PDA

View Full Version : Fishing at night...

DJS
12-09-2020, 03:58 PM
Just curious if anyone here can point out where in the regulations it states that night fishing is legal? I am almost certain that it is but for the life of me I can't find it in the regs anywhere.

AlbertanGP
12-09-2020, 04:02 PM
It is legal by default unless the water body has a specific designation that it can't be fished at certain times. If you want to see what that looks like in the regs, look up Sturgeon Lake. ;)

Zip-in-Z
12-09-2020, 04:09 PM
There will be a bunch of guys moving into the 4 shacks/trailers that got parked yesterday on Sylvan (Norglenwold area) at 8:00 pm Thursday night so they can get set up and drink beer then fish at 12:01 am Friday Dec 11th .... Opening Day.

Hopefully their vehicles & shacks don't go through the 11" of so called ice, me thinks it's less.

D.

pinelakeperch
12-09-2020, 04:28 PM
It is legal by default unless the water body has a specific designation that it can't be fished at certain times. If you want to see what that looks like in the regs, look up Sturgeon Lake. ;)

This is correct. Crawling Valley also has regulations for fishing after dusk. No restrictions unless otherwise noted.

DJS
12-09-2020, 06:28 PM
Thx guys!

HuyFishin
12-10-2020, 01:31 PM
I find night fishing to be very fun and cozy. A lot more silence and more calming as well. Less people and no snowmobiles ect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poppa
12-10-2020, 01:39 PM
I kinda wanna do it for New Year's with the wife this year, since we can't do much else anyhow. Don't really want to spend the entire night in our tent, but maybe a late-evening to late-night bite.

Curious question for those that have done it -- do the fish migrate to a different area at night than they would be at during the day? Would they be moving shallower? On to a hump? In to a weed bed? Just curious if any of the vets know about this kind of thing...

AlbertanGP
12-10-2020, 02:18 PM
First off, be aware that fishing well into the night is a slower proposition for most species. The one immediate exception that comes to mind is burbot, where I've spent many nights hammering fish well after midnight. In terms of species that I would expect to be catchable fishing until say 10pm, I'd list walleye, whitefish and trout. Walleye, of course, have the vision to feed at night. Whitefish and trout (including lakers) just cruise around and have the chance to "bump into" your lure it seems. Fishing where you would at dusk is the norm, since moving around at night is a bit of a pain. Make sure you have a headlamp so you don't forget/lose anything.

Poppa
12-10-2020, 02:37 PM
First off, be aware that fishing well into the night is a slower proposition for most species. The one immediate exception that comes to mind is burbot, where I've spent many nights hammering fish well after midnight. In terms of species that I would expect to be catchable fishing until say 10pm, I'd list walleye, whitefish and trout. Walleye, of course, have the vision to feed at night. Whitefish and trout (including lakers) just cruise around and have the chance to "bump into" your lure it seems. Fishing where you would at dusk is the norm, since moving around at night is a bit of a pain. Make sure you have a headlamp so you don't forget/lose anything.appreciate this -- thanks!

Gbuss
12-10-2020, 03:09 PM
This video should answer your question. https://youtu.be/t9J_acbjBt4

RavYak
12-10-2020, 03:28 PM
Curious question for those that have done it -- do the fish migrate to a different area at night than they would be at during the day? Would they be moving shallower? On to a hump? In to a weed bed? Just curious if any of the vets know about this kind of thing...

Yes different areas than during the day, where depends on the species and even lake but for the most part shallower is usually a safer bet. The fish active at night are feeding so go where you believe they will be searching out bait.

Zip-in-Z
12-10-2020, 05:52 PM
Go to Gull and set up at Brownlows after 100 plus people depart for the day, the Burbs & Walleye move in and clean up all the bait that gets left behind or dumped down the hole. Pound bottom in the shallows & call them in for dinner.

Sylvan - Norglenwold or RR23 once Shanty Town is fully occupied is another option.

I'd wait until mid-January then you can drive your vehicle on safely vs hauling all your overnight gear out.

D.

Talking moose
12-10-2020, 06:10 PM
I catch burbs and walleye at all hours of the night. Rarely catch anything else.

MountainTi
12-10-2020, 06:16 PM
I remember as a kid, some of my best ever ice fishing for rainbows was after dark. Was in a stocked lake south of Calgary. Action was usually non-stop. Haven't tried it since then and that was quite some time ago, but would think would still work

AlbertanGP
12-10-2020, 09:01 PM
I'm always set up 20-30 minutes before the crack of dawn when I hit stocked trout lakes (+/- every Friday morning since the weekends are usually a S&*^show on ours). Most days I see at least the odd one cruising around in the dark on the LiveScope. You can get them to strike, but they aren't usually "on" yet.

Moosetalker
12-11-2020, 11:09 AM
A Loooooong time ago {1970s} we would fish Hasse lake early summer full moon nights {Parkland one} Park warden who used to lock gate so people didn't overnight camp would close it behind us but not lock we would when we left. after 2-3am

Casting from the old dock we using mini marshmallows with an earth worm we caught some beast Rainbow's at night. my best was about 7.5 lbs and we lost quite a few I am sure were larger.

AlbertanGP
12-11-2020, 03:12 PM
I sense a trout lake overnighter in my future before the new year...

capper
12-11-2020, 06:51 PM
We do a trip to slave every year in the ice shacks and usually Don’t catch much after dark. My personal experience, much like what has already been said, is the night bite can be very slow (except for burbs).

That said we did an overnighter on calling last yr and I caught 13 walleye after dark. Had my bell going off at all hours of the night. So if you got nothing better to do, give it a go and maybe you will be rewarded.