PDA

View Full Version : Strikemaster or Ion for 10” auger

GWS
11-04-2020, 04:55 PM
Just wondering which auger you would recommend? Reviews I have seen are generally positive for both.
Thanks

Poppa
11-04-2020, 05:04 PM
Everything I've ever seen says they're both good....but here's all the info you need:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siyfl58LtyY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBtgHo5vrPQ

Just info, no shilling for either company. Jay Siemens is a beauty!

pikeman06
11-04-2020, 05:30 PM
I got an old magnum strikemaster 10 inch. Sheez a workhorse. Slower auger spin than my jiffies but she blows thru the ice like nobodies buisness. I sharpen my own blades never had an issue.

RavYak
11-04-2020, 05:43 PM
Neither. If you want a 10 inch auger buy a good gas or propane model.

The electric augers are good in 8 inch model and especially thinner ice but 10 inch auger and thick ice later in the year is a bad combination unless you usually only drill a handful of holes.

SNAPFisher
11-04-2020, 06:47 PM
10 inch Strikemaster, you are fine. Late season as well. Even drilled 40 or so in slush ice late season. Went through a battery but barely needed the 2nd one. Lots of other anglers tried out the 10 that day because they couldn't believe it. This was up at Sandy Lake - past Calling - 2 years ago.

Looks like the lack of experience and "myths" are starting already. :rolleye2:
Experience speaks.

RavYak
11-04-2020, 07:57 PM
Since I didn't really answer your question, if you are set on a 10 inch electric then get the Strikemaster. It is superior to the 10 inch ion.

Good 10 inch gas/propane augers have more torque. They are significantly cheaper, Shark Z71 is $650 vs $1000 for Strikemaster electric and 2nd battery. You don't need to worry about buying replacement batteries in a few years (the batteries last pretty good but you will have to replace them down the road, even if you get 5-7 years that is $500 you will have to spend then if the model of battery you need is even still available). Gas/propane will fight their way through ice better if/when your blades get worn. Also don't have to worry about hurting battery by forgetting to charge it.

Main advantage of electric is being able to drill inside a shack, lighter weight, and lack of maintenance (other than having to keep on top of battery charges). They work great if you plan on sticking close to home and only drilling a few holes. Just don't fit my style of fishing and if I ever owned one it would be an 8 inch version.

58thecat
11-05-2020, 06:02 AM
I might drill 20 holes in a day....strikemaster will be my purchase....ran a gas last year...farting around mixing, carrying extra gas,oil etc meh.....drill, reverse, drill, reverse....holes cleared...no fuss...no muss....done!:sHa_shakeshout:

Ohhh and 10" cuz I don't catch small fish......:)

If I ain't catching I am snoozing cuz I hate fishing.....:sHa_sarcasticlol:

GWS
11-05-2020, 07:58 AM
Thanks for all the advice. Glad to hear strikemaster 10” works decent. I saw a guy battling with an Ion 10” but I wasn’t sure if it saw blade related or not. I do have a 9” jiffy that I have had forever. I actually love the 9” flight but they are a thing of the past.

35 whelen
11-05-2020, 09:14 AM
Most of my fishing friends fish n Manitoba ,Most use Electric ,Will never go back to gas .Lots of ice and slush up there also as you can fish till end of april ,10 IN STRIKEMASTER my pick.

StringTheory
11-05-2020, 09:58 AM
I have the Strikemaster 40V 10" and I do really like it. The biggest advantage the Strikemaster has over the Ion is that the auger flight is 39" long while the Ion I believe is 34". I know it doesnt sound like much but its usually the difference in needing an extension or not. The ion used to come packaged with an extension, I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Check out my full review here:
https://www.stringtheoryangling.ca/strikemaster-40v-problems-and-review/

Hunter Trav
11-05-2020, 10:17 AM
Neither. If you want a 10 inch auger buy a good gas or propane model.

The electric augers are good in 8 inch model and especially thinner ice but 10 inch auger and thick ice later in the year is a bad combination unless you usually only drill a handful of holes.

I spend 3 months at Bistcho Lake this past winter looking after the lodge there, and I can tell you with absolute certainty that your statement about electric augers is false. I bought the 10" Strikemaster after using Snap's the winter before, and it had NO PROBLEMS chewing through 3' of ice, and doing 20+ holes per outing some days on only one battery. I had no extension on it and by the end of the season I was just barely getting through the ice without one, but it never let me down once. Most days I wouldn't even take the battery off to keep warm in the shack and it would still do what I needed it to. I drilled a lot of holes for guys who's gas augers wouldn't start on the really cold days and none of them could believe what that auger will do. I even had my 10" Jiffy 30 w/extension up there with me, hardly ever pulled it out except to run it once in awhile. It just wasn't worth the effort to start it when I could just go out, push a button and have a hole drilled before my Jiffy would even be warmed up.

Good 10 inch gas/propane augers have more torque. They are significantly cheaper, Shark Z71 is $650 vs $1000 for Strikemaster electric and 2nd battery. You don't need to worry about buying replacement batteries in a few years (the batteries last pretty good but you will have to replace them down the road, even if you get 5-7 years that is $500 you will have to spend then if the model of battery you need is even still available). Gas/propane will fight their way through ice better if/when your blades get worn. Also don't have to worry about hurting battery by forgetting to charge it.

Main advantage of electric is being able to drill inside a shack, lighter weight, and lack of maintenance (other than having to keep on top of battery charges). They work great if you plan on sticking close to home and only drilling a few holes. Just don't fit my style of fishing and if I ever owned one it would be an 8 inch version.

I can agree with only 2 points from this post of yours, and that is on the cost of the auger, and the battery maintenance. Yes they cost more right now, but Cabelas should be having their early ice season sale soon where you can buy the auger and get a free battery with it. Big savings. As far as maintenance goes a gas auger can go to **** just as easily without it so thats kindof a moot point. If you're not smart enough to look after your stuff then you deserve the headache and hassle either way. And since you don't actually own an electric you really shouldn't be commenting to the OP about them since this is only your opinion on the matter and I've just shown that your main points against them aren't really true at all...:sign0161:

Poppa
11-05-2020, 02:40 PM
If I was in the market for an auger, I'd go Strikemaster 40v without even blinking. Everything I've seen, from the voices I trust most, says it's THE auger to have right now. "Unfortunately", my Jiffy Pro4 propane unit runs better than new, after getting a new fuel line and fresh blades last year.

Jigsalot
11-05-2020, 02:44 PM
I bought a new strikemaster last year and I would never go back to a gas machine. I can have 3 holes drilled by the time some guys get their machine started. Have the 8 inch 40 v.

Bigwoodsman
11-05-2020, 03:17 PM
I bought a new strikemaster last year and I would never go back to a gas machine. I can have 3 holes drilled by the time some guys get their machine started. Have the 8 inch 40 v.

I bought this unit last December, and I wouldn't want anything else. It's an exceptional auger!

BW

OL_JR
11-05-2020, 06:19 PM
I'm partial to strikemaster as that's pretty much all I've run for gas augers and I love how they cut. Imho they have more efficient cutting blades and if your going with 10" I think it's a no brainer. I've seen the gen 1 Ions in action with the 10" and they just wouldn't do later season with the thicker ice. The ions do hold an advantage drilling old holes if that is a concern for you. I don't know how much real change the gen 2's have other than a bigger capacity battery?

Just a quick peak at the numbers a gen 2 ion 8" is advertised at 2000" of ice with an 8" flight vs 1200" with the 10". This is with a 6 amp hour battery.

Strikemaster with a 5 amp hour is advertised at 1600" of ice with the 8" flight and 1120" with a 10".

So (and I understand these are just advertised) the strikemaster drills within a full 10% closer to the 8" than an ion and from what I've seen with the gen 1's I wouldn't be surprised if those numbers would favour the strikemaster even more in real life.

Full disclosure I don't own either myself but an 8" lithium 40v is on the buy list for the season to team up with a 10" solo. Depending on how you fish maybe either would be just fine but talking purely amp for amp cutting ability the strikemaster is the better auger.

mlee
11-05-2020, 06:21 PM
Love love love my 10" strikemaster. I got the deal with 2 batteries and only one have I ever had to use the second battery in one day. I've drilled though enough ice to need an extension and it's way way better than any gas I've ever run before.

stubblejumper01
11-05-2020, 06:52 PM
I bought this unit last December, and I wouldn't want anything else. It's an exceptional auger!

BW

I got the same unit. Never even used the 8" flight as I have an old 10" from my old gas Strikemaster that works great. Might start using the 8" for the camera holes though.

gdbugs
11-06-2020, 01:26 PM
Have you used one? My 10" strikemaster worked great on Tobin. Over 36" ice over 2 days ate threw it no problem.

Zip-in-Z
11-06-2020, 01:58 PM
I currently have a 30 year old Jiffy Model 30 -10 gas that works like B-new, an Eskimo HC40-10" Propane that's almost new & decided to buy the Strikemaster Lazer 10" & went Electric, due to the design the Strikemaster Lazer auger is superior in cutting.

O/P ... If I were you buy the Strikemaster.

Cheers

D

https://i.imgur.com/GnNKp7K.jpg

SamSteele
11-06-2020, 02:36 PM
This will be my third winter with the SM 40v 8”. Love it. Like many others, I got the deal that included a second battery. Haven’t had to use it yet in a full day of fishing with a lot of moving. That said, I would definitely take a spare battery with if you are going 10” as the 2” increase in diameter works out to a lot of additional ice to cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jigsalot
11-06-2020, 06:43 PM
This will be my third winter with the SM 40v 8”. Love it. Like many others, I got the deal that included a second battery. Haven’t had to use it yet in a full day of fishing with a lot of moving. That said, I would definitely take a spare battery with if you are going 10” as the 2” increase in diameter works out to a lot of additional ice to cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got the same deal. Cabelas ran out of batteries and they gave me 250 off my auger. When I go I probably drill at least 40 holes unless I hit an area where perch are cruising around. Have not come even close to running the battery out. I have yet to see 2 bars on the battery. I do put it inside a pack in the truck when not used. Also fishing hole would not match cabelas which really surprised me

Esox
11-06-2020, 07:44 PM
has anyone seen the free battery deal yet? Thats what Ive been waiting for before buying mine.

35 whelen
11-06-2020, 08:29 PM
If anyone does that's what I'm waiting for also thanks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

old dog
11-10-2020, 10:02 AM
Cabelas has had the strikemaster battery on sale. Picked one up two years ago for 100$ My 10 inch came with a spare when I got it 4 or 5 years back. I also run a strikemaster 10 inch gas What I like about having them both is not only for back up but the auger and auger extension and blades r all the same. I do admit I use my electric more. Even when the ice is thick enough for the extension. I have to make a point of it to run the gas auger periodically just to keep it happy. PS. And iam the type of guy that that moves if fish aren’t biting

Bear Ballz
11-11-2020, 07:50 PM
All,
How about Jiffy’s electric auger, any opinions on this unit?

SNAPFisher
11-12-2020, 06:14 AM
All,

A good question. Seems they were a bit too late to the party. I do not know of anyone that has one so would be interested to know more.
I did look at Jiffy a couple of years ago. They were selling the head only at the time and without the auger bit. The claim was that it works will your existing auger bits. Though I think they can all claim this, it was a different approach. Didn't seem to take though. Cost was adjusted for selling the head / motor only.

JohninAB
11-12-2020, 06:21 AM
Was in the west Edmonton Fishin Hole Tuesday morning and if I am not mistaken they had the second battery deal for the Strikemaster on till Nov 22nd.

SNAPFisher
11-12-2020, 06:28 AM
All,

This is a good review of all three:
https://youtu.be/6u3ZIv8z16o

I'm not impressed by the Jiffy.

35 whelen
11-12-2020, 07:50 AM
Was in the west Edmonton Fishin Hole Tuesday morning and if I am not mistaken they had the second battery deal for the Strikemaster on till Nov 22nd.Check their website this morning didn't say nothing about second battery ,going to call when they open

JohninAB
11-12-2020, 08:11 AM
Geesh hope I did not make a liar out of myself. Positive I read the sign beside the auger correctly. If not, I apologize for misleading people.

35 whelen
11-12-2020, 08:57 AM
No problem haven't decided 100% yet 800 bucks two of my ice fishing buddies already have them so not sure if I really need one I will be calling and updating the website just to let other people know today thanks

35 whelen
11-12-2020, 09:02 AM
Yes you're right 799 with the second battery for a 10in

JohninAB
11-12-2020, 09:33 AM
Whew!

Same boat as you. Have an older Eskimo Stingray gasser that works like a champ so to justify dropping $800 on a new auger is tough.

Bear Ballz
11-13-2020, 06:54 PM
This is a good review of all three:
https://youtu.be/6u3ZIv8z16o

I'm not impressed by the Jiffy.

Thanks SNAP
I definitely like the ION best, just not sure if I’m willing to blow the moths out of my wallet and drop a $1100 😬

RavYak
11-13-2020, 07:20 PM
Yes you're right 799 with the second battery for a 10in

Do they have a similar deal for 8 inch? Anyone wanting an electric auger should jump on that 2nd battery deal.

I can't believe the new ions are over 1k...

35 whelen
11-14-2020, 09:07 AM
They had both flights in didn't check on the price for the 8 it could be cheaper, fishing hole Edmonton both locations