PDA

View Full Version : CWD and WMU 160

KazIce
10-25-2020, 04:56 PM
I have drawn for antlered mule deer in 160 this year. My goal for the year is to tag out in a day, get a mule deer and a whitetail in the same day. Gonna give up some antlers for this lol. Just feel like being able to look back and say “one time I did it all in a day.”

Anyways I have been preparing to submit the heads for cwd testing, so making sure I know what I need to do and what not. Then I looked at the regs and 160 isn’t a mandatory submission zone???

160 had 39 positive cases last year. It just seems crazy to me to not make it a mandatory submission zone. It seems like an oversight.

I’ll be submitting mine no matter what, I’m not taking any chances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SageValleyOutdoors
10-25-2020, 06:24 PM
Since they KNOW cwd is in that zone, they stopped requiring testing... no point in spending money looking for cwd when they know it’s in there. You can still submit the heads for testing, but it’ll probably be a long wait for results.
Good luck! That’s a tough zone to hunt for whitetails. By noon opening day they’ll be in the thickest cover they can find, or posted land.

bullgetter
10-25-2020, 07:56 PM
I thought you did have to submit heads for 160 but maybe they changed it this year. Shot my Mule buck and a mule doe in 160 last year. Submitted the heads in November. Did not get the results until the end of March. The buck was negative but the Doe was positive. Never would have guessed it as she was a mature doe that visually looked very fat and healthy.

KazIce
10-25-2020, 08:57 PM
I thought you did have to submit heads for 160 but maybe they changed it this year. Shot my Mule buck and a mule doe in 160 last year. Submitted the heads in November. Did not get the results until the end of March. The buck was negative but the Doe was positive. Never would have guessed it as she was a mature doe that visually looked very fat and healthy.

There is a giant hole in the middle of the province and 160 is a part of that where there is no testing.

I thought what Sage was saying made some sense, but the 150’s have had CWD the longest and why are they still testing there?

As for my double buck ambitions the land owner I have permission on apparently has a lot of white tail on his land now and has some decent bucks coming out of there. Fingers crossed! Unless I shoot one sooner cuz I could pass it up lol

marky_mark
10-25-2020, 09:16 PM
I have drawn for antlered mule deer in 160 this year. My goal for the year is to tag out in a day, get a mule deer and a whitetail in the same day. Gonna give up some antlers for this lol. Just feel like being able to look back and say “one time I did it all in a day.”

Anyways I have been preparing to submit the heads for cwd testing, so making sure I know what I need to do and what not. Then I looked at the regs and 160 isn’t a mandatory submission zone???

160 had 39 positive cases last year. It just seems crazy to me to not make it a mandatory submission zone. It seems like an oversight.

I’ll be submitting mine no matter what, I’m not taking any chances.

But what are you going to do for the rest of hunting season???

KazIce
10-25-2020, 09:23 PM
But what are you going to do for the rest of hunting season???

Work! My work picks up a lot after Remembrance Day. I’m taking the first week of November off so I will get some good time in.

I also hunt in general zones starting sept 17 so I have been going a lot already.

precloading
10-26-2020, 04:02 AM
I've been hunting that zone for 53 years, and there has never been a deer behind every tree! Especially since CWD and the mass slotter conducted by fish and wildlife.

KazIce
10-26-2020, 08:58 AM
I've been hunting that zone for 53 years, and there has never been a deer behind every tree! Especially since CWD and the mass slotter conducted by fish and wildlife.

I completely agree with you. I last hunted there 10 yrs ago and the mule deer was good but not crazy. Lots of big two pointers out and about lol. If I can find one of those this year I’d be super stoked to fold a tag on it.

Pre CWD we used to hunt 151; now that place was crazy mule deer hunting! Deer were everywhere. Like you’d easily see 5-10 bucks and it’s just a matter of finding the right one.

The landowner I have permission with for my hunt has said that his whitetails have increased significantly over the past several years. His confidence is where I get this ridiculous idea from. I’m scouting the day before the open, we will see what happens!