PDA

View Full Version : Need BC fishing info for late September???

ukrmaf
08-10-2009, 11:21 PM
I'll be moving my brother to vancouver the last week of september and on my way back to edmonton plan to try my hand at the salmon run, but i need to do some research, and was wondering what you guys and gals might have to say. I was wondering if anyone knows any spots, i heard around chilliwack is ok, also what types of fish run that time of year and how does one go about catching them, baits, hooks, that kind of stuff. This will be my first time salmon fishing and i'm really excited about the trip, any information would be very helpful, thanx everyone in advance.

jts1
08-10-2009, 11:30 PM
I'll be moving my brother to vancouver the last week of september and on my way back to edmonton plan to try my hand at the salmon run, but i need to do some research, and was wondering what you guys and gals might have to say. I was wondering if anyone knows any spots, i heard around chilliwack is ok, also what types of fish run that time of year and how does one go about catching them, baits, hooks, that kind of stuff. This will be my first time salmon fishing and i'm really excited about the trip, any information would be very helpful, thanx everyone in advance.

This is the reason i just posted a new thread about xpand'n the fishing map Please see new thread

Kingfisher
08-11-2009, 02:21 AM
The end of September is prime time down there. The coho will be running also this is a pink year so the pink salmon will be running up the rivers then. If you go to the Vedder River in Chilliwack you will be in the thick of things. Head over to Freds Tackle on Vedder Road. Those guys will shorten the learning curve for you. You can go it on your own or go out with one of their guides. Either way they won't steer you wrong.

Have a great time. I will be down there a few weeks later.

Rob

QBC
08-11-2009, 08:04 AM
I grew up down there and chased the runs for years, you should have a blast. The Vedder/Chilliwack should have some fish in it by September, but it will be a busy place. I've seen the Vedder where you need to bring your own rock to stand on, but if it's not that busy, it should be fun. White Springs might even still be in around that time too. I'd suggest you pop across the valley to the Chehalis River, or at least check it out, I heard that there was some kind of spill there a few years back, but who knows. It always had less people and at least as good fishing as the Vedder. If you like, head up to Squamish and check out Ashlu Creek, The Squamish River and the Elaho River. Bit of a trek to the latter, but I'm here to tell ya...worth every kilometre

johnk
08-11-2009, 08:25 AM
The Vedder will definitely be a zoo! Definitely doable if you bring a Rottweiller, a fifty foot chain and a steel spike. You'll have no problems. My choice would be the Chehalis and take the trail into the lower pools in the canyon. Less people and will definitely be some holding chum and coho.

You could also go further east to Hope and fish Silver Creek which usually doesn't attract as many people and the coho fishing is usually spot on by the end of September.

I used to fish smaller systems between Surrey and White Rock like the Nikomekl and Little Campbell.

If you bring a float tube you could fish Nicomen Slough east of Mission for coho on the fly. Lots of fun.

Of course the Harrison, also east of Mission, is world renowned for it's coho runs.

WillyP
08-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Check out bcfishingreports.com, same type of Forum as this, you will get lots of help and answers on there.

tbosch
08-11-2009, 08:56 AM
The end of September is prime time down there. The coho will be running also this is a pink year so the pink salmon will be running up the rivers then. If you go to the Vedder River in Chilliwack you will be in the thick of things. Head over to Freds Tackle on Vedder Road. Those guys will shorten the learning curve for you. You can go it on your own or go out with one of their guides. Either way they won't steer you wrong.

Have a great time. I will be down there a few weeks later.

Rob

X2. The boys at Fred's are excellent. When I was there they even gave me an excellent price on a replacement fly rod as I had broken mine. In addition to that they gave me tons of information on what to use and where to use it.

Safety D
08-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Go for the pinks !!!

ukrmaf
08-11-2009, 09:52 PM
how does the fishing license work out there, do i need a seperate one on top of the provincial???

Kingfisher
08-12-2009, 02:15 AM
Yes you need the provincial license. Then you'll have to get a salmon tag.

Depending on where you fish you may need a fresh water or a salt water license. If you fish the Frazer river below the Mission bridge that is concidered "Tidal Water" so you'll need a salt water license. If you fish the Frazer River above the Mission bridge you need the regular fishing license with a fresh water salmon tag.

Again Freds will be able to help you. Or if your in Abbotsford go into Hub Sports. They are a good bunch of guys there too.

Rob

ukrmaf
08-12-2009, 08:49 PM
thanx guys, i'll be in touch with fred's next week.

Nikanit
08-12-2009, 11:40 PM
There are always the spots right around the city too, like the many sandbars at the mouth of the Fraser River. Don't forget though that to fish some area's around Vancouver, a lot of them are classified as sal****er. The licenses are expensive too for out of province, so be prepared. One of my Salmon spots was right underneath the Patullo Bridge using a roe sack or a big spin and glo, using a bar rig w/ a large pyramid sinker. Cast it out only about 30-40 feet or so, attach a bell to the tip of your rod, place in a holder, and sit in a lawn chair. That's the lazy way. There are other spots too like the mouth of the Seymour river at the north side of the Iron worker's Memorial bridge(tricky), or better yet, just cruise along Highway 7 out of the Greater Vancouver area heading east, and you'll find lot's of spots along the Fraser for all kinds of species! I had just been on a trip with my man there and he's never seen the coast. He's been an AVID (should I say RABID?) outdoorsman since he was 5 ears old, and to see him gawking all over the place at these spots I've told you about was quite enjoyable, and I was very happy to have showed him a few of my spots!

I lived in Vancouver for 25 years so I hope this helps