PDA

View Full Version : Hasse lake is alive again

Wiseslider76
11-23-2020, 02:59 PM
they stocked 25,000 trout this year. tiger, rainbow and brown and installed aerators. its alive again folks.

Sundancefisher
11-23-2020, 03:13 PM
they stocked 25,000 trout this year. tiger, rainbow and brown and installed aerators. its alive again folks.

Are the perch gone?

Wiseslider76
11-23-2020, 03:17 PM
Are the perch gone?

regulations state you can take 15 perch, but they didn't stock any this year. lake rehabilitation is underway. they haven't stocked for years because of high phosphorus causing kill. now they have aerators and trout stocked. but didn't say anything about Perch.

MyAlberta
11-23-2020, 03:27 PM
Such a wonderful fishery back in the late seventies. Hope it has some success.

Sundancefisher
11-23-2020, 03:42 PM
regulations state you can take 15 perch, but they didn't stock any this year. lake rehabilitation is underway. they haven't stocked for years because of high phosphorus causing kill. now they have aerators and trout stocked. but didn't say anything about Perch.

Hopefully they see the same impact on perch in Hasse as we saw at Sundance. Browns and tigers will be good predators. In three years there could be jumbo perch and lots of trout if they put a size limit on them.

Wiseslider76
11-23-2020, 04:09 PM
Hopefully they see the same impact on perch in Hasse as we saw at Sundance. Browns and tigers will be good predators. In three years there could be jumbo perch and lots of trout if they put a size limit on them.

Agreed. i am very excited as the lake is 10 mins from my house so it will be a great little place to go and spend a day. i never keep any fish so ill be catch and release only.

338Bluff
11-23-2020, 05:14 PM

I dont know if there was even a remnant population of perch left when they finally restocked it. It was virtually sterile for several years save for some sticklebacks.

PeterSL
11-23-2020, 06:49 PM
ACA reported no sign of perch in the netting prior to stocking in May, just minnows. And I'm sure brown trout weren't stocked at Hasse. It was rainbows in the spring and rainbows and tigers in the fall. It took ACA four years to get the water quality back to a level that could support trout. This has and will continue to be an expensive reclaimation project. Hopefully the bucket brigade will stay away and Hasse will return to being a great trout fishery, especially for kids. Anyone looking for perch in the area should check out Star lake - nets set by hatchery staff one day this year produced 2 rainbows and 219 perch!

SNAPFisher
11-23-2020, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the update Wiseslider. Great to hear indeed. I hope the lake and fish are going to do well.

Sundancefisher
11-23-2020, 07:24 PM
ACA reported no sign of perch in the netting prior to stocking in May, just minnows. And I'm sure brown trout weren't stocked at Hasse. It was rainbows in the spring and rainbows and tigers in the fall. It took ACA four years to get the water quality back to a level that could support trout. This has and will continue to be an expensive reclaimation project. Hopefully the bucket brigade will stay away and Hasse will return to being a great trout fishery, especially for kids. Anyone looking for perch in the area should check out Star lake - nets set by hatchery staff one day this year produced 2 rainbows and 219 perch!

That’s awesome news if the perch all died off.

If stickleback and/or fathead minnows survived I find it is hard to believe all the perch died.

That being said...lots of predation will be a great check on any remaining perch.

Hope it’s an awesome fishery!

EZM
11-23-2020, 08:02 PM
I don't think the perch died off, IIRC they poisoned the lake to kill the perch and stocked minnows. A year or two later (this year) they stocked trout.

I could be wrong - but this is what I read somewhere (that was going to be the plan).

Sundancefisher
11-23-2020, 10:53 PM
I don't think the perch died off, IIRC they poisoned the lake to kill the perch and stocked minnows. A year or two later (this year) they stocked trout.

I could be wrong - but this is what I read somewhere (that was going to be the plan).

Found this

https://www.ab-conservation.com/programs/fish/projects/hasse-lake-fisheries-restoration/

PerchBuster
11-24-2020, 06:38 AM
I did an exploratory fishin mission on that lake 3 or 4 yrs ago, fished it hard to see if any survivors, not a Perch to be found in there. Trout should do well if they can get them to over winter.

HuyFishin
11-24-2020, 09:37 AM
this is fantastic news. I cant wait too see how the lake turns out in 2 years

Talking moose
11-24-2020, 11:47 AM

Big broods right now....

bezzola
11-24-2020, 03:43 PM
It will be fished out soon and in the summer it will so gross

35 whelen
11-24-2020, 04:07 PM
With the amount of people fishing now in and around Edmonton it'll never be like it was in the 70s and early 80s I don't think

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Talking moose
11-24-2020, 04:27 PM
Just got off the ice there. I was the only one all day. Lol
Sunday’s would be different.

Talking moose
11-24-2020, 04:28 PM
With the amount of people fishing now in and around Edmonton it'll never be like it was in the 70s and early 80s I don't think

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

What was it like in the 80’s?

35 whelen
11-24-2020, 06:54 PM
Big rainbows if I remember right,

Dewey Cox
11-24-2020, 07:11 PM
Big rainbows, and big hair.

Wiseslider76
11-24-2020, 07:55 PM

Going to hit it up this weekend for a few hours . Maybe I’ll see ya out there only not in our kayaks this time

pipco
11-25-2020, 05:53 PM
doh!

ghostguy6
11-25-2020, 09:50 PM
If you want to make Hasse into a decent fishery again its probably best to ask for this thread to be deleted and keep the information to yourself. Any lake close to a major city will get hit hard and fast once it become public online. We've seen it many times on this forum. It seems like for every honest fisherman here there are 50 who just leech information.

Afrayedknot
11-26-2020, 02:50 PM
If you want to make Hasse into a decent fishery again its probably best to ask for this thread to be deleted and keep the information to yourself. Any lake close to a major city will get hit hard and fast once it become public online. We've seen it many times on this forum. It seems like for every honest fisherman here there are 50 who just leech information.

Agree with this 100%!!!

Talking moose
11-26-2020, 04:19 PM

There’s already videos of it on the Facebook fishing pages.
They see a ton of traffic. Too late.

338Bluff
11-26-2020, 06:23 PM

You don't think people can read a stocking report or pick up on the ACA Facebook feed?

This is a well known, stocked lake close to a couple million people not an unamed perch lake north of LacLaBiche.

338Bluff
11-26-2020, 06:26 PM
https://open.alberta.ca/publications/fish-stocking-list

Talking moose
11-26-2020, 06:58 PM
https://youtu.be/Iglyx2c_jdQ
Here’s a link. Lol

Talking moose
11-26-2020, 07:08 PM
Another recent link to the lake.
https://youtu.be/EgusxjzqJ24

bessiedog
11-26-2020, 07:16 PM
My fav lake to fish growing up.

Huge trout! I mean huge!!

Shemeluk lake was great back then as well.

ghostguy6
11-27-2020, 08:04 AM
You don't think people can read a stocking report or pick up on the ACA Facebook feed?

This is a well known, stocked lake close to a couple million people not an unamed perch lake north of LacLaBiche.

I think most of the people I am referring to are also the ones that are too lazy to look up those reports. They just want to quick give me a location to fish close to home so I can take my entire family out, keep their limits and move to the next lake types.

I'm saying the more we talk about it the more pressure there will be. Lets face it, most of the members are here because they were googling something, this was the first site they found and they decided to stay. Currently this forum has 74,747 members but how many even have a post count? The guests can also read without even signing up so who knows how many people can read this thread, find an easy location and fish it dry.

We've seen it many times, someone posts a picture of a nice fish out of a local lake and next weekend the fishing pressure out there has tripled. Happened at Chickacoo, Legends, Devon Bridge, Wab. ext.

Talking moose
11-27-2020, 09:21 AM
I think most of the people I am referring to are also the ones that are too lazy to look up those reports. They just want to quick give me a location to fish close to home so I can take my entire family out, keep their limits and move to the next lake types.

I'm saying the more we talk about it the more pressure there will be. Lets face it, most of the members are here because they were googling something, this was the first site they found and they decided to stay. Currently this forum has 74,747 members but how many even have a post count? The guests can also read without even signing up so who knows how many people can read this thread, find an easy location and fish it dry.

We've seen it many times, someone posts a picture of a nice fish out of a local lake and next weekend the fishing pressure out there has tripled. Happened at Chickacoo, Legends, Devon Bridge, Wab. ext.

How do you feel about ice thickness threads?
People sitting around waiting for good ice and someone posts 4” good ice at so and so lake/pond. Fishing was great.
Next few days it’s getting hammered. Lol
Over the next week or two, people’s other lakes are having good ice now and people are starting to disperse to their favourite lakes.
But the damage is done.
Oh well. Just put and take stocking lakes..... that’s what they are there for I guess.

SNAPFisher
11-27-2020, 02:30 PM

Agree but this isn't going to stop. In the age of social media and "picture me here", "look at me doing this..." ... there is no chance of stopping this. One of the lower impactful places for posting a pic is on here on AO. The amount that is happening on Trashbook and InstaHero is unparalleled. It just is, what is now.

Zip-in-Z
11-27-2020, 02:39 PM
I'm saying the more we talk about it the more pressure there will be. We've seen it many times, someone posts a picture of a nice fish out of a local lake and next weekend the fishing pressure out there has tripled. Happened at Chickacoo, Legends, Devon Bridge, Wab. ext.

Should change the name to Troutville, sounds better than Hasse, and no one know were it is, may have to check it out.

D.

SNAPFisher
11-27-2020, 06:21 PM
Should change the name to Troutville, sounds better than Hasse, and no one know were it is, may have to check it out.

D.

:lol:

pipco
11-28-2020, 09:06 AM
Already fished out from news on the tin can and string fish app.

:)

(Or in the words of another forum member safetyD)

It's dead.

SNAPFisher
11-28-2020, 09:12 AM

It's dead.

:lol:

Talking moose
11-28-2020, 09:34 AM

It's dead.

Nope. Here now.