PDA

View Full Version : Uncut Angling sight fishing for lake trout

35 whelen
12-15-2020, 08:48 AM
https://youtu.be/0-sFG-BEfxQ

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

58thecat
12-15-2020, 10:56 AM
man I power through his shows and don't realize where the time went...enjoying it.....when it -24 and 40kms winds I just hunker down in the den.:)

Talking moose
12-15-2020, 12:06 PM
Started watching it until I realized I already watched it. Thought it was new. Don’t do that to me 35! Lol

Jamie Black R/T
12-15-2020, 12:09 PM
Started watching it until I realized I already watched it. Thought it was new. Don’t do that to me 35! Lol

Same here.

Got all excited some new UA content...sadly mistaken.

What happened to Aaron he hardly posts anything these days. Real shame as his stuff is really good.

AlbertanGP
12-15-2020, 12:15 PM
He's probably re-evaluating his priorities after going through the ice at the start of the season trying to get content. It's not like he makes a lot of money on his channel. Jay says he's doing it for a living now. But there are sites that let you see what they are earning from their channels, and it's pretty meager unless there are other endorsements, etc.

Aaron still fishes a ton though. Just look him up on the Manitoba Master Angler web site. He's not even in the Top 100 (135 or so last I looked), but he has tagged some hogs of several species this past year. Same with Michelle.

35 whelen
12-15-2020, 12:46 PM
He's probably re-evaluating his priorities after going through the ice at the start of the season trying to get content. It's not like he makes a lot of money on his channel. Jay says he's doing it for a living now. But there are sites that let you see what they are earning from their channels, and it's pretty meager unless there are other endorsements, etc.

Aaron still fishes a ton though. Just look him up on the Manitoba Master Angler web site. He's not even in the Top 100 (135 or so last I looked), but he has tagged some hogs of several species this past year. Same with Michelle.How much would a guy make like him or Clayton are J 20 to 30 thousand views a video. I'm sure they sell all their old gear that they get given to them that still got to be a tough living

AlbertanGP
12-15-2020, 12:59 PM
How much would a guy make like him or Clayton are J 20 to 30 thousand views a video. I'm sure they sell all their old gear that they get given to them that still got to be a tough living

https://socialblade.com/

Jamie Black R/T
12-15-2020, 01:02 PM
I'm sure they sell all their old gear that they get given to them

They likely have to buy all that gear at a discounted rate. Thats how most prostaff contracts are built. Besides the izumis and linders of the world, its not much of a "deal" for most guys.

AlbertanGP
12-15-2020, 01:47 PM
They likely have to buy all that gear at a discounted rate. Thats how most prostaff contracts are built. Besides the izumis and linders of the world, its not much of a "deal" for most guys.

I'm not so sure about that. Years ago before I bought my Warrior, I very nearly completed a deal with U.S. pro walleye angler Jim Carroll to buy his sponsorship boat. This isn't the boat he ran in all the tournaments. Tracker and Mercury were his sponsors back then and he got an entire second boat to sell and keep the proceeds as well as the boat he fished that season...in fact I think he got three boats/motors in total, but two for sure. Jim's been ranked as high as #10 on the PWT, but he's hardly one of the "Izumis and Lindners of the world".

Full-time fishing is a losing proposition for most, and requires heavy subsidization to be remotely feasible for pretty much anyone.

AlbertanGP
12-15-2020, 02:04 PM
https://youtu.be/0-sFG-BEfxQ

We did it faster with a chainsaw and a spud bar back in the 80's. That was hard to watch, I'm not gonna lie.

Talking moose
12-15-2020, 02:06 PM
Lol half the people on Facebook fishing pages tag themselves as such and such “pro staff”. Kinda cute.

Jamie Black R/T
12-15-2020, 02:24 PM
I'm not so sure about that. Years ago before I bought my Warrior, I very nearly completed a deal with U.S. pro walleye angler Jim Carroll to buy his sponsorship boat. This isn't the boat he ran in all the tournaments. Tracker and Mercury were his sponsors back then and he got an entire second boat to sell and keep the proceeds as well as the boat he fished that season...in fact I think he got three boats/motors in total, but two for sure. Jim's been ranked as high as #10 on the PWT, but he's hardly one of the "Izumis and Lindners of the world".

Full-time fishing is a losing proposition for most, and requires heavy subsidization to be remotely feasible for pretty much anyone.

There is exceptions for sure.

the vast majority of "pros" get nothing more than a discount and a free hat.

Ive often wondered if Uncut Angling was pulled back for just that reason...want to suck the fun out of something, make it your job.

raw outdoors
12-15-2020, 02:37 PM
Same here.

Got all excited some new UA content...sadly mistaken.

What happened to Aaron he hardly posts anything these days. Real shame as his stuff is really good.

Pretty hard to bounce back after drowning all of his camera gear. Cant make videos without cameras.

35 whelen
12-15-2020, 02:42 PM
He's only been doing a couple videos a year since he got married pretty sure cameras aren't the issue

Jamie Black R/T
12-15-2020, 02:47 PM
Pretty hard to bounce back after drowning all of his camera gear. Cant make videos without cameras.

What 35 said.

His videos dropped way off years ago.

AlbertanGP
12-15-2020, 02:49 PM
He's only been doing a couple videos a year since he got married pretty sure cameras aren't the issue

He's cut back for awhile now...even before he got married. It was probably super fun when he was a kid, but then just became like work. Imagine if every time you wanted to go fishing you had to set up all that gear? No thanks. Especially if you don't live in northern Manitoba and have to actually move once in awhile. Imagine if Clayton and Aaron didn't fish the lakes they did. It would be one big fish every few videos like Jay to the south.

Jamie Black R/T
12-15-2020, 02:55 PM
he's cut back for awhile now...even before he got married. It was probably super fun when he was a kid, but then just became like work. Imagine if every time you wanted to go fishing you had to set up all that gear? No thanks. Especially if you don't live in northern manitoba and have to actually move once in awhile. Imagine if clayton and aaron didn't fish the lakes they did. It would be one big fish every few videos like jay to the south.

100%

35 whelen
12-15-2020, 02:55 PM
Exactly I was a fishing guide for 25 years and believe me it definitely became a job.

OL_JR
12-15-2020, 04:08 PM
I usually enjoy his videos, he must have some sort of good income or great merchandise deals from somewhere judging by the stuff he uses. I don't think it's coincidence though that a lot of the more popular channels these days seem to be made by guys who aren't supporting a family as well.

Fishing and Hunting just seem like crazy hard propositions to make any money at. I was listening to a podcast not to long ago that featured Bob Izumi and he mentioned that the glory days of shows like his are long gone. He used to have all sorts of staff to do stuff but now he has to do a lot of it himself.

And then you look at youtubers in fishing and hunting. To have let's say 10,000 subscribers is a big deal. Yet someone who makes cat videos or gaming videos can be in the millions and millions of subscribers easy. In the big picture outdoors stuff just isn't a big interest to most it seems.

AlbertanGP
12-15-2020, 04:51 PM
The top money earner on YouTube the past few years has been an 8 year old kid that reviews toys. I think he made $26M last year or something crazy. Go figure...