PDA

View Full Version : Trapline adventures

calgarychef
10-09-2020, 10:24 PM
Is it legal for a trapper to do,guided trapline adventures?

Sounds fun!

sourdough doug
10-10-2020, 07:49 AM
There are those in the hierarchy that have been doing it for years....

Big Grey Wolf
10-10-2020, 09:36 AM
During these very low fur prices (Other than coyotes) it would be a great way to provide some trap line supplemental cash flow. Some Grey Areas like use of cabins for other than family and amount of trapper assistance without a partner license would probably apply.
Perhaps we could get an exemption like APOS got to sell hunts to Albertans.

35 whelen
10-10-2020, 03:55 PM
Grey area for cabins ,everyone that i know that has a trapline hunts out of them .and lets others hunt out of them .We should fix this problem first.

Red Bullets
10-10-2020, 07:05 PM
Twenty or thirty years ago there were some FN trappers that would take a person on their traplines for a month. I don't think there were any satellite cabins involved either. They used teepees and moved camp as they went. It was promoted as a traditional trapping lifestyle on the land. Might be the trapper, his wife and one or two kids. Plus a few dogs. Travel while on the land was with working dogs and not skidoos too. If I remember right it cost about $1600.00 or more for the month and the person was be expected to pull their weight in active daily life duties and trapline work. Not 100% sure but I think I remember it being advertised in either northern Saskatchewan, the NWT or Manitoba. It wasn't from the states.

Anyone else remember this from back in the day?

I think it would be a great way to 'apprentice' a newbie who wants to trap on a registered long line. Maybe not so much for the adventure of it. Then it becomes tourism related. Better as a working 'paid for' education trip.

TrapperMike
10-10-2020, 09:36 PM
Not sure how it works on a registered line. Was given a warning from a F&W officer that anyone that accompanied me on me residence line was hands off and only a spectator unless they had a trappers licence and a signed permission form to trap on said property.

35 whelen
10-16-2020, 06:32 AM
Grey area for cabins ,everyone that i know that has a trapline hunts out of them .and lets others hunt out of them .We should fix this problem first.

NO FEEDBACK ON THIS .:sign0176: