PDA

View Full Version : New to forum/fishing

Skyhoof
08-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Hi all,

after a month of scanning through the forum, trying to pick up on some tips and techniques for fishing, finally decided to make a new thread and say hi to the community.

I'm just starting to get into the sport of fishing this summer. Only been out fishing a couple times on the NSR, havn't caught anything yet :cry: but I'm sure I will catch something eventually.

I have lots to earn still and hopefully will be able to make lots of friends here!

Cheers!

tonyflyfish
08-08-2009, 07:34 PM
welcome!

Sandalius
08-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Welcome to the forum, tons of good info and some great people too.

Tuc
08-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Welcome aboard!

Skyhoof
08-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys :), been trying to make sure I am following all of the regulations while fishing. Don't think i've broken any yet! Going fishing again tomorrow on NSR in the morning to see if i can get better luck!

Geezle
08-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Where are you fishing the NSR?

It sounds like I'm pretty much in the same situation as you. Trying to get back into fishing after several years out of it, and I've only been able to get out fishing in the NSR at Devon a couple times, with no luck.

Maybe one of these days if I ever have some time we can hook up and give it a shot together...at least we can have some company while we don't catch fish out of that river!

Anyway, good luck tomorrow, and welcome to the forum! :wave:

Wulfespirit
08-08-2009, 09:48 PM
How can you not catch fish on the NSR? ;)

Both of you guys go buy some pickerel rigs. Bait them with shiners or earthworms. Cast them out, let them sit, and you WILL get bites.

Welcome to the world of angling, Skyhoof. :)

Geezle
08-08-2009, 10:06 PM
How can you not catch fish on the NSR? ;)

Both of you guys go buy some pickerel rigs. Bait them with shiners or earthworms. Cast them out, let them sit, and you WILL get bites.

Welcome to the world of angling, Skyhoof. :)

Exactly what I was doing (tried using minnows, earth worms and leeches)...I think location had a little to do with my issues though...just as I was leaving my 2nd try out there, the light was just right and I was able to see it was actually quite shallow where I was.

My biggest problem is not enough time to get out and give it another shot! That and I'm new to river fishing...need to learn how to read the water and find the fish!

Wulfespirit
08-08-2009, 10:35 PM
I used to catch tons of fish on rigs in NE Edmonton. Park your vehicle at Hermitage Park Pond and walk to the river from there (no more than a few hundred yards). Put your rigs out there - I caught probably 10 different species doing it.

JessePat
08-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Yup, lots of spots on the NSR. I really suggest going to the fishing hole and getting a free map of the NSR with all the hot spots. Also ask them what spots are producing. So many fisherman go through and tell them whats been producing and what hasn't been so they are a wealth of information. I wouldn't even do a pickeral rig. I would buy a the single snelled hook with the metal leaders and have a weight and cast it in. The current will keep the bait off the bottom and you will have less chance of your line getting wrapped. I fought the NSR for my first year and it finally felt so good to get my first fish in it. Once you get the hot spots you will find it hard not to catch fish. Tight Lines!

Geezle
08-08-2009, 11:20 PM
JessePat - Thanks for the tips! I didn't know that The Fishin' Hole had a map of the NSR, I'll have to check that out. Learning about things like this is what makes this forum great!

And Skyhoof...sorry if we're kinda hajacking your thread :innocent:

Skyhoof
08-09-2009, 06:52 AM
JessePat - Thanks for the tips! I didn't know that The Fishin' Hole had a map of the NSR, I'll have to check that out. Learning about things like this is what makes this forum great!

And Skyhoof...sorry if we're kinda hajacking your thread :innocent:

Np, lots of good information that I can use as well :D!

Well, heading out to NSR again!