PDA

View Full Version : Sad day for mink farmers

Red Bullets
11-04-2020, 09:12 PM
I just read this and thought I would share.

Denmark is going to eliminate all of it's mink due to a covid mutation. 1100 farms with many million mink. The article also mentions that mink farms in the US have some covid mutation infections too.

https://people.com/pets/denmark-cull-mink-population-coronavirus-mutation-spread-humans/

HunterDave
11-05-2020, 12:03 AM
I wonder how all those ranched mink not being on the market will effect wild fur prices, if at all. My understanding is that Muskrat is used as a replacement for mink in garments particularly for coat liners. To a lesser extent a shortage of mink could potentially effect the value of marten. It’s unfortunate for the fur ranchers however it may not be something that’s going to effect wild fur trappers negatively IMO.

krthegunslinger
11-05-2020, 06:33 AM
Here’s hoping the wild market picks up again. I used to get 40+$ for a mink asa boy.

Marty S
11-05-2020, 08:30 AM
My thoughts is that when the dust settles and they burn through the available mink stocks, the market for any kind of fur will be ON FIRE!

Barring unforeseen economic events that look to likely unfold in the coming year or two.... will they really be unforeseen???

Who's ready for "...THE DARK WINTER...???

Load up on your supplies in case of postal disruption and go trapping.

But if all is well and the international liberals that are taking over the world let us carry on as an industry, then in 2-5 years look out... fur will be like gold.

Let me rephrase.... should be like gold?

It simply costs too much for the ranchers to raise mink. In the meantime the ranch fur industry is losing it's critical infrastructure and may not survive? It cannot on $20 mink and that is where we are at today, coupled with the fact that two very large fur auctions in Europe are not sustainable with the numbers of mink that will be in production today, one number of 13-15 million mink wordwide was thrown out there, now destroy 3 million because animals get viruses too and there ai't much left.

Expect one of the big ranch auctions to either fold or else we will see another merger, soon. Copenhagen Fur was designed to run on a massive scale, there is not enough fur to sustain themselves.

Any rancher still standing for the someday expected upturn will strike it rich???

Then wild fur should receive intense pressure due to lack of ranch goods??

We went from a market flying high of 90 million ranch mink, then continually flooded at stoopid high levels because the EU auctions promised the ranchers it would bounce back. So the question... how many millions of mink are there in the fur pipeline? Well the pipeline was plugged years ago and the continued production went into the storage tanks... yup, they built bigger bins! 1 year, 2 years? 5 years???

However, the fashion industry needs far more fur than we can provide wild. I suspect the chinese and russians will increase their mink ranches exponentially in the coming years to satisfy their demand. But in the meantime, there is a potential window for the wild to fly... me thinks

Big Grey Wolf
11-05-2020, 09:51 AM
Guys, the approx 100 million mink at ranches pelted out 2 years ago killed NAFA. Now very interesting Corona going to shut down 15 million more mink from fur farms. They will obviously be pelted out and surplus fur at European auctions this year.
However in 1-2 years our wild fur both mink and marten should firm up and we should be getting good $$$.
Guys do not sell your trapline.

TrapperMike
11-05-2020, 05:01 PM
According to what I saw on the news, none of these mink that are being destroyed will be pelted. They are all headed to the incinerator. A big waste but good for market. Maybe holland will start pelting the millions of muskrat that they destroy yearly to protect their dike system.

Talking moose
11-07-2020, 05:01 AM
According to what I saw on the news, none of these mink that are being destroyed will be pelted. They are all headed to the incinerator. A big waste but good for market. Maybe holland will start pelting the millions of muskrat that they destroy yearly to protect their dike system.

Hopefully as soon as this year the market rises.