PDA

View Full Version : I'm a master Angler

Faststeel
08-11-2009, 01:58 AM
Well in Manitoba anyways. Caught me an 18" smallmouth to qualify, what a fantastic fighting fish. Have some photos coming. Got him at a hike into lake in northern Manitoba called Two Loon, a short hike from Rocky Lake, where we have a cabin, 1/2 hour north of The Pas.
The next adventure was a quad in, fly in trip to a great fishery called Yawningstone lake. The quad ride is about 1.5 hours, then a boat ride across a bay and up a river. I don't have a quad so I hired a Cessna 185 on floats to take me in. 20 minute plane ride on a beautiful summer morning. had quite a time getting my 6'5" body in and out of the aircraft.
Met the boys in there and fished our brains out. We were 3 in our boat and we caught and released well over 150 walleyes, plus some for shore lunch and our take home limit of 6 each. No real big fish but a ton in the 2-3lb range.
Some excellent big pike action as well.
Next trip was another quad in hike in. This was to Atik lake. The boys took a 14ft upside down on top of a 16ft and quaded them in. We jumped in the big boat and rode for about 15minutes to a bay where a trail from that lake comes into Rocky Lake. One of the quads met us there and ferried us in. My luck wasn't so good on this lake as my partner caught all the walleye and I caught nothing but one hammer handle after another all day long, had another great shore lunch and managed a few to take back to the cabin to freeze and bring home.
Then it was an early morning smallmouth adventure on the main lake. A friend from Ontario had sent me several tube jigs that they use for sm fishing and I now have them in a variety of colours. None of my friends at Rocky had ever tried them, we have a new favorite. Mepps spinners were the previous old stand by for bass. lots of great action casting in the shallow waters for these chunky fighters. These fish are catch and release only in our lake.
Back home now for a few days to drop off the boys, then heading back for another week. She one helluva a drive at 1063kms each way, but we like it there. FS

Cal
08-11-2009, 07:08 AM
Ummm glad your trip went well, sounds like lots of fun but I dunno about the title.

PoorTurtle
08-11-2009, 08:31 AM
that is some really nice country up there. wish i could make a few trips that way.

jjstar
08-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Location location location. If that is all that is required to make a master angler then.

I AM THE M!!! screw it I still have stuff to learn. I just wish I had the cash to become a master angler.. I mean fish in barely touched water!!:evilgrin:

Jealous it ain't pretty, but I am petty, so jealous I will be. :wave:

lolanr
08-11-2009, 09:04 AM
In Manitoba they have a Master Angler program. You are considered a master angler if you catch a fish over a certian size. The lodge I was at gave you a nice picture/certificate to eveyone who qualified. I think it was walleye 28" and pike 40".

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
08-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Welcome to the brotherhood. Manatobia has some fantastic fishing , dare I say they are spoiled there . This is my Master angler. http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/JOHN_CONROY/001-3.jpg

backcountry fisher
08-11-2009, 02:04 PM
if an 18 inch smallie makes you a master angler I must the dhali lhama of fishing. lol that needs to be bumped up abit i think, 18 inch smallies a fairly easy to come by

sheephunter
08-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Good to hear that Rocky is still producing. I spent a good portion of my misspent youth there. I can see why you like it and congrats on the Master Angler smallmouth. That's a great program that the Manitoba Government runs.

wildman
08-11-2009, 03:25 PM
more like a master baiter!!!!:lol:
just effin with ya dude...totally jealous!!!!!

Faststeel
08-11-2009, 09:31 PM
if an 18 inch smallie makes you a master angler I must the dhali lhama of fishing. lol that needs to be bumped up abit i think, 18 inch smallies a fairly easy to come by

Well in other provinces an 18" smallie my not be all that special, my fish was likely bigger around than it was long. We have caught and released a fair number in the 16 and 17 inch lengths, this is the first 18 I have landed in 2 summers of fishing Rocky Lake. FS

AlbertaOutdoorsmen19
08-13-2009, 11:03 PM
I've got a pike and rainbow trout master anglers.
Pike = 42 inches :D
Rainbow= 23 inches :innocent:

Paul C
08-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Click on my link and look at this Trophy Rainbow.:D:D:D:D