PDA

View Full Version : Fishing code of conduct being finalized for Haida Gwaii

IronNoggin
12-16-2020, 11:45 AM
The code was developed by a trilateral group consisting of the Council of the Haida Nation, the B.C. Ministry of Environment and Climate Change and Fisheries and Oceans Canada. The group is now seeking final review and feedback from SFAC members.

Included in the document are codes to “take only what you need,” avoid unnecessary harm to untargeted species, refrain from targeting the largest fish and ending catch-and-release practices.

“The Haida Nation does not support using catch-and-release to fish for entertainment,” the draft code reads. “To play with food is considered an unethical practice. This position follows thousands of years of practicing sustainable fishing as a way of life.”

https://www.interior-news.com/news/fishing-code-of-conduct-being-finalized-for-haida-gwaii/

IronNoggin
12-16-2020, 11:46 AM
Hyprocrisy Re-defined

Where does it end? The business of playing with our food is wearing thin. Have any of the Haida been to Witset on the Bulkley to witness the abuse steelhead (and sockeye and coho) are subjected to courtesy of their Wet’suwet’en neighbours whom we pay handsomely to conduct what is sold as stock assessment? Why aren’t the Haida recommending all those regulations pertaining to FN fisheries along the Fraser (i.e catch and release for gill net caught specimens of multiple endangered species) be replaced by closures? After all, the recreational fisheries are closed. Why is conservation applicable to one user group but not another?

When are we going to see the governments we elected stand up and represent all of us instead of conferring special status to a minority who don’t own public resources? Enough is enough!

http://steelheadvoices.com/?p=2300

bowness
12-24-2020, 07:52 PM
"Sustainable fishing as a way of life"...When there is only a very small population of humans in a huge environment its easy to play the "sustainable" game. Many communities simply extirpated their target species from one particular region, moved to others then returned to do it all over again. Had nothing to do with their "closeness to the land" and more to the fact there was so much land! Rape and pillage, leave it for a decade, come back and do it again. Well that technique cannot work now and somebody needs to tell them.

Stop catch and release due to some ridiculous premise that worked when there was 1 human per 20 000 square kms of land is not at all reasonable in present times. And by the way, I am living in the present. Is that not what any psychologist will tell you? Live in the present not the past for your mental well being?

They want to live in the past and reap the benefits of the present.

And the media and left wingers are pushing for them with little understanding of the inevitable exploitation that will occur.

That does not even touch the topic of how much hard work Canadians put into developing these fisheries...

Lobster, recreational access...They want it all. It is irrelevant if they have no history of fishing for a species, they just see an easy way to take others hard earned fishery and call us racists at the same time for not being very excited about the last minute race based deal.

And I have come to simply accept that this will only become a more racially based access to resources in our country. Wait until the Canadian government passes and adheres to the United Nations Rights of indigenous peoples (intentional lower case). Might as well hand them your cabin property and boat lol.

But as law abiding Canadians lets just sit back and accept our lot as the great great grandchildren of people who made this country capable of giving billions to non tax paying and seemingly endlessly subsidized peoples.

Some mod is going to flag me for being racist. Our government is racist. ie. The Indian Act. Do not define me by my beliefs if you do not make the same judgement on our government legislation.

I mean really "the Indian Act". Does anyone else see that big elephant?

bowness
12-24-2020, 08:19 PM
Most voters live in places like Toronto and get all their information pertaining to Indigenous peoples from the media.
It is really a no win situation.

Exhibit A: Trudeau got greater Toronto voters to vote for him in the last election due to his push for more gun control. Gun control that will do ABSOLUTELY nothing to curb gun violence in Canada. If they can be manipulated so easily on that front how on earth will we be able to convince them of our concerns?

Smoky buck
12-24-2020, 08:24 PM
BC is screwed NDP for another term and the NDP brought in UNDRIP policies. I don’t regret getting out of BC at all

Unfortunately Trudeau will likely adapt UNDRIP Canada wide soon too