PDA

View Full Version : Small Lures=Small Fish...Big Lures Big Fish

Junglejake
08-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Small Lures=Small Fish...Big Lures=Big Fish!

Whats your take on the above statement?

Thx!
Junglejake

fishman
08-09-2009, 04:20 PM

Thx!
Junglejake

Well if u caught a 26 rainbow on a #16 chromoid u would disagree with what u said as there is not a simple answer to that as it depends on the hatch,time of the year,lake etc

JessePat
08-09-2009, 04:45 PM
We ha a huge discussion on this a couple of months ago actually. Ha ha. I think it really depends on what type of species. If you take pike for example, they will not waste their energy trying to catch smaller prey. So, yes I believe the statement to be true. But there will always be big fish you catch on little lures and little fish that bite lures the same size as them.

thundergrey
08-09-2009, 04:52 PM

Thx!
Junglejake

You may catch some big fish with small hooks. But you will never catch small fish with a big hook...

Cal
08-09-2009, 05:23 PM
I dissagree with that thunder. Depending on what your fishing for and what your idea of a big fish and a small lure is of course. Ive caught yellow pearch on 1/2oz spinnerbaits while fishing for pike, I regularly catch what I would call small walleye on size 18 rapalas (the largest one you can get at canadian tire/wallmart, about 7 inches long I think). Ive even caught a bunch of goldeye on various sized walleye and pike lures including the size 18 rapalas I just mentioned. There is no question that pike will hit a hook that is only slightly smaller than they are, but I have not caught small trout on lures longer than 2 inches though so maby there the rules change.

-JR-
08-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Most Alberta lake fish will try and bite the tail of a fish half of its own length.
Not sure if they are just playing tag or what ,if they are not ,the spoon should be in their mouth and not just hooked in their lips.
Just a thought.But who realy knows.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Homewreacker/WabJuly182009002.jpg

Cal
08-09-2009, 06:08 PM
So when you catch a 10 lb pike hooked in the lips like that do you think he was just playing tag?

Beazer
08-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Pike have a proven scientific tendency to eat fish 1/4 of their size.
I agree with the above statement particularly with aggresive species.
But I believe it relates to most lurse that are meant to imitate fsh.
So fly's replicating insects might not be included in the above statement.

I used alot bigger crankbaits this year and I caught some massive fish just from shore in Sask. Places I would normally catch max 2lbers, I pulled up 5, 7, and 8lbers.

cribfisher
08-09-2009, 07:30 PM
At coal lake last year I had a couple days where I was fishing 8 to 10 inch sardines and caught about 25 pike from as little as 14 inchs to about 4 lbs but when I switched to just a small chunk of sardine on a 1/4 oz jig I caught 6 with the smallest being 10 lbs and the biggest tipping my scale at 16 lbs. I guess some days the big ones just feel like snacking.

-JR-
08-09-2009, 08:22 PM
I find some pike will feed on large fish in the morning and will go for smaller fish in the afternoon because they are still 90% full.
This is why I switch from large spoons to small spoons in the after noon .
My bigger spoons just don't catch anything in the after noon.
But what do I know !

burbotman14
08-09-2009, 08:32 PM
I caught my biggest pike on a jig-head and a minnow and the year before we were using 8 inch herring. It all depends on the time of year and time of day like JR said. Not to mention didn't that guy at Fishing lake in Saskatchewan catch that 40 pound pike on a fairly small jig.

Cal
08-09-2009, 09:53 PM
The biggest pike I've ever caught was on a 3 or 4 inch bass popper, I've also had days where all I could get the pike to bite on was 3" jigs. So they sure will bite on smaller hooks. But I would have to say that the majority of big fish I have caught were caught on lures that were realatively large for the species with perch and trout defying this rule of thumb the most often. Caught lots of small ones on big hooks as well as big ones on little hooks too.

Pretty much any conclusion you can come with on any species of fish is general at best and they will regularly defy your logic. You can also catch big pike shallow in mid summer, you can catch trout on a streamer when they are surface feeding, I've caught some of my biggest grayling in fast shallow riffles rather than deep pools. But I'm not going to base my fishing methods around what I concider exceptions to the rule. There are no set rules of fishing that will work under all conditions on all species of fish, but as a theory that will probably prove more or less true over a lifetime of fishing (which is about all you can ask from any fishing theory) Big fish Big bait is a pretty good rule of thumb.

pikester
08-09-2009, 10:37 PM

Thx!
Junglejake

Up until 10 years ago I would have agreed mostly with your statement but I have personally witnessed, caught, & talked to enough other anglers to debunk the myth that you need big lures to catch big fish. The biggest brown trout I've ever seen landed at the Bow (28") took a size 18 nymph. I've seen 20" bull trout caught on size 12 dry flies. Pike especially suprise me. My first 20lb pike was caught on a 4" countdown Rapala, in fact probably more 15-30lb pike are caught on 4-7" spoons, crankbaits, & plastics than any other size lure:huh:

Having said all that though there is still something macho-cool about landing a big fish on a lure bigger than your hand:evilgrin:

mooseknuckle
08-10-2009, 10:42 AM
You may catch some big fish with small hooks. But you will never catch small fish with a big hook...

Untrue Wabamun yesterday buddy caught like 11-12 inch perch on a #2 len thompson spoon.

Junglejake
08-10-2009, 11:50 PM
Great comments thanks!

brianscott
08-11-2009, 12:06 AM
look up the 20/20 club for flyfishing

20 inch fish on a size 20 fly

lambski
08-11-2009, 10:56 AM
I used to think bigger was better untill a few years ago. Once I started fishing chronimids that changed completely. It seems fairly simple, match whats hatching, size, colour and your in buisness.:p

TippyCanoe
08-11-2009, 11:02 AM
The quality of your catch is not dicated by the size of the lure...it's how you wiggle it

jts1
08-11-2009, 11:04 AM
The quality of your catch is not dicated by the size of the lure...it's how you wiggle it

LOL Shut up Jeff.....:evilgrin: