PDA

View Full Version : Getting older rifle ready to shoot

Chief
08-11-2009, 10:53 AM
So I've got my PAL and I'm going out to transfer my Grandpa's .303 over to me...As a first time gun owner, what do I need to do get it ready to take to the range? It hasn't been shot in probably 10-12 years but to my untrained eye looks to be in pretty good shape. Should I just buy a gun cleaning kit and give it a good clean or are there other things that I need to look for?

On another subject, I have sent off my application to the Sherwood Park Fish and Game Association and I am wondering if there are any members on here who would be interested in taking me out and giving me some help getting started? I have not shot a centerfire rifle before (lots of .22's though) so some patience might be necessary.

Hagar
08-11-2009, 05:47 PM
A few things I would do,
1)I would take the rifle to a gunsmith for a once over just to be sure everything is good.
2)Get a good cleaning kit and a lockable hard side case or a trigger lock and soft case
3)Good hearing protection

And remember to have fun!!

The Moose Whisperer
08-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Hey Chief,

That's awesome. I still remember dustin' off the old .303 brit my uncle gave me and taking it out to get it (and me) in shape for hunting season. I took mine to a smith for a quick once over to ensure no big issues, gave it a good clean, bought some federal 150gr blue box ammo and I was on my way.

I still like taking a deer every now and then with that rifle. I'm down in Calgary and shoot in the Crowsnest Pass, so not much help for going out to the range, but no doubt someone on here would be more than happy to spend an afternoon shooting with you.

Have fun with your first center fire!

Cooeylover
08-12-2009, 08:24 PM
If its a no1 mk3 ild probably take a little hammer and a drift punch, actually the head of an old casing works well to, to adjust the windage if ya have to. Those guns, if your not lucky enough to have the windage adjustments on the rear sight, have to be adjsuted with the front sight drifted ever so SLIGHTLY from side to side. Dont know much about the no4's and no5's. They have the peep sites on the rear of the action.

Just remember that you are hunting with the ultimate peice of Canadiana history. They are, IMHO, the best action gun ever designed, built, and put into service.

I started hunting with my dads old no1 mk3. Then went to the rugers, brownings, and savages. But last year, and this year, my gun of choice was the ole "ott three". :)

I jsut love hearing of hunting stories and seeing pic of these legendary old guns.:)

Good luck and post pics of the quarry you bag.

Chief
08-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Cooeylover, the rifle has been sporterized, I believe the term is. So it has a new stock and a 3x9x40 scope on it, so it doesn't have the windage iron sights on it. I'll check the markings on it when I pick it up and let you know just what type of enfield it is. Thanks everyone for the tips.:wave:

Chargerguy
08-13-2009, 04:05 AM
I'd give it a good cleaning, check the headspace, make sure the king screw is tight and let 'er wrip. I hunt with a No.1 MkIII* Lithgow. I'm debating on starting to use a no.4 Mk I* LB or MkII Faz since a scope can easily be mounted without gunsmithing.