PDA

View Full Version : must have fishing books?

nevercatchmuch
08-09-2009, 08:30 PM
hi all,

What books do you have that have helped you become more stealthy at catching the big ones? :lol: I have lots to learn and would like a couple of good books about trout, spin casting, and so on.

Also contemplating getting a fly rod so if there is a good read on that topic lemme know.

Thanks

Rigg dogg
08-09-2009, 10:37 PM
I have a pile of the Linder's DVD's from In Fisherman.
Have all the Walleye ones a few on Pike, Lake Trout and a few more on Ice fishing.
Lots of good info.
Used to have them all on VHS back in the day till I lent them out and never did seen them again.

Cal
08-09-2009, 10:40 PM
Any of the books from the hunting & fishing library are exceptional. Their books on trout while very detailed and clear mostly deal with stream trout and have very little to do with stillwater trout though, still great books with lots of pictures and info.

Grizzly Adams
08-09-2009, 10:55 PM
Blaster's Handbook. The only way I could catch a fish.:lol:
Grizz

tonyflyfish
08-09-2009, 11:56 PM
my diary with what works when and under what conditions-latest info is don't fish with JTS or Sandalius-lol

jrcw
08-10-2009, 01:02 AM
"Walleye Wisdom" by In-Fisherman (Lindner et al). The walleye fisherman's bible.

jeprli
08-10-2009, 09:51 AM
For flowing water, In my opinion there is no better book then
"Reading The Water" by Dave Hughes, for anyone who is after the trout in streams or rivers, this is the #1 book. I've read it about dozen times and it is still informative. Every time i go through it i find something i missed before...

You can also download this book, or print it out at http://books.google.ca for free and buy lures for the money left over :)

Cheers!

P.S.TV shows are not books. Books don't have sponsors. You will actually learn something from a book, from a TV show you can only get directions as to what to buy next from Shimano, Daiwa, strike king....or as Lindner likes to put it out, a bible passage....geeez what does bible have to do with fishing:sick:

Scott N
08-10-2009, 10:32 AM
If you're thinking about picking up fly fishing, I highly recommend any of Brian Chan's books. He's a biologist from BC and really has some good info to offer.

erkel1
08-10-2009, 12:10 PM
how to catch trophy freshwater gamefish by david richey. really good book and in the back it even listed some of the lakes in alberta where you could try.i just wished it would have helped me more. maybe fishing skips a generation:lol:

Waxy
08-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Precision Trolling. It's called the "troller's bible" for a reason lol...

Waxy

triple b
08-10-2009, 09:40 PM
"The fish bums guide to catching larger trout" by Mike Croft.

troutpirate
08-12-2009, 04:55 PM
the trout streams of alberta by j mclenan
fresh water fishes of alberta first and second editions
albertas trout highway by barry mitchell
anything written by kyle mcneilly
fishing canadas mountain parks by ?
blue ribbon bow by j mclenan
fresh water fisheries biology text
fresh water fisheries managment text

nevercatchmuch
08-15-2009, 09:42 AM
great ideas! time to get a bunch and read them as this stinky winter approaches.

BBC0
08-15-2009, 09:59 AM
I learned a lot reading Barry Mitchells "Alberta's Trout Highway", and he's a Red Deer guy so the information and tips are for local waters.

I-Love-Eyes
08-15-2009, 10:04 AM
or as Lindner likes to put it out, a bible passage....geeez what does bible have to do with fishing:sick:

A bit off topic, but....since God created the fish, maybe you should give HIM thanks for being able to go out and catch one!!!!

diamonddave
08-15-2009, 10:11 AM
A bit off topic, but....since God created the fish, maybe you should give HIM thanks for being able to go out and catch one!!!!

Better save that for Sunday ....:rolleye2:

I-Love-Eyes
08-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Better save that for Sunday ....:rolleye2:

jeprli asked what the Bible has to do with fishing...I answered...simple as that!!! No need to go off the deep end. I guess,diamonddave, you are one of those ones who like to relegate GOD to Sundays only?:huh::(

BBC0
08-15-2009, 08:43 PM
Very off topic