haven't heard of any negatives on the ECOjet yet. but I haven't heard anyone running them in turbid waters yet.

Good chat, this site has needed some jet talk

I asked the same thing (indmar pump), apparently it is not a strong performer to the point that none of the reputable builders are using them. Firefish is only pairing the 2.3 to the 212, 309 or 3 stage kodiak and most of the PNW builders are doing the same.

It was refreshing to see that rotax is now offering an aluminum intake over the original plastic. Nothing is without its problems especially jet boats. Some guys with the rotax say they are far better performers than the SJ, others have had pump/gate problems right off the bat.

robfraser
08-24-2020, 12:18 PM
I have a 17.5 foot welded jet hull for sale for $4000.
Have the same hull finished with a 120 sport jet which works awesome on lake or river.

Jayhad
08-24-2020, 12:26 PM
I asked the same thing (indmar pump), apparently it is not a strong performer to the point that none of the reputable builders are using them. Firefish is only pairing the 2.3 to the 212, 309 or 3 stage kodiak and most of the PNW builders are doing the same.

It was refreshing to see that rotax is now offering an aluminum intake over the original plastic. Nothing is without its problems especially jet boats. Some guys with the rotax say they are far better performers than the SJ, others have had pump/gate problems right off the bat.

Good points to think about.
For quite a while I was set on the Rotax with a Scott 812, those pumps turn rocks to dust in NZ. But the 100 hour rebuild has me concerned, but you could just consider the rebuild part of your winterizing.

Having a boat built with the rotax is one thing building a boat and trying to obtain one is a PITA, basically buy a ski and wreck it.

Is there much of cost difference in pricing the boat with a 2.3 vs a rotax?
Are they mating the Rotax to a real pump or sticking with the seadoo unit?
PS a 16' CC would be sick, there's a guy running a 14' Bratt CC here in Calgary

Albany
08-24-2020, 12:48 PM
For quite a while I was set on the Rotax with a Scott 812, those pumps turn rocks to dust in NZ. But the 100 hour rebuild has me concerned, but you could just consider the rebuild part of your winterizing.

Having a boat built with the rotax is one thing building a boat and trying to obtain one is a PITA, basically buy a ski and wreck it.

That’s the biggest problem right now with rotax/PPi. PPI will only see the units to OEM... no one off unit sales which to me seems like they are shooting themselves in the foot. So yeah - smash a jet ski! I would think they would be very popular in the market this thread started off discussing before I ran it off the rails. Sorry my jayhad and I should take this into a new thread

When comparing a rotax vs 2.3 yes there is a significant difference. Keep in mind that that 2.3 is already expensive, and if you want a 212 add another $10k or Scott $12k (?)

leadpillproductions
07-28-2021, 01:23 AM
Figured id bump it up to the top see how your search is coming , Im just about finishing mine . 3.8 meter watts craft with my custom flare in it for a hunting skinny river boat. Water ready in 2 to 3 weeks just waiting on cables.

dodgeboy1979
07-28-2021, 08:45 AM

they are matching the Rotax with a seadoo unit, the motor has insane power but the pump has a hard time not cavitating when you throttle up real fast.

Jayhad
07-29-2021, 02:22 PM
Figured id bump it up to the top see how your search is coming , Im just about finishing mine . 3.8 meter watts craft with my custom flare in it for a hunting skinny river boat. Water ready in 2 to 3 weeks just waiting on cables.

you got pics?
I figure I'm a month or two a way from being in the water.