PDA

View Full Version : Fish finder advice

FisherPotch
06-07-2007, 04:13 PM
So I got a cheap fish finder last year, mainly for depth and water temp. I'm not sure how useful it is for finding fish. It will show fish on the screen quite frequently but I'm not that sure that they really are fish. When it is set on auto it controls the sensitivity and there always seems to be fish on it. But when I put it on manual and adjust the sensitivity so that it is just a little less sensitive it shows me nothing. The sensitivity adjustment is by percent and in auto it always seems to be in the mid to high 90's, if I adjust it to the low 90's it usually doesn’t pick up any thing.

There are a couple modes to choose from. One mode shows a bunch of pixels in the shape of a fish and the other shows pixels in various shapes. In the instructions the shape that they point out as a fish is an upside down U but I have never seen this shape.

Like I said this is a cheap unit and I don't have the highest of expectations. I'm just wondering if anyone out there may know how I should have it set up, or if it is useless as a fish finder. I bought it for a little over $100 new so it's far from a quality unit.