PDA

View Full Version : What do you use for ice camera panner?

slamilton
11-11-2020, 10:01 AM
I bought an ice camera last year and only got to use it once. It was very difficult to get it to find my hook so I want to buy some sort of panner. There are pretty mixed review about the Mopod with the remote for $90 so wanted to get some real world feedback. I am also looking at the Ice Pod which is $20 but doesnt have a remote. Would also like to see some DIY project if anyone has pictures or description. My camera is Vexilar Fish Scout.Thanks.

Poppa
11-11-2020, 10:28 AM
I've got the AquaVu "MoPod" and I don't know how I ever lived without it. It sucks AA batteries like a savage, but honestly, you HAVE to have it. It's made life so much easier out there with my AV 715c, which I refuse to fish without anymore...

RACKER
11-11-2020, 10:46 AM
I have had great luck with the mopod.The best results using it i found to keep the snow really clear underneath the camera so your cable doesnt drag around.Also dont let the cable get all bunched up-just keep an eye on it.I have never fished with anyone with a different panner so im biased i guess.

CNP
11-11-2020, 11:32 AM
https://i.imgur.com/XmpEyQO.jpg

Costs nothing to make if you have a suitable board, a jigsaw, a chip bag clamp and some paint (optional);

Cut board round so it fits into the bottom of a 5 gal bucket;

It covers the hole (8 inch hole), prevents freeze up and prevents your stuff from falling down the hole;

Clamp the camera cable with the chip bag clamp and rotate/raise/lower to your satisfaction, stays put at your selected location.

RavYak
11-11-2020, 11:42 AM
Either Mopod or Marcum get the job done. Mopod sits up higher, Marcum folds up nicer for transport. Get a powered version, makes it much easier and then can look at multiple holes and easily correct if camera is rotating out of position etc.

DIY you would need some sort of motor, controller, framework to hold it, way to attach to cable, all waterproof. Probably better off buying one unless you like to tinker.

Talking moose
11-11-2020, 11:49 AM
I use a marcum. Sits flat on the ice. Folds up small enough to fit in your coat pocket. Rechargeable battery. Works great.

huntsfurfish
11-11-2020, 12:28 PM
I have the aqua vu mopods and the marcum. I myself prefer the mopods.

Mopod II is internal batteries with wireless remote.

Mopod has no internal battery(it is 12v and powered by your fish finder battery, camera battery or another battery or that type-I have small 3 ah batteries that i use). Disadvantage to this one is extra weight required if you use separate batteries like me.

Marcum I have is internal battery with cable control. New in the box still had others that I sold.

I like to have my cameras placed outside the tent or further if we are using tipups or Jawjackers.

PS - I believe marcum now has wireless remote too.

Zip-in-Z
11-11-2020, 02:57 PM
My first AquaVu "MoPod" motor burnt out got another Mopod almost immediately, it's got a good stand & really like the remote feature.

When I plan on working a specific spot I've done well on in the past, I set it up outside my shack about 5 feet behind me, to locate your presentation I use a large flashy spoon for camera head orientation, then your good, if it's cold out cover it with a pail, that way your not worried about the hole freezing up or blowing snow.

Only downside is it takes more time to set up and tear down all you stuff if you like to move around a lot to work different structure.

Most often I just drop my camera down the hole I'm fishin and pan the area, and drag it up, if I see fish in the distance, I concentrate on working my presentation vs watching the camera. Whites are quick & I've missed to many watching TV vs fishin.

Wish you all the success this hard water season.

D.

happyfisher
11-11-2020, 06:18 PM
1x2 wood with a piece of leather...lol...move it manually

SamSteele
11-11-2020, 08:23 PM
I use the MoPod with my Marcum camera as well. It’s a good unit and I’ve had it for 5 years. I like the remote and wouldnt go without the powered tripod. It allows me to set the camera outside the tent and rotate it while I’m inside to see what may be around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EZM
11-11-2020, 09:15 PM
I use the Marcum panner ......... also set it up with a piece of 12"x12" plywood with a slot and small hole in the middle to keep it from tipping into the ice and keeping the panner off the ice/water and not on the cold (keep batteries good longer). Very similar in design cut out to the one in the photo above (except mine's square). Like a mini square outhouse toilet seat with a slot made for a gnome.

I usually run the camera on the edge on the tent (on the inside) and point towards the holes in the middle - like 6-7 feet away. Then I thread the cord under my tent poles and the tent *wedges in there nicely) and dangle the remote right next to me so I'm not tripping over it and it's handy.

Works good.

Poppa
11-12-2020, 03:28 PM
So some of you guys set the camera up OUTSIDE the tent, eh? I drill 3 holes in a triangle in my tent. 1 is my dead stick, 1 is my active rod, and the "top hole" of the triangle is for the camera. I have it pointing back toward my either my active lure or the dead stick (or sometimes work back and forth over the course of the day...)

slamilton
11-12-2020, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the help all. Most of the reviews of the Mopod online are really bad saying it wont connect so I was a little worried. I see there is also an Ice Pod which is manually operated. Anyone have any experience with that?

SamSteele
11-12-2020, 03:46 PM
So some of you guys set the camera up OUTSIDE the tent, eh? I drill 3 holes in a triangle in my tent. 1 is my dead stick, 1 is my active rod, and the "top hole" of the triangle is for the camera. I have it pointing back toward my either my active lure or the dead stick (or sometimes work back and forth over the course of the day...)

I drill my holes in a hockey stick shape. Camera tripod outside (unless it’s really cold) in the offset hole so you can see the other 2-3 holes at the same time without rotating the camera.

I put the tripod outside so it’s one less thing to trip over, one less hole to drop stuff down, and gives me more room inside the tent where I want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poppa
11-12-2020, 05:29 PM
interesting stuff -- do you guys put much stock in the camera spooking fish? I've never really noticed any issues...

Zip-in-Z
11-12-2020, 08:58 PM
interesting stuff -- do you guys put much stock in the camera spooking fish? I've never really noticed any issues...

Mainly in Sylvan ... Mr White doesn't like my camera in shallow water, in deep water say 20-22 ft plus, not as concerned. The water clarity in Gull has been a bit murky in the past few years & the Whites were not all that shy, unfortunately, last year I didn't see many & didn't catch one before we departed to SoCal in January.

Cheers

D.

Poppa
11-13-2020, 04:15 PM
I fish primarily in 10-15 FOW for walleye, and it hasn't been an issue YET, that I can tell, but more research is needed for sure.

Talking moose
11-13-2020, 04:33 PM
I think the camera helps bring fish in. Not sure about whites though. For whites I don’t go horizontal to my presentation. I leave the camera at the bottom of the hole where the ice stops pointing down. I’ve always heard cameras spooked whites so I’ve always done this way.

EZM
11-13-2020, 09:37 PM
I see whites cruising around the camera all the time - I'm not convinced it always spooks whites.

I can tell you pike, burbs, perch and walleye don't seem to care at all - had many fish come up and take a nibble at the camera.

Funny thing to, when it slows down, sometimes we ice scoop the water and make some noise - seems to bring in fish sometimes.

I also always keep a rattlin rap on a extra rod - give it a bit of action and noise down there every once in a while - you would be surprised how many time something swims in and hammers it.

Poppa
11-14-2020, 05:19 PM
I see whites cruising around the camera all the time - I'm not convinced it always spooks whites.

I can tell you pike, burbs, perch and walleye don't seem to care at all - had many fish come up and take a nibble at the camera.

Funny thing to, when it slows down, sometimes we ice scoop the water and make some noise - seems to bring in fish sometimes.

I also always keep a rattlin rap on a extra rod - give it a bit of action and noise down there every once in a while - you would be surprised how many time something swims in and hammers it.I would say that 90% of the time, I fish with a rattle bait (Jackall TN60 orLive Target Golden Shiner) on my active rod and a Reel Bait flasher jig with a frozen saltie on my dead stick. Few things are more productive for walleye and Pike...

kevinhits
11-14-2020, 05:41 PM

I do the same but depending on the outside temp, will set up in or out. Prefer outside as the remote cord is 20 feet for my marcum and less one hole to trip over in the tent. I set up 3 holes as well, one for the camera opposite side of tent. This also depends on the visibility of the water as well.

kevinhits
11-14-2020, 05:43 PM

I also always keep a rattlin rap on a extra rod - give it a bit of action and noise down there every once in a while - you would be surprised how many time something swims in and hammers it.

I find the Whites are not spooked by my camera....Have had them come from behind and strike hard....

OL_JR
11-14-2020, 06:58 PM
I have (or had) the Marcum initially, worked fine but I dropped it on concrete and it quit working properly. Obviously not the panners fault. Ended up taking the guts out of it and it works well as a manual panner backup now. Decided to try the Mopod as it was on sale and no complaints. Honestly if I had to buy either again it would just come down to which one was cheaper.