PDA

View Full Version : Would You Use An Expensive Reel For Ice Fishing ???

Hartly
12-02-2020, 06:27 AM
Hey guys!!! Would you use your expensive reel for ice fishing ? I’m thinking of using my Shimano Sustain 3000 spinning reel for Lakers at Cold Lake. I would be matching it with a St Croix Custom Apex Predator Ice Rod 42' . They think I’m nuts. They keep telling me ice fishing is very hard on equipment and that I’ll wreck the reel. What’s your opinion? Thanks in advance.

Poppa
12-02-2020, 07:36 AM
I would have no problem using a good reel for ice fishing. IMO, the reel is far more important than the rod. You absolutely have to have a good drag system. My Pflueger President reel goes from my St Croix open water rod to my Shimano Convergence ice rod, depending on the season...

old dog
12-02-2020, 07:38 AM
Without a doubt. No reason not too. I would watch what find of rod holder u use same as in a boat.

Esox
12-02-2020, 07:46 AM
yes, in fact I would say a good reel is as important, if not more important in the winter with a really good drag on it as the shorter rods are a little (not a ton) less forgiving than your standard open water rod for playing fish.

AlbertanGP
12-02-2020, 08:09 AM
I run Shimano Stradic Ci4's and have 13 Fishing FreeFall TrickShop's on custom rods...mostly TUCR's right now. If you've experienced the difference between a good drag and a poor one as a large fish is peeling line on a cold reel that's been sitting outside for awhile, it's a no-brainer.

Besides, #$^% what other people say about how you want to fish. You do you boo.

35 whelen
12-02-2020, 08:17 AM
yes all mine are top of the line ,just switch over for summer

SamSteele
12-02-2020, 08:50 AM
I use my Ci4+ reels on the ice all the time. Only thing to consider changing is the line. If you are using braid in the summer you may want to consider using mono or fluro in the winter as braid holds water (even the supposed ice braids do after a bit) which causes your rod guides to freeze up, and can also freeze around your bail system. If you fish inside a heated shack/tent it isn't usually a problem. If you are outside you will want to make the change.

SS

Esox
12-02-2020, 09:23 AM
I use my Ci4+ reels on the ice all the time. Only thing to consider changing is the line. If you are using braid in the summer you may want to consider using mono or fluro in the winter as braid holds water (even the supposed ice braids do after a bit) which causes your rod guides to freeze up, and can also freeze around your bail system. If you fish inside a heated shack/tent it isn't usually a problem. If you are outside you will want to make the change.

SS

there is also coated braid for the winter, its still not the best but I use it on my walleye and laker rods and dont have too many problems with freezing up.

SamSteele
12-02-2020, 10:05 AM
there is also coated braid for the winter, its still not the best but I use it on my walleye and laker rods and dont have too many problems with freezing up.

What brand are you using? I've used the PowerPro Ice Braid and it starts out pretty good, but I had the coating/wax wear off after a while and it started to ice up. Braid is the way to go if you can keep the ice from forming.

Lowrance Fishburn
12-02-2020, 10:16 AM
I mean if you have the money why not? I have found that most of the ice fishing combo rod/reels I have bought have had adequate drag systems. I don't usually get the cheap stuff but they aren't exactly Stradic prices either. Use some good line and on a decent setup the drag will probably be fine. If after you spool yourself up you discover the drag is crap, bring the whole setup back to where you got it and get an exchange or refund. Boom

HuyFishin
12-02-2020, 11:45 AM
Hey guys!!! Would you use your expensive reel for ice fishing ? I’m thinking of using my Shimano Sustain 3000 spinning reel for Lakers at Cold Lake. I would be matching it with a St Croix Custom Apex Predator Ice Rod 42' . They think I’m nuts. They keep telling me ice fishing is very hard on equipment and that I’ll wreck the reel. What’s your opinion? Thanks in advance.

I use all my 300 dollar reels on ice. It’s made to be used [emoji2369]. Only sad part is with factory greases in -35c makes it act like a 20 dollar reel.

Also damn you! Did you buy the last croix custom ice apex predator from cabelas North!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

58thecat
12-02-2020, 12:01 PM
don't have worry about that problem....expensive is not my forte:) but if I had a million dollar set up I would use the heck out of it...

Tfng
12-02-2020, 12:15 PM
I mean if you have the money why not? I have found that most of the ice fishing combo rod/reels I have bought have had adequate drag systems. I don't usually get the cheap stuff but they aren't exactly Stradic prices either. Use some good line and on a decent setup the drag will probably be fine. If after you spool yourself up you discover the drag is crap, bring the whole setup back to where you got it and get an exchange or refund. Boom

This all day long for me personally. It hurts a little less when you find out the auger and the reel had a fight while being towed in the sleigh!

Drewski Canuck
12-02-2020, 12:25 PM
For Cold Lake Lakers in 100' of course you need a good reel and good drag.

But ice fishing is very hard on the rod and reel because the plastic components do not like to be very cold, and ice does damage alot of stuff by simply being ice.

In a tent with heater, you lessen the chance of brittle plastic and ice jamming things up. But yes, what you are doing needs a good reel as you never know if it is a 2 # Laker or a 25 # Laker that hits your jig. A good run is very probable, and you do not need a cheap drag sticking on you.

Drewski

TROLLER
12-02-2020, 12:28 PM
Only issue for me is a 3000 is a pretty large reel for an ice rod.

I only use Shimano but have the 500 on my ice rods.

YeeHaw
12-02-2020, 01:21 PM
I feel behind the times as I use nothing more than a spool of line and a hook unless I'm fishing deep water lol:bad_boys_20:

Hartly
12-02-2020, 07:34 PM
I use all my 300 dollar reels on ice. It’s made to be used [emoji2369]. Only sad part is with factory greases in -35c makes it act like a 20 dollar reel.

Also damn you! Did you buy the last croix custom ice apex predator from cabelas North!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BAHAHAHA. Hey HuyFishin yes I did buy the last one at Cabelas. Great job on the videos . My kids and I love them.

stob
12-02-2020, 07:49 PM
yes all mine are top of the line ,just switch over for summer

X2

calgarygringo
12-02-2020, 08:09 PM
We catch as many and as big or bigger fish on the ice so why would we use anything different than summer. I could never figure out that one. Only other is if you have tip ups and handing it in. Good rod and good reel like summer and go catch some fish.

HuyFishin
12-03-2020, 02:43 PM
BAHAHAHA. Hey HuyFishin yes I did buy the last one at Cabelas. Great job on the videos . My kids and I love them.

I really wanted that rod haha cabelas is the only place you can get them. If you buy it any other way you have to deal with shipping from usa ect.

Albertadiver
12-03-2020, 02:46 PM
Call me weird, but all i've ever used is line on a paint stir stick... just how we did it when I was a kid.

Walleyedude
12-03-2020, 04:25 PM
Yep, straight from summer to winter. I think your higher end reels are probably far less likely to give you grief or get damaged in the cold due to better quality internals and a lot less use of cheap plastic.

Dropping them down the hole or having them get beat up in a sled are the risks, but you can drop a reel overboard or have it get beat up on the deck of the boat or in a truck too. I don't see much difference.

Use 'em if you got 'em!