PDA

View Full Version : Sibbald lake flies???

bowness
06-09-2007, 12:13 PM
I have made a few trips with my family out to Sibbald lake and had no luck fishing from shore. Was fishing flies and bait but difficult to get out to the fish from shore. Wondering what fly to present when I go out in a belly boat tomorrow? One guy who was having success said he was using a marabou leech? It was a very fast jerky retrieve. Any ideas or recommendations?:confused:

packhuntr
06-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Id chuck a panther or some small balsa at em, but im more of a mechanical guy, and wasnt blessed with the talent, or the patience required for hard core fly fishin. Good luck, and have fun.

keep a strain on er.

bowness
06-10-2007, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the info. I fish with the method thats productive and the guys in belly boats were far outfishing everybody else. I'll see what happens tomorrow. May not make it out to Sibbald, might just try Dewitts for a quick fun trip with my 3 year old son.

Scott N
06-10-2007, 07:05 AM
I find that wooly buggers, pheasant tail nymphs, and hare's ear nymphs will work consistently in just about every trout pond. Sometimes the size of the pattern seems to make quite a difference, with smaller being better.

bowness
06-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Thats great information. Had a try at Dewitts pond today and had some fun using a elk hair caddis. Not many and all small. Bait just is not working in the small ponds for me this year. Tried Mcclean, Sibbald, Dewitts and slow on bait. Maybe just bad timing.

winged1
06-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Did Sibald just before the rain and the little ones where crazy over a small dry mosquito. Did it again couple of nights ago and not a single rise anywhere. I'm sure that the rain washed through a ph altering mineral? Will try again tomorrow evening.

bowness
06-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Let me know how you do. Thinking of heading out there next weekend. Nice campsite for the family. Rivers open on 15 th so might chase some cutties if flows and clarity are ok.