PDA

View Full Version : YAK Fishing Question - Motors

Kawibunga
08-20-2020, 03:42 PM
Yes I know there's paddle vs pedal etc......... but I was just wondering. If you had access to a propulsion system of lets say negligible weight (15 lbs lets say), that was quiet (no ringading two stroke - more like a warp drive, ok maybe not) that could be foot controlled (direction and throttle) and could give you 4 hours of constant use............ would you want it?........... and let's say it's easy to add and remove from your Yak. Don't think of a traditional electric trolling motor off the front of a boat, more like a POD mounted underneath.

Smoky buck
08-20-2020, 03:55 PM
Been doing lots of research on kayaks and have found multiple kayaks that come with electric motors

Kawibunga
08-20-2020, 04:00 PM
Been doing lots of research on kayaks and have found multiple kayaks that come with electric motors

Ya, I've seen a few options, but nothing I thought was good enough. You have some links to share? Curious if it's something I haven't seen. Thinking about a winter side project, and what features a guy would actually want.......

Smoky buck
08-20-2020, 04:04 PM
Don’t do links because I am not tech savvy

If you checkout old town and wilderness systems both have electric motor options. There is others too

Kawibunga
08-20-2020, 04:19 PM
https://oldtowncanoe.johnsonoutdoors.com/old-town-sportsman/fishing/sportsman-autopilot-136

https://www.wildernesssystems.com/us/products/helix-md%E2%84%A2-motor-drive

Ya, the built in motor ones like that are pretty slick, but it's a $3500 USD machine. I'm thinking more like would you add one to your $500 - $1500 Yak. But after looking at it, ya those are sure nice.......

aulrich
08-20-2020, 04:21 PM
https://www.torqeedo.com/us/en-us?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvvj5BRDkARIsAGD9vlLLvnuSrY00QvMC_ ecWmmZUjxqr5PDjwup7O9thwXT8BtLzGIPo9jAaArR2EALw_wc B

a more generic option

Kawibunga
08-20-2020, 04:31 PM
https://www.torqeedo.com/us/en-us?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvvj5BRDkARIsAGD9vlLLvnuSrY00QvMC_ ecWmmZUjxqr5PDjwup7O9thwXT8BtLzGIPo9jAaArR2EALw_wc B

a more generic option

Good info........ I obviously didn't search enough...... and for my next great idea I'm going to invent a phone without an actual key pad!! :bad_boys_20:

Seems to be a significant price point for what's actually out there thought, but maybe guys don't blink on dropping $1500 - $2000 on propulsion.

RavYak
08-20-2020, 06:41 PM
No, 4 hrs is pointless. If you can figure out how to get 20 hrs and light weight then I would be interested.

For a half decent system you need a motor, propulsion system and a battery. To get significant battery life and reasonable weight it has to be lithium based and a fair size. That is why any decent system is expensive (primarily battery cost).

HuyFishin
08-20-2020, 10:09 PM
I think oldtowns Minn kota autopilot is the best on the market right now.

Jackson kayaks E drive can be swapped on and off of the pedal drive in 30 seconds. You can choose if you want electric vs pedal that day. But it doesnt have GPS and autopiloit like oldtown.

I dont know if I would want electric. Now you have to deal with battery maintenance and charging. Pedal drive is pretty reliable and it doesnt usually fail unless you busted the ankles lol

58thecat
08-21-2020, 06:03 AM
Jeepers...pull up plug area and slip in a 2hp gas motor.....putt...putt...putt...or a min Kota....jimmy rig about anything if you want.:)

Coiloil37
08-21-2020, 03:10 PM
I know a guy who built a little outboard for his yak with a weed whacker, the right angle drive from a busted 1/2” drill and an electric minn kota prop. Cheap, noisy and effective. If it made more torque you could probably waterski behind it when it’s wound out, the thing flat out flies when he sticks into it.

Vapor
08-21-2020, 03:29 PM
I went with Motorguide xi3 45lb thrust on my Jackson Big Rig, (works with my Lowrance). I run a 12V 110Ah group 31 deep cycle AGM battery, and added a katana prop that increased the efficiency another 30%. I can troll all day without issue. I didn't go with Jackson's e-drive because I didn't feel it had run its course yet in the real world. Plus I'd have had to remove the pedal drive which I like to keep available as a backup incase anything happened to the trolling motor.

58thecat
08-21-2020, 03:34 PM
I went with Motorguide xi3 45lb thrust on my Jackson Big Rig, (works with my Lowrance). I run a 12V 110Ah group 31 deep cycle AGM battery, and added a katana prop that increased the efficiency another 30%. I can troll all day without issue. I didn't go with Jackson's e-drive because I didn't feel it had run its course yet in the real world. Plus I'd have had to remove the pedal drive which I like to keep available as a backup incase anything happened to the trolling motor.

that is one sweet set up...holy moly yaks have come a long way...would call yours a freightliner type vessel!!!! Now the magic question...does it catch? :)

watching youtube vids on oldtown minnkota powered yaks...very nice too....spot lock etc...wow.

Vapor
08-21-2020, 03:57 PM
that is one sweet set up...holy moly yaks have come a long way...would call yours a freightliner type vessel!!!! Now the magic question...does it catch? :)

watching youtube vids on oldtown minnkota powered yaks...very nice too....spot lock etc...wow.

lol ... It catches, (at least when the fish are biting). ;) Funny thing is you can have all the latest and greatest gear and if the fish aren't cooperating everyone gets humbled.

For me this build was more about safety and comfort. I don't have enough space in my garage for a full on boat. The Big Rig was pretty much the largest thing I could buy and still hang it on the wall at the end of the day. Its super stable, and I can stand in it to fish without issue when I want to stretch my legs or site fish. Sonar, anchor system, and tolling motor are simply creature comforts for me and obviously not needed to have a great time on the water. Love this thing, and highly recommend it for anyone wanting to try fishing in a kayak.

HuyFishin
08-21-2020, 04:47 PM

I believe one of the old town minnkotas won yak of the year at for Icast.

58thecat
08-22-2020, 07:35 AM
lol ... It catches, (at least when the fish are biting). ;) Funny thing is you can have all the latest and greatest gear and if the fish aren't cooperating everyone gets humbled.

For me this build was more about safety and comfort. I don't have enough space in my garage for a full on boat. The Big Rig was pretty much the largest thing I could buy and still hang it on the wall at the end of the day. Its super stable, and I can stand in it to fish without issue when I want to stretch my legs or site fish. Sonar, anchor system, and tolling motor are simply creature comforts for me and obviously not needed to have a great time on the water. Love this thing, and highly recommend it for anyone wanting to try fishing in a kayak.

That is what my pelican 120 strike wants to be when it grows up!!!!!:)

I have a question to all the yak fella's and gals...when does a yak stop being a yak and is called a boat?

With the size etc they are bigger then a small tin boat in many cases....

HuyFishin
08-22-2020, 07:38 AM
All yak fellas already call the yak a boat. Haha

58thecat
08-22-2020, 07:40 AM
I believe one of the old town minnkotas won yak of the year at for Icast.

I just watched a YouTube video and a fella pointed out a lot of flaws on this yak....holds water in areas it should or areas that should be dry....rails put in odd places....not a stable vessel in surf due to,the design of the back end...a bugger to paddle if your stranded due to the hull design....guess there is a niche for different yaks but if your gonna put lots of cash out I would like a very versatile yak....kinda to take on most types of fishing with no issues, storage etc....what truly is a all around yak out there?...yes peddle drive, easy to paddle...hull design to take surf, larger waves, easy to load and get to small bodies of water etc....hmmmmm.....ideas.