PDA

View Full Version : Nsr

Stump thumper
10-04-2020, 09:45 PM
I’m planning to hit the NSR this weekend, fishing 3-4 days, and I will be targeting sturgeon. Now first off this is not another thread looking for spots or setups, more a general question to help me decide where to go. I have not fished the NSR, and I will be fishing out of my jet boat, and will either launch at Devon or Ft. Sask. I also realize that October may not the prime time for dinos but I know they are still around and migrating to their wintering holes, and if it’s anything like the SSR, the sturgeon action has still been pretty good the last few weeks. I know where and what to look for to find them, and I always have put in the time and effort to find holes so I don’t want to know anyone’s “spots”.. With all that being said, all I’m asking for is the opinion’s of fellow jet boaters, if you had to choose, would you launch east or west of the city, or does it not really matter either way??

Devon is closer for me to drive to but if I’m better off going to Ft.Sask, I would rather drive there in my truck vs boating thru the city. Any intel on that would be great.

trigger7mm
10-04-2020, 09:51 PM
The further east you go, the more sturgeon you will find. Downstream of Edmonton is better than upstream.

Stump thumper
10-04-2020, 09:54 PM
Kinda what I was figuring too. Thanks for the reply :happy0180:

Stump thumper
10-04-2020, 09:57 PM
Is there a put in at the Hwy 38 bridge?

Red Bullets
10-05-2020, 09:43 AM
i notice that lots of guys like fishing for dinos on the SW corner of rundle park in Edmonton. Right on the big bend before the river turns north.

horse shoer
10-05-2020, 06:29 PM
My kids have fished a lot this fall. They find now that they don’t bight during the day. Night time hammer them. Maybe sleep in your boat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

horse shoer
10-05-2020, 06:30 PM
My kids have fished a lot this fall. They find now that they don’t bight during the day. Night time hammer them. Maybe sleep in your boat?

This is in the last couple weeks they went to night time bites

EZM
10-05-2020, 08:11 PM
As the water temps are dropping, I'd say downstream.

Stump thumper
10-05-2020, 10:05 PM

We are considering packing up the warm gear and camping out in the boat, my kids are excited to do that.

Stump thumper
10-05-2020, 10:06 PM
As the water temps are dropping, I'd say downstream.

Ya that’s what I’m going to do, may end up going further downstream.

Stump thumper
10-17-2020, 04:09 PM
Spent a great thanksgiving weekend on the NSR chasing Dino’s. Some slow times throughout the weekend but when the bite came on, it came on hard, fast and furious!! A total of 37 fish caught, with 24 of those being sturgeon. Before this weekend my previous personal best was a 52” sturgeon caught last season, this weekend that was beat twice, with the biggest being 56” measured to fork of tail. All in all a fantastic weekend to what looks to be my last time in the river for the season. Nothing better then the adrenaline rush and smiles that come with a dino on the end of the rod!! Can’t wait for river season 2021!!

Some pics, sorry for the sideways images

mlee
10-17-2020, 04:15 PM
If you have a sask license I'd say that direction. Have had much better luck east of the border this year but have fished the NSR in over a month now.

Stump thumper
10-17-2020, 04:22 PM
If you have a sask license I'd say that direction. Have had much better luck east of the border this year but have fished the NSR in over a month now.

May head that way next season, it won’t be this year anymore

Sooner
10-17-2020, 05:10 PM
Looks like a wicked trip with some excellent sturgeon too. Congrats. The smiles say it all.

Red Bullets
10-17-2020, 09:27 PM
Nice that you ended the season on a high note. Great pics.

pikeman06
10-18-2020, 09:05 PM
Nice work. Way to put in the effort.

58thecat
10-18-2020, 09:12 PM
Looks awesome....what do,you use for bait?

Stump thumper
10-18-2020, 11:53 PM
Thanks guys! It’s definitely a really great way to spend quality time with my kids, they love being out fishing as much as I do. We have some great weekends out on the river!

58thecat- I had some different baits, but worms are always what works for me, on both the NSR and SSR.

HuyFishin
10-19-2020, 09:55 AM
looks like an amazing time! I'm kinda jeleous! I may try a kayak/camping trip on a kayak for sturgeon someday.