PDA

View Full Version : Walleye Jigging

Deano85
08-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Hi, im looking for tips on jigging for walley. Like what colors of heads and bodys work well for you. Also what kind of rig setup you are using, thanks.

Beazer
08-08-2009, 09:32 AM
I think it totally depends on where, and how deep you plan on doing this.
Usual for me
Heads-Glo, White, Black, Orange, Bright green
Tails-Almost always dblt tails-white, lime green, white/pink mix, orange, canary yellow

I like to use heavier heads than normal but it all depends how fast you want it to dive, or what depth you want to fish.
I would get a pack of each of those colours and get a mix of heads in the 3/8oz to 1/2oz range

I like to use beefheart, as it looks like a leech, smells, yet stays on all day.

Try to jig on mushy bottoms, I find that works best unless you go deep.

npauls
08-08-2009, 06:29 PM
max gap glo jigs in whatever colors they come in and depending on the depth what size I am using. I don't even use a body just bait up and go. Seems to work pretty good for me most of the time. I try to fish structured points while jigging.

Beazer
08-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Yeah, you've gotta fish the timber and lose hooks.
If you pull of like most people do you won't catch as much.

Junglejake
08-09-2009, 07:10 PM
At Slave Lake...Green jig with a worm. Cast out and reel in slow (stop and go) so that it drags on the bottom. Or you can just hang it over the side of your boat so that its an inch or so off the bottom. Works good for me!

Junglejake

jrcw
08-09-2009, 07:30 PM
The lighter the jig the easier it is for the fish to inhale. Go only as heavy as necessary. Also pay attention to how the hook will sit once in the water. For some presentations facing up is considered better for hooksets. There are a hundred different kinds of jigs, each with their own specific uses. Check out the basspro.com site, they have tons. You can also buy molds, lead, hooks, and paint and make your own. If you go through a lot of jigs you can save some money. Plus, it's fun! Just don't breathe the fumes! Also check out the new hollow-body swimbaits and scented worms/leeches.