PDA

View Full Version : North-east lakes?

pikester
08-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Howdy all, I have a chance to spend 3 days camping/fishing in a couple weeks & since I live in Strathmore I automatically began planning a trip to some local lakes but then I realised that I have not fished the "North Country" since I was a kid & this might be a perfect chance to give it a go:cool: So perhaps some of you who live around or regularly fish the Lac La Biche/ Cold Lake/Bonneville area could throw me some info on lakes where a guy with a 16ft/ 20hp could get into some good fishing for big pike with the opportunity to nail some walleye & perch. One place I had in mind to check out was Square Lake but I dont know if there's a campground there or if it's even worth going. Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks.

stuartmcgrandle
08-11-2009, 09:36 PM
touchwood nort of lac la biche is a fantastic beautiful lake with a half decent campground, amisk lake by boyle is good for pike/perch, moose lake by bonnyville is real decent too,

pikester
08-11-2009, 10:31 PM
touchwood nort of lac la biche is a fantastic beautiful lake with a half decent campground, amisk lake by boyle is good for pike/perch, moose lake by bonnyville is real decent too,

Thanks for the ideas Stuart, do any of these lakes you mention have a reputation for giving up real respectable sized pike (since they are the focal point of my trip) ?

Rigg dogg
08-12-2009, 01:13 AM
You have lots of GOOD options in this end of the province.
Pinehurst, around La Biche, Marie, Cold Lake, Moose Lake and a few others around Bonnyville.

Pinehurst has a few good spots, search here for info. Marie by Cold Lake has some good spots. The point out from the launch or the North West shoreline is good.
Cold Lake, I have had some luck over by the Martineau River. Moose has so much Structure you should be able to find a Spot with no problems.
Hilda Lake has lots of LITTLE guys, Crane & Wolf can be good, but can not keep any. Unless you have some Tags for Wolf. It can be AWESOME fishing there.

Jayball
08-12-2009, 12:52 PM
From my experience in that area.. i would head to seibert. I have been there a few times and it has always yeilded large pike. It is is my favorte pike lake in that region.

good campground... the road is better going... and the lake is very big and the pressure is about avergae.... waaaayyyy less than pinehurst for sure.

best fishing IMO is

1.) side of lake directly across from capmground... i caught a 22lber there just of the reeds trolloing a massive 10" rapala.....

2.) far end of lake past camground... careful of rocks...

3.) and the opposite side lake way up in the bay... nice area... very shallow area to cross...

good luck!

gdbccb
08-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Haven't caught any real big ones, but we've done very well at Moose this summer using Barbie fishing rods and "pink" lures :lol:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/gdbccb/HMBfishpic.jpg

P.S. someone caught a 10 lbs pike a few hundred yards away from this pic a few hours later.

Gunnar 17
08-12-2009, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE=gdbccb;367417]Haven't caught any real big ones, but we've done very well at Moose this summer using Barbie fishing rods and "pink" lures :lol:

What was your daughter using for a fishing rod? :lol::lol::lol:

pikester
08-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Awesome feedback, thanks folks. Now I can make a short list & narrow it down next week. Jayball, Seibert sounds intriguing, have you come across a source for a bathymetric map of the lake? Also I noticed you have several flyfishing links on the bottom of your post, have you flyfished this particular lake if so what time of year has been best to do so? (since I also love flinging flies at pike:D). Thanks again for the responses.