PDA

View Full Version : Chickakoo Lake

hunterngather
11-13-2020, 09:25 PM
Thinking of taking the kids fishing to Chickakoo fishing once it freezes over well enough.

Anyone ever been?

3blade
11-14-2020, 10:34 AM
It’s been winter and summer killing ever year for a few years now. Was there for a hike in sept and the water smelled horrible. Lots of people, no one catching.

Cardiff would be a better bet, they stocked it in sept. The fish will still be small and dumb, perfect for kids. Or look at the stocking report and pick any pond stocked in the fall

HuyFishin
11-14-2020, 11:31 AM
is this place getting more and more shallow and stinky lol I never go here anymore. Just feels like i'm fishing a frog swamp

hunterngather
11-14-2020, 11:48 AM
It’s been winter and summer killing ever year for a few years now. Was there for a hike in sept and the water smelled horrible. Lots of people, no one catching.

Cardiff would be a better bet, they stocked it in sept. The fish will still be small and dumb, perfect for kids. Or look at the stocking report and pick any pond stocked in the fall

Thanks for the heads up.

Ill look into Cardiff, too bad it's a nice area.

YeeHaw
11-14-2020, 01:48 PM
Has it been dying off since the introduction of the air raiders set up on the lake? Doubt there would be much ice with all of them running

Red Bullets
11-14-2020, 02:29 PM
Across the road from Chickakoo is Sauer's lake. It is deep and usually gives up a trout or two.

Red Bullets
11-14-2020, 09:51 PM
Across the road from Chickakoo is Sauer's lake. It is deep and usually gives up a trout or two.

Just to add about Sauer's, be sure the ice is safe because it is deep just a few feet from shore where you walk on.

hunterngather
11-15-2020, 08:59 AM
Just to add about Sauer's, be sure the ice is safe because it is deep just a few feet from shore where you walk on.

Thanks RB for that. How deep is the little lake?

Red Bullets
11-15-2020, 09:56 PM

About 30 feet right in front of where you walk on.

Red Bullets
11-15-2020, 10:47 PM

Better still, here is good info on Sauer lake. It says it winterkills but I don't think every winter. Was stocked with 6000 trout in May. Click on "figure 2" (in blue letters) for the depth map. It drops off quick to get to 36 feet considering the lake is only 150 yards wide where you walk on.

http://albertalakes.ualberta.ca/?page=lake&region=3&lake=84

hunterngather
11-16-2020, 08:25 AM
Better still, here is good info on Sauer lake. It says it winterkills but I don't think every winter. Was stocked with 6000 trout in May. Click on "figure 2" (in blue letters) for the depth map. It drops off quick to get to 36 feet considering the lake is only 150 yards wide where you walk on.

http://albertalakes.ualberta.ca/?page=lake&region=3&lake=84

That was really neat to read through, thanks for that!

Mr Flyguy
11-16-2020, 10:13 PM
Has it been dying off since the introduction of the air raiders set up on the lake? Doubt there would be much ice with all of them running

Air raiders (osprey) kill trout but what about aerators? :sHa_shakeshout:

ghostguy6
11-17-2020, 08:20 AM
If your going to give Sauer a try stay away from the beaver lodge. The ice can be very thin at times with little warning.

AlbertanGP
11-19-2020, 02:59 PM
I always found Sauer to be quite clear as well, so the kids might get to see some fish down a hole if the conditions are right. I always found yoinking brookies out of Chickakoo in 12-18" of water to be anti-climactic myself.

YeeHaw
11-19-2020, 09:57 PM
The little back bay on the left side of the lake is good at first ice, drops off to 8ft

Wiseslider76
11-23-2020, 03:03 PM
is this place getting more and more shallow and stinky lol I never go here anymore. Just feels like i'm fishing a frog swamp

agreed its disgusting there. on a good note they stocked hasse again and put aerators in.