PDA

View Full Version : Bigger is Better

King Midas
08-09-2009, 07:32 PM
After losing two fish to my jig heads being straightened, I am wondering if there are thicker jig head hooks that I can try, or should I try a different type of rig? Thanks

cribfisher
08-09-2009, 07:42 PM
I had the same problem. Try buying the jigs with red, silver or gold hooks. They seem to be stiffer than the bronze hooks on normal jigs. I can't remember the brand but I've been using the ones that have metalic colored heads with stick on eyes without much problems.

King Midas
08-10-2009, 02:17 PM
I had the same problem. Try buying the jigs with red, silver or gold hooks. They seem to be stiffer than the bronze hooks on normal jigs. I can't remember the brand but I've been using the ones that have metalic colored heads with stick on eyes without much problems.

Have any of your red hooks straightened?

jjstar
08-10-2009, 02:24 PM
I know from fishing in the ocean, some hooks have a strength rating in the form of x's xx was avg. and these tended to straigten out while xxx were a lot stronger. Not sure if you can get these ratings for jigs or not. But for salmon I never used less than 3 x due to having some straigtening out.

cribfisher
08-10-2009, 05:54 PM
The red ones seem a little softer than the gold or silver ones but I have not had any straighten out. They do bend a little but not enough to lose a hooked fish. Just make sure check the shape and fix it if necesary after catching anything.