PDA

View Full Version : Crossfield Pond Today

jts1
08-10-2009, 10:17 PM
I went out to Crossfield pond today with Sandilus. We were 10 feet apart using the same bait , same rigs same everything. He cleaned up I got nut'n and I mean nut'n. Funny how that happens. Here is a pic of the days catch.

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj253/jts1_album/?action=view&current=stevesfish.jpg

baitfisher83
08-10-2009, 10:26 PM
nice fish, never heard of crossfield

jts1
08-10-2009, 10:32 PM
nice fish, never heard of crossfield

10 mins north of Airdrie

calgarygringo
08-10-2009, 10:39 PM
I guess Steve can really catch fish... Good job.

baitfisher83
08-11-2009, 07:59 AM
wow should give it a try once, havent really fished north of airdrie....just south and northwest of calgary

Sir. Kenneth
08-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Hey Jeff,
There's a secret to fishing that pond for the big ones ;) there are 5 and 6 lb bows in that pond. See attached a couple we pulled out of there a few months ago, thats my 9 wt rod. Havent fished it since they stocked the other pond though. Nice to see there are a good amount of the small ones left in there still. I see A lot of people poaching out of that pond unfortunately :(

jts1
08-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Hey Jeff,
There's a secret to fishing that pond for the big ones ;) there are 5 and 6 lb bows in that pond. See attached a couple we pulled out of there a few months ago, thats my 9 wt rod. Havent fished it since they stocked the other pond though. Nice to see there are a good amount of the small ones left in there still. I see A lot of people poaching out of that pond unfortunately :(

Well I am going to need that secret info man :innocent: Poachers beware some of us dont call rap...:evilgrin:

BobLoblaw
08-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Hey Jeff,

Crap, that last one looks like a 5lb trout...that just ate a 6lb trout!:D

nicemustang
08-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Yeah, I'm a ****ty summer trout fisher....don't know what I do wrong either.

Hooker
08-11-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm with Baitfisher83 on this one. I've fished Midway pond and Clark's Pond but they are both in the Carstairs area. I've never heard of one near Crossfield. I don't see it on the fish stocking list unless it goes by a name other than the Crossfield trout pond. Directions please?

Trout tracker
08-11-2009, 12:33 PM
It's on the west side of town acoss from the rodeo grounds.

jts1
08-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Its on my fishing map

happy perch fisher
08-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Well I am going to need that secret info man :innocent: Poachers beware some of us dont call rap...:evilgrin:

Did u call it on your buddy he kept 6 trout?

jts1
08-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Did u call it on your buddy he kept 6 trout?

Lets not jump on my buddy just yet I worded my post wrong. I got 1 little guy LOL its the smallest one of the bunch. Will be hearing about that 1 for a while "Eh Steve" Sry for the confusion

Trout tracker
08-11-2009, 06:40 PM
All I can say is. I've met and fished with both Steve and Jeff, you could not ask to meet two better people. So guys please don't take any of this crap to heart as I guess some people on this sight would rather bash than use it for it's full potential which I agree is to meet fellow fisherman that enjoy what we do and to meet new friends.

WayneChristie
08-11-2009, 08:36 PM
just curious Jeff, did you happen to spray yourself with deet, and maybe Steve didnt? I think the fish hate the taste of the bug sprays, thats the excuse Im using for Flygirl catching a pike Sunday and me not. I sprayed myself and she didnt. :lol: Saturday I didnt spray myself and we each caught 5.

Sir. Kenneth
08-12-2009, 10:50 AM
just curious Jeff, did you happen to spray yourself with deet, and maybe Steve didnt? I think the fish hate the taste of the bug sprays, thats the excuse Im using for Flygirl catching a pike Sunday and me not. I sprayed myself and she didnt. :lol: Saturday I didnt spray myself and we each caught 5.

I will second this. I always try to avoid my hands when putting on bug spray i think it definitely gives whatever your using a scent the fish don't like.

Logan
08-12-2009, 11:40 AM
I used to fish that pond when I was a kid living in Aridrie, ride my mountain bike down the gravel road getting passed by pick ups and grain truck risking life and limb to catch 1lb & 2lb Trout hahaha.

I was always told that the north pond had bigger trout and the south pond had more catchable smaller trout. Any truth to this? Or have you ever fished the Sulphur Plants private pond? We used to catch some real nice Bows out of there in the 4-6lbs range.

fishstix
08-12-2009, 05:20 PM
That "sulpher plant" pond is actually the Sarcee fish and game pond. You need a memebership to get in, the membership cost me and by lady 35 bucks. It is patrolled quite frequently. June 14, 250 fish were stocked here although most of them were harvested during the disabled persons tournament. You still see the odd one rise but not much happening there. The crossfield ponds are north of that by about 2.5 kilometers. It is on the srd stocking list. 1400 rainbow trout stocked in may. The srd claimes that the average length of those fish is 21 CM. They seemed larger last year. Anyway no serious fishing goes on at these stocked ponds. They are fun to take a kid fishing or to work on your cast (fly fishers) I enjoy the ponds, but when it comes to real fishing i prefer to hit one of our excellent creeks or rivers. Look north for some great brownie fishing (and i dont mean the Cheech and chong style brownie) From Airdrie you're within an hour going north. Or go south and fish for cutthroat and bulls. I spend alot of time on the Highwood, and i catch lots of fish.

woody
08-14-2009, 01:32 PM
pond fish just taste like dirt! nice fish though

Riverbug
05-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Lots of poachers fishing there cooking the fish while fishing they would never reach there daily limit fish and wild life should frequent that pond more frequently

jts1
05-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Was so happy to see the sun today. Took the wife out to Crossfield for an hr or so. Place was packed but took up a chunk of shore anyways. Hung a prince nymph under a indicator. Pulled in a bunch of your typical pond trout. Out fished all the guys with bait at least. Could not believe the amount of people out there.

Kokanee9
05-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Yeah, I'm a ****ty summer trout fisher....don't know what I do wrong either.

How about for starters.........moving to Saskatchewan!

safety
05-21-2012, 05:36 PM
does anyone know if the pond is open now for some fishing?

fishstix
05-21-2012, 05:54 PM
I dint think it will.be stocked this year. The road is still closed. Ive been un touch with thw town and they arent sounding too sure about if it will be stocked.this.year.

safety
05-22-2012, 10:34 AM
I work up in crossfield but i commute to Calgary everyday are there any good ponds or rivers around here for fly fishing

safety
05-22-2012, 10:38 AM
I would like to share this hot spot, I was catching 10-14lb browns here last year a foot from shore, the best way to get there is to drive to the golf club with your golf bag in the back, park at the parking lot, get rod and gear. Then hike
East to the river, then head south..there is a bend in the river where a drop off is, lots of browns, rainbows, bulls, and a few large white fish.
This is a place worth the hike.:sHa_shakeshout:

BeeGuy
05-22-2012, 11:32 AM
I would like to share this hot spot, I was catching 10-14lb browns here last year a foot from shore, the best way to get there is to drive to the golf club with your golf bag in the back, park at the parking lot, get rod and gear. Then hike
East to the river, then head south..there is a bend in the river where a drop off is, lots of browns, rainbows, bulls, and a few large white fish.
This is a place worth the hike.:sHa_shakeshout:

sounds great! got any pics?