PDA

View Full Version : Humminbird mega live imaging

raw outdoors
12-06-2020, 09:51 AM
Check it out. If it’s as good as the Garmin they may have a hit.
https://youtu.be/95yk2K2u1yw

mapleleafman3
12-06-2020, 11:10 AM
Can't wait to see it in action. I see all the brands are bring on similar techs.

SamSteele
12-09-2020, 10:07 PM
I have one on pre-order. Hopefully it arrives in early Spring and I can give a good report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlbertanGP
12-09-2020, 10:15 PM
I skimmed that real quick. All I got from it was that another pro down south won a tourney with LiveScope. Russell Marine is a great channel to sub for electronics info though for sure.

Also, I just saw this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVv559dl5VA) video of Lowrance's new Active Target posted by TFH. Didn't do anything to pump me up to drop a few grand in the Spring that's for sure.

Walleyedude
12-10-2020, 08:37 AM
I skimmed that real quick. All I got from it was that another pro down south won a tourney with LiveScope. Russell Marine is a great channel to sub for electronics info though for sure.

Also, I just saw this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVv559dl5VA) video of Lowrance's new Active Target posted by TFH. Didn't do anything to pump me up to drop a few grand in the Spring that's for sure.

All brand loyalty or debate aside, how can you look at those images and everything that's out there on the net and not be amazed? This kind of imaging wasn't even something I could imagine 5-10 years ago. Yeah, the price is steep, but what an amazing leap in technology we're seeing. Is it perfect? Nope, not even close, there's noise, you can see where the separate beams are being stitched together, the motion damping needs work, etc... It's kinda like the first color TV or the first HDTV, a huge step forward, but archaic by current standards. I can hardly wait to see what it looks like in 10 years from now, by that time, it might very well be "too good".

Will it make fish jump in your boat? Nope. But the ability to "see" underwater with that level of detail is pretty incredible. All of the "Live" sonar systems give us an unprecedented tool to be able to see and understand how the underwater world of structure, bait, current, etc... affect fish behavior, and actually see how fish react to their surroundings and to the lures we're trying to catch them with.

You can look into the water and cast to a specific fish - you know where it is, how big it is, and maybe even what species it is - just by looking down at your sonar unit. Maybe just as important, you also know if there's nothing there.

The results in the bass tournaments down south are pretty indisputable, if you don't have one of these systems on your boat, you are at a MAJOR disadvantage. They are that effective once you learn how to use them. I have the Lowrance Active Target on order, and my goal for this upcoming fishing season is going to be exactly that - to learn when and how to use this technology to get the most enjoyment out of my time on the water. I can hardly wait.

SamSteele
12-10-2020, 08:53 AM
All brand loyalty or debate aside, how can you look at those images and everything that's out there on the net and not be amazed? This kind of imaging wasn't even something I could imagine 5-10 years ago. Yeah, the price is steep, but what an amazing leap in technology we're seeing. Is it perfect? Nope, not even close, there's noise, you can see where the separate beams are being stitched together, the motion damping needs work, etc... It's kinda like the first color TV or the first HDTV, a huge step forward, but archaic by current standards. I can hardly wait to see what it looks like in 10 years from now, by that time, it might very well be "too good".

Will it make fish jump in your boat? Nope. But the ability to "see" underwater with that level of detail is pretty incredible. All of the "Live" sonar systems give us an unprecedented tool to be able to see and understand how the underwater world of structure, bait, current, etc... affect fish behavior, and actually see how fish react to their surroundings and to the lures we're trying to catch them with.

You can look into the water and cast to a specific fish - you know where it is, how big it is, and maybe even what species it is - just by looking down at your sonar unit. Maybe just as important, you also know if there's nothing there.

The results in the bass tournaments down south are pretty indisputable, if you don't have one of these systems on your boat, you are at a MAJOR disadvantage. They are that effective once you learn how to use them. I have the Lowrance Active Target on order, and my goal for this upcoming fishing season is going to be exactly that - to learn when and how to use this technology to get the most enjoyment out of my time on the water. I can hardly wait.

Agree with this wholeheartedly. It doesn't matter what brand you are talking about, the advancements in sonar technology available to fishermen is far beyond what we would have dreamed of 10 years ago. Live mapping, GPS tech built in, networkable units, bluetooth, wireless, Mega imaging, live views, SI, DI, etc. You don't have to go too far back to find a time where the sonar unit was more of a depth finder than anything.

AlbertanGP
12-10-2020, 09:35 PM
I think you two are missing the point. I'm not saying live imaging isn't great. I've had a LiveScope for some time and spend time almost every time out demo'ing it for interested fellow ice anglers wondering why I'm outfishing them. My point was #1 the video in the link was a pretty much useless regurgitation of a data sheet put out by RMP of something that's supposed to be released in four months. It's like Humminbird is desperately trying to get it's fanbois to wait for them to catch up. I think the fact that yet another pro won a tourney with LiveScope tells you more of what you need to know than that video did.

Regarding the TFH video, it was terrible. That was seven foot long sturgeon in 20 feet of water. The images themselves were a far cry from the promo material Lowrance has put out for Active Target. Several reputable online sources have claimed Lowrance has caught Garmin based off of Lowrance's promo material so far released for Active Target. Heck, I was starting to buy in. But then I snapped out of it and thought let's wait and see what the public reviews look like. This is the first private stuff I've seen (albeit from the regional Lowrance rep) and I'm just saying I'm not impressed.

So I mean if you guys wanna spend $1,500+ on unproven technology, knock yourselves out. Ask the Lowrance LiveSight guys how that turned out for them. And for the record, I'm not a Garmin fanboi...I use whatever is the best. I have a $17,000 Lowrance network on my boat. And I was a member of the Yahoo group with Per years ago back when there was like 30 of us using/debugging/making suggestions for Dr. Depth. So if you like AutoChart on your Humminbird...you're welcome. :)

Walleyedude
12-11-2020, 08:47 AM
I think you two are missing the point. I'm not saying live imaging isn't great. I've had a LiveScope for some time and spend time almost every time out demo'ing it for interested fellow ice anglers wondering why I'm outfishing them. My point was #1 the video in the link was a pretty much useless regurgitation of a data sheet put out by RMP of something that's supposed to be released in four months. It's like Humminbird is desperately trying to get it's fanbois to wait for them to catch up. I think the fact that yet another pro won a tourney with LiveScope tells you more of what you need to know than that video did.

Regarding the TFH video, it was terrible. That was seven foot long sturgeon in 20 feet of water. The images themselves were a far cry from the promo material Lowrance has put out for Active Target. Several reputable online sources have claimed Lowrance has caught Garmin based off of Lowrance's promo material so far released for Active Target. Heck, I was starting to buy in. But then I snapped out of it and thought let's wait and see what the public reviews look like. This is the first private stuff I've seen (albeit from the regional Lowrance rep) and I'm just saying I'm not impressed.

So I mean if you guys wanna spend $1,500+ on unproven technology, knock yourselves out. Ask the Lowrance LiveSight guys how that turned out for them. And for the record, I'm not a Garmin fanboi...I use whatever is the best. I have a $17,000 Lowrance network on my boat. And I was a member of the Yahoo group with Per years ago back when there was like 30 of us using/debugging/making suggestions for Dr. Depth. So if you like AutoChart on your Humminbird...you're welcome. :)

Haters gonna hate LOL.

Every post in both threads so far has been the same. If you want to be skeptical and bash on the tech, and the videos, and on others for being enthusiastic about it, go ahead. Big time it all you want.

I much prefer a glass half full approach. I know none of this new technology is going to be perfect, it never is, but the way I see it, it's pretty amazing that it's even available, and I'm looking forward to it.

58thecat
12-11-2020, 08:56 AM

17K fish liar...holysnappin' … wow...

Jamie Black R/T
12-11-2020, 10:18 AM
...:bad_boys_20::bad_boys_20::bad_boys_20: .....

#WarriorFlex

The Fisherman Guy
12-11-2020, 11:36 AM
Garmin is eclipsing all other companies with more than just advanced tech alone.

Try running a price comparison based on features between brands, and you will be astounded at how much the price disparity is.

There's many reasons why many anglers are switching to Garmin.

Mine came with a screen protector, quick detach mount to remove the head unit without disconnecting wires, LakeVu maps already installed, and the free Active Captain app which shares information among users. Navionics wants you to pay for their map card, then charge you a subscription to use their app as well? No thanks.

Times are changing and it means better value for anglers.

Walleyedude
12-11-2020, 01:17 PM
Try running a price comparison based on features between brands, and you will be astounded at how much the price disparity is.

My experience has actually been the opposite, especially lately, and I'd guess that's by design.

Each brand has their entry level, mid level, and high end offerings, and the prices to match. The hardest part is making a true apples to apples comparison between the brands due to all of the features to account for, variations within each feature, and any add-ons that you may or may not need to make it all work. In general though, once you're comparing like to like, the difference in the out the door price between the brands is pretty minimal.

SamSteele
12-11-2020, 01:18 PM
The quality of Garmin's SI and DI images pales in comparison to Humminbird and Lowrance though, so it seems the only advantage at the moment is Livescope, which is crazy in price for most.

AlbertanGP
12-11-2020, 03:00 PM
Meh. I went off the deep end with that reply and I feel a bit bad. Preaching to me about tech is like poking the bear. At any rate, it would be nice if Lowrance & Humminbird could bring something decent to the table. Lowrance may get there with a lot of software revisions. Humminbird is still a shot in the dark. I wouldn't be giving either of them my money right now. I have too many times in the past and been burnt pretty much every time by Lowrance. I'm super happy to give my money to anyone besides them.