PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon Reports

JBFranklin
12-16-2020, 06:14 PM
Just checking into how things are at Pigeon? Anyone catching anything? Was out last weekend and had no luck.

I've seen a few tents out there... just wondering if anyone is into whites yet?

I hope to have better results this Sunday when I head back.

JB

fish99
12-16-2020, 07:18 PM
was out today ice was from 11 - 16 inches the walleye were biting good , never seen a white or a pike. not sure where mister white is

JBFranklin
12-17-2020, 10:52 AM
was out today ice was from 11 - 16 inches the walleye were biting good , never seen a white or a pike. not sure where mister white is
I was hoping the Wallys were on. Thanks.

JBFranklin
12-17-2020, 10:53 AM

sorry one more thing... what area were you? Mulhurst by chance?

JBFranklin
12-17-2020, 11:09 AM
test message jb

fish99
12-18-2020, 04:47 PM
sorry one more thing... what area were you? Mulhurst by chance?

was middle of the lake ,
was back out the there this afternoon the bite was slow between 2 of us landed half a dozen and seen about a dozen walleye and one pike , over a foot of ice everywhere we drilled .

fish99
12-22-2020, 09:47 AM
was at silver beach yesterday afternoon only seen a burbot
went over to Sandholm and seen white fish

fish99
12-23-2020, 05:06 PM
16 inches of ice off Sandholm beach today

Talking moose
12-23-2020, 05:26 PM
16 inches of ice off Sandholm beach today

Any luck today?

RACKER
12-23-2020, 09:21 PM
Was out at Silver Beach today.Caught 18 thick walleye in 5hrs.10 fow and ice was 14-16 in.Had a great day out there and ran into another forum member.Besides the 2 of us there was only one group that didnt stay very long.

penguin
12-24-2020, 08:26 AM
I have been to silver beach 3 times lately (not yesterday though) and tried all depths from 5' to 21' and haven't seen a single fish yet. Nobody that I talked to saw a fish either, or so they said. The ice was thick everywhere that I drilled, averaging 13". I'm surprised nobody was driving on with vehicles yet although there was a bit of floodwater at the boat launch on Sunday.

fish99
12-24-2020, 09:14 AM
Any luck today?

seen one pike in about 6 feet of water

Talking moose
12-24-2020, 09:17 AM
seen one pike in about 6 feet of water

Brutal.
That lake stumps me.
In the summer it seems wherever I go and drop my jig and minnow down, I’m on fish , literally catch 100 a day in one spot.
In winter I’ve had days of seeing one or two fish.
Definitely more of a summer lake for me anyway.

fish99
12-24-2020, 09:44 AM
Brutal.
That lake stumps me.
In the summer it seems wherever I go and drop my jig and minnow down, I’m on fish , literally catch 100 a day in one spot.
In winter I’ve had days of seeing one or two fish.
Definitely more of a summer lake for me anyway.

I have not ice fished pigeon for years , until this year so I am going to figure it out by trying different places around the lake , going to try a mid lake gravel bar today ,
I have been looking for these big whites but only have seen one so far.
no one I have talked to on the ice has been doing well .

Talking moose
12-24-2020, 09:46 AM
I have not ice fished pigeon for years , until this year so I am going to figure it out by trying different places around the lake , going to try a mid lake gravel bar today ,
I have been looking for these big whites but only have seen one so far.
no one I have talked to on the ice has been doing well .

Fishing straight out from grand view on 2 outings I’ve seen zero walleye, zero pike, one burb and quite a few whites. Big ones with hump backs.

fish99
12-24-2020, 09:56 AM
Fishing straight out from grand view on 2 outings I’ve seen zero walleye, zero pike, one burb and quite a few whites. Big ones with hump backs.

we have fished Grandview 3 or 4 times this winter did ok for walleyes closer to the point .
drilled a lot of holes from 5 to 22 feet . to find the fish, one spot looked like zebra mussels on the bottom did not have the camera to see close up what they were but a real think mat of them .

fish99
12-24-2020, 04:04 PM
found some fishing gear at pigeon lake today if you lost some gear send me a pm as to what you lost and where , I would like for the owner to have it back, thanks

pikeman06
12-24-2020, 04:30 PM
Theres some xmas spirit. Atta boy. I hate losing gear.

fish99
12-29-2020, 08:03 PM
found some fishing gear at pigeon lake today if you lost some gear send me a pm as to what you lost and where , I would like for the owner to have it back, thanks

no takers

lromanchuk
12-30-2020, 06:04 PM
Any trucks out at grandview yet?

Talking moose
12-30-2020, 06:12 PM
Any trucks out at grandview yet?

Yup. A few half tons today. Ice was 17.5” over 25 feet of water.

Soiler
12-30-2020, 07:51 PM
Just a heads up, I’m starting to see more 1/2 tons driving on the ice. In most spots I’m seeing 14”-16” of ice but I was out deep this morning and found the thickness varied in a few spots.... it was only 8”-9”.... keep your heads up.
And to the guys ripping towards shore going 70-80km/hr in the pickup.... stay the hell away from anyone fishing. The ice is really cracked up in a lot of spots this year & looks worse than many previous years so far. It won’t take much of screwup to cost you $$$.

Talking moose
12-30-2020, 08:05 PM
Just a heads up, I’m starting to see more 1/2 tons driving on the ice. In most spots I’m seeing 14”-16” of ice but I was out deep this morning and found the thickness varied in a few spots.... it was only 8”-9”.... keep your heads up.
And to the guys ripping towards shore going 70-80km/hr in the pickup.... stay the hell away from anyone fishing. The ice is really cracked up in a lot of spots this year & looks worse than many previous years so far. It won’t take much of screwup to cost you $$$.

Where? Pigeon I presume?

RACKER
12-30-2020, 08:47 PM

Also where did you find 8-9? Has to be along shore I’m guessing. From Mulhurst to Silver beach and to Mameo its all 16 plus.

Gbuss
12-31-2020, 07:19 AM
Also where did you find 8-9? Has to be along shore I’m guessing. From Mulhurst to Silver beach and to Mameo its all 16 plus.

Maybe an old crack that is freezing up. :thinking-006:

Gbuss

WildCats
12-31-2020, 08:43 AM
The Grandview launch was also broke up pretty bad, big plate of ice was broke off and floating.

WC

Talking moose
12-31-2020, 08:47 AM
The Grandview launch was also broke up pretty bad, big plate of ice was broke off and floating.

WC

When? I left there at 4pm yesterday.

WildCats
12-31-2020, 08:53 AM
2 days ago, came off in the afternoon and the whole slab between shore and the main ice was floating. Pushed a lot of water to get off.

Talking moose
12-31-2020, 11:21 AM
2 days ago, came off in the afternoon and the whole slab between shore and the main ice was floating. Pushed a lot of water to get off.

Doesn’t surprise me. Some jack bum was flying towards shore doing about 70-80kmh yesterday. Probably a decent wave under the ice.....

35 whelen
12-31-2020, 12:52 PM
I'm just wondering if there's more stupid people out there nowadays, or if it's just cuz I'm getting older and smarter LOL, actually I think I remember doing that in my 20s

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

SNAPFisher
12-31-2020, 02:24 PM

I'm guessing out in the middle as per his post. I've also fished out there and it does vary. Found one spot 18 inches and found others wayyyyy less.

Soiler
12-31-2020, 04:07 PM

It was out in deep water but if I’ve seen a couple different spots like that ..... how much more of the lake has variable thickness?
It’s the worst looking ice in spots that I’ve seen in years (Broken, cracked and lots of little heaves) if we get any really ice growing weather I expect it will be interesting trying to get around the lake.
Not telling anyone what to do but I won’t be driving my 1/2 ton on anytime soon.
And if you choose to, please drive slowly. Be safe out there everyone.

RACKER
12-31-2020, 07:06 PM
It was out in deep water but if I’ve seen a couple different spots like that ..... how much more of the lake has variable thickness?
It’s the worst looking ice in spots that I’ve seen in years (Broken, cracked and lots of little heaves) if we get any really ice growing weather I expect it will be interesting trying to get around the lake.
Not telling anyone what to do but I won’t be driving my 1/2 ton on anytime soon.

I agree with the weird ice conditions. Usually there is one big heave out in the middle. This year I cross 2 heaves to get out to the middle from Mulhurst. I think the bad wind we had the one day really caused grief. Without snow cover I thought the ice would be in great shape. I’m getting tired of loading and unloading quad and sled every time but it gives ya piece of mind. I just wish I had the nerve to drive a 3/4 ton out first like some people. Other than ice the fishing has been good for me. Only weird thing is I haven’t even seen 1 pike.

Talking moose
12-31-2020, 07:45 PM
I agree with the weird ice conditions. Usually there is one big heave out in the middle. This year I cross 2 heaves to get out to the middle from Mulhurst. I think the bad wind we had the one day really caused grief. Without snow cover I thought the ice would be in great shape. I’m getting tired of loading and unloading quad and sled every time but it gives ya piece of mind. I just wish I had the nerve to drive a 3/4 ton out first like some people. Other than ice the fishing has been good for me. Only weird thing is I haven’t even seen 1 pike.

I’ve seen more pike (and caught) this year than the last few years combined. Lol

pikeman06
12-31-2020, 09:23 PM
Any big whites keepin your heart beating Moose? Not asking for anything but a confirmed sighting brutha. I can take it from there. Thanks.

Talking moose
01-01-2021, 03:38 AM
Any big whites keepin your heart beating Moose? Not asking for anything but a confirmed sighting brutha. I can take it from there. Thanks.

I’ve been to grandview 3 times this year. No whites seen the last time but the first 2 times I seen em. 5 total seen.
They all looked like this.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210101/df4f991ed09045e67fd6e9fe8680fd4b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNAPFisher
01-01-2021, 07:16 AM

This!

The ice is chipping out of the hole at some of the layers rather than fine shavings. Usually I do not see chippy ice until March. I real deep freeze should take care of it. Otherwise you can take a chance like a lot are doing - probably be fine...might not if you hit the wrong spot. I`m sticking with light travel - a pain loading and unloading but worth it.

penguin
01-01-2021, 09:10 AM
I will keep loading and unloading my snowmobile for now. Ice is 15" plus all around Mulhurst/Silver Beach where I have been but it is not clear blue - lots of white layers in it.
I found some walleye on the 27th, caught 7 but it took all day. They were all around 48cm long.
Haven't seen a pike or whitefish there yet this ice season. It's been really slow for me but at least i filled by class B tags.

sns2
01-01-2021, 09:55 AM
Went out to "my spot" for the afternoon/early evening. Found out it was no longer "my spot" lol.

Ice was 16" or so - until it wasn't.

When the bite started, I moved to a hole that a fellow vacated about 50 yards away from me (he was catching and I was not). The ice in that hole was maybe 9". He had his half ton and kids right there all day. It was tempting to drive on, but after seeing that, was glad I was on my snowmobile.

Talking moose
01-01-2021, 10:01 AM
Hammering eyes right now. Seen a big white 6 feet off bottom in 25’ of water.

Jigsalot
01-01-2021, 10:12 AM
Went out to "my spot" for the afternoon/early evening. Found out it was no longer "my spot" lol.

Ice was 16" or so - until it wasn't.

When the bite started, I moved to a hole that a fellow vacated about 50 yards away from me (he was catching and I was not). The ice in that hole was maybe 9". He had his half ton and kids right there all day. It was tempting to drive on, but after seeing that, was glad I was on my snowmobile.

Wow🥵. The guy driving on 9 inches of ice. Talk about getting lucky. Could easily go through

globetrekker
01-01-2021, 12:05 PM
got tags for walleye, live in calgary. long drive without carpooling

fishhawk1650
01-01-2021, 03:32 PM
I have to agree with Snapfisher and penguin on this one.....the way the ice chips out and the white ice streaks, I will continue light travel with ATV. I as well will not be taking my truck out any time soon no matter how much of a pain the loading and unloading is.

As for people driving on, please slow down when driving on ice. Let’s keep the waves under the ice to a minimum to avoid a blowout

Smoky buck
01-01-2021, 05:12 PM
I'm just wondering if there's more stupid people out there nowadays, or if it's just cuz I'm getting older and smarter LOL, actually I think I remember doing that in my 20s

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

My opinion is there is more stupid people into both fishing and hunting because a lot of them are winging it from info on forums, Facebook or YouTube vs hands on mentors

A good portion I really think just don’t know better

Soiler
01-01-2021, 05:28 PM
My opinion is there is more stupid people into both fishing and hunting because a lot of them are winging it from info on forums, Facebook or YouTube vs hands on mentors

A good portion I really think just don’t know better

Unfortunately this is true I think. And it will only get worse now that more vehicles are out there. Everyone will thinks it’s fine, the more tracks they see. The number of trucks that seem to think 70km/hr is a safe enough speed is unreal. Guys might think it’s ballzy but as I’ve gotten older, that’s not the word that I’d use for it.
I’ll stick to the quad to get around until we get a really good cold snap. Lots of fresh cracks seen again today as we rolled back to the shore.

fish99
01-01-2021, 07:01 PM
there were trucks out in the middle of the lake today .

RACKER
01-01-2021, 07:03 PM
Drove out to the point at Silver beach today later. There must have been 10 trucks out there. Ice was 17/18 wherever I drilled. Lots of people as well. All vehicles that left from 3 on drove properly and didn’t race out. I also drove out to birdcrap island and there was a truck that was 400 yds further west than that. Ice Was fairly quiet driving off. No idea on ice on west or Sandholm side. Be safe.

fish99
01-01-2021, 07:09 PM
Drove out to the point at Silver beach today later. There must have been 10 trucks out there. Ice was 17/18 wherever I drilled. Lots of people as well. All vehicles that left from 3 on drove properly and didn’t race out. I also drove out to birdcrap island and there was a truck that was 400 yds further west than that. Ice Was fairly quiet driving off. No idea on ice on west or Sandholm side. Be safe.

how was it off of silver beach , Sandholm was slow this afternoon .

Talking moose
01-01-2021, 07:26 PM
18” at grandview today. Lots of trucks out. Caught lots of walleye. Saw 23 whites today. Most I’ve ever seen in one day at pigeon.

Skoaltender
01-01-2021, 07:43 PM
18” at grandview today. Lots of trucks out. Caught lots of walleye. Saw 23 whites today. Most I’ve ever seen in one day at pigeon.

Facebook posts are showing a truck busted brought at grandview. Did you see this?

Talking moose
01-01-2021, 08:28 PM
Facebook posts are showing a truck busted brought at grandview. Did you see this?

Nope. But the shoreline where the trucks go on and off the ice broke up. About a 10x20 foot chunk. Had to drive around it.
Couple guys were putting up ribbon or cones so nobody would drive on it.

RACKER
01-01-2021, 09:06 PM

Sounds like you had a great day. I always like to see members Having success. You put in a lot of time fishing so good for you. Be safe and best of luck.

DOGFISH
01-02-2021, 08:02 AM
Nope. But the shoreline where the trucks go on and off the ice broke up. About a 10x20 foot chunk. Had to drive around it.
Couple guys were putting up ribbon or cones so nobody would drive on it.

Locals put up straw bales to mark the hole. It needs some time to freeze up. If you stay to the right of it going on to the lake it is fine.

fish99
01-03-2021, 07:34 PM
Locals put up straw bales to mark the hole. It needs some time to freeze up. If you stay to the right of it going on to the lake it is fine.

how much ground clearance do you need to over the hub , I was there this afternoon and could not make it over. is there any other close access to drive on at Grandview . thanks

Talking moose
01-03-2021, 07:37 PM
how much ground clearance do you need to over the hub , I was there this afternoon and could not make it over. is there any other close access to drive on at Grandview . thanks

Regular f150’s were making it over today. I had my quad today but watched some trucks go over it.

Glenn D
01-03-2021, 08:44 PM

Where you able to land any of those whites?

Talking moose
01-03-2021, 09:00 PM

Nope I was in the tent with a buddy walleye fishing with the camera down, I did have a jaw jacker 20 yards away with a couple wire worms on it. No dice though.
This was in 25’ of water, the whites were cruising what looked like about 8 feet off the bottom.
I always leave a jaw jacker out loaded with wire worms. No dice at pigeon though.
Thinking maybe at pigeon they need a little movement instead of dead sticking off a jaw jacker?

pikeman06
01-03-2021, 09:14 PM

Those suspended ones in pigeon are tough...at least for me anyways. They just seem to cruise around with a glazed look on their face. If you can find them in 10 or less f.o.w over a little structure like a gravel bed or around some weeds and rocks, they seem a little more interested in feeding or at least approaching your offering. I know some guys get them deep out on pigeon.

SNAPFisher
01-04-2021, 04:20 PM
Nope I was in the tent with a buddy walleye fishing with the camera down, I did have a jaw jacker 20 yards away with a couple wire worms on it. No dice though.
This was in 25’ of water, the whites were cruising what looked like about 8 feet off the bottom.
I always leave a jaw jacker out loaded with wire worms. No dice at pigeon though.
Thinking maybe at pigeon they need a little movement instead of dead sticking off a jaw jacker?

I don't know about the movement on a JJ. I bought the jigging base it has caught me zero whites at Pigeon to date. 2 years I have tried it now. Seems I get more looks when it is still on the JJ, but, I do have a rod in had with WWs which I do move when something has an interest. Now the jigging base stays at home. You only get so many chances on these tight lipped whites.

Talking moose
01-04-2021, 04:30 PM
I don't know about the movement on a JJ. I bought the jigging base it has caught me zero whites at Pigeon to date. 2 years I have tried it now. Seems I get more looks when it is still on the JJ, but, I do have a rod in had with WWs which I do move when something has an interest. Now the jigging base stays at home. You only get so many chances on these tight lipped whites.

I was thinking of a getting a jigging base just for pigeon whites. Guess I’ll buy beer instead.

SNAPFisher
01-04-2021, 06:16 PM
I was thinking of a getting a jigging base just for pigeon whites. Guess I’ll buy beer instead.

Good move! If you drink enough beer, the hooks may appear to move on their own anyways. :)

Soiler
01-04-2021, 06:41 PM

It’s pretty rare that the Pigeon Whites like any Hook movement.
Any of the bites I’ve had this year were dead still on the JJ.

Old Goat
01-05-2021, 02:13 PM
i have not ice fished Pigeon, before; and I do not see much mention of the north west section of the lake. does any one fish that area of the lake for walleye in winter?

wildfisher31
01-05-2021, 05:53 PM
Any one tried near where tide creek comes in, just wondering.
On the west side of the lake

fish99
01-05-2021, 07:02 PM
Any one tried near where tide creek comes in, just wondering.
On the west side of the lake

was over by tide creek yesterday no one fishing that I could see , there was some by sunset harbour

fish99
01-06-2021, 09:29 PM
seeing whitefish by Sandholm today 8 feet of water around dark.

Talking moose
01-15-2021, 02:20 PM
Trying new spot just east of grandview. Punched some holes at different depths. Not seeing anything at all. Sure is a lot of those walking sticks walking around on the bottom here.
What insect uses a hollow reed to walk around in?

cube
01-15-2021, 03:32 PM
Trying new spot just east of grandview. Punched some holes at different depths. Not seeing anything at all. Sure is a lot of those walking sticks walking around on the bottom here.

Could I ask, what is the depth and quality of the ice at Pigeon?

Thanks

Moosetalker
01-15-2021, 03:36 PM

Caddis fly larvae

RACKER
01-15-2021, 04:21 PM

Thanks

All the areas I’ve fished have had 16-20 in of good ice.

Talking moose
01-15-2021, 04:37 PM

Thanks

19” of good ice.

Talking moose
01-15-2021, 04:40 PM
Caddis fly larvae

That’s what I figured. Thanks.

Alberta Bigbore
01-15-2021, 05:13 PM
Pigeon good to drive on with a diesel? Or am i too heavy yet? Or should a guy bring his quad? Heard a truck went through at the P.P. due to a heave. Havent been out there yet but the kids want to get out

Talking moose
01-15-2021, 05:42 PM
Pigeon good to drive on with a diesel? Or am i too heavy yet? Or should a guy bring his quad? Heard a truck went through at the P.P. due to a heave. Havent been out there yet but the kids want to get out

Should be good. I wouldn’t cross any heaves or drive across the middle of the lake. It’s good ice. I’ve been going on with my 1/2 ton with quad in the box for a couple weeks.

Talking moose
01-15-2021, 05:44 PM
Although yesterday a guy drove straight across the middle of the lake with his half ton. I talked to him and he wasn’t to worried. Lol.

Soiler
01-21-2021, 08:29 PM
Had an Epic day today. The bite was on! Catching mainly 4-6 lbs fish but had 1 just a touch under 8lbs and even caught 1 that was only 12-13” long. Great to see the different age classes for this fishery. At least the Whitefish are doing well.

Talking moose
01-21-2021, 08:58 PM
Had an Epic day today. The bite was on! Catching mainly 4-6 lbs fish but had 1 just a touch under 8lbs and even caught 1 that was only 12-13” long. Great to see the different age classes for this fishery. At least the Whitefish are doing well.

Nice. You got em figured man.

fish99
01-21-2021, 09:10 PM
nice catch ,

RACKER
01-22-2021, 07:26 AM

That’s great to see ya having success. They are not easy to come by but you’re kicking butt. Good luck on your next outing.

SNAPFisher
01-23-2021, 06:45 AM

Epic alright! Congrats! This is the year hey :)

Interesting thing at the AEP sessions last week. They talked about the Pigeon of old and the small whites. They classified them as "skinny and starving" whites back then. As it became a better walleye fishery through stocking and the pike population was healthy...still a ways back, sound like that is when the whitefish started to change and to begin being thinned out - getting bigger.

Anyone I talk to about the old Pigeon seemed to think that was better and healthy to have the little whites. Easy to catch, etc. The bios say different. Too bad the audio is silenced as I would like to continue that discussion.

Today is a different place for sure. Hopefully it has hit that sweet spot now and we are seeing the golden years of whites there. It is a special lake for whites.

fish99
01-23-2021, 01:08 PM
my son sent me a few pictures from this morning ,his smaller one is over 2 lbs and the bigger one over 6 lbs. he has put in a lot of hours figureing it out getting skunked . looks like it is a balanced year classes like the biologist say it is . not skinny fish that's for sure , fast growing lots of food , thus hard to catch

Soiler
01-23-2021, 02:19 PM

Interesting thing at the AEP sessions last week. They talked about the Pigeon of old and the small whites. They classified them as "skinny and starving" whites back then. As it became a better walleye fishery through stocking and the pike population was healthy...still a ways back, sound like that is when the whitefish started to change and to begin being thinned out - getting bigger.

Anyone I talk to about the old Pigeon seemed to think that was better and healthy to have the little whites. Easy to catch, etc. The bios say different. Too bad the audio is silenced as I would like to continue that discussion.

Today is a different place for sure. Hopefully it has hit that sweet spot now and we are seeing the golden years of whites there. It is a special lake for whites.

Yup, catching some tanks at just over 8lbs, average is between 4-6.5 lbs and some that are only 12-13” long ... great to see the different age classes again.

338Bluff
01-23-2021, 03:23 PM
Anyone driving on at the old Mameo boat launch or is it all heaved up? Wanted to cut a few miles off my trip in the morning.

fish99
01-25-2021, 08:58 PM
finally landed a pig of a white fish could hardly get him out of a 8 inch hole . need a bigger auger . hands were frozen by the time i got him the hole , great fighters . i am now addicted .

338Bluff
01-25-2021, 09:35 PM
Anyone driving on at the old Mameo boat launch or is it all heaved up? Wanted to cut a few miles off my trip in the morning.

Well I can answer my own question. Mameo was drifted in pretty good. Grandview access is pretty easy. Headed a good mile out and found 20-23" of good hard ice everywhere I checked.
I didn't see or mark a single fish. Did not try for walleye. Typical pigeon. Hate this lake somedays lol.

JBFranklin
01-26-2021, 08:04 AM
finally landed a pig of a white fish could hardly get him out of a 8 inch hole . need a bigger auger . hands were frozen by the time i got him the hole , great fighters . i am now addicted .

Well done! They're there.

Soiler
01-26-2021, 08:13 AM

Congrats... they’re a tough fish to figure out for that lake. But they get big and they’re worth it the effort. We reeled in an 8lbs 11oz tank on Sunday.

SNAPFisher
01-26-2021, 12:00 PM
Congrats... they’re a tough fish to figure out for that lake. But they get big and they’re worth it the effort. We reeled in an 8lbs 11oz tank on Sunday.

Dam! You tied my biggest. 8.7 lbs or 8 lbs 11 oz. That is a big white :)

fish99
01-26-2021, 01:49 PM

that's a huge fish, how big of a hole do you use .

Soiler
01-26-2021, 06:22 PM
that's a huge fish, how big of a hole do you use .

10” hole. It’s bigger but at the same time, the smaller fish can get turned around in it on you if you pop the hook or line. But I like to see more, down the bigger hole.

fish99
01-26-2021, 08:06 PM
10” hole. It’s bigger but at the same time, the smaller fish can get turned around in it on you if you pop the hook or line. But I like to see more, down the bigger hole.

thanks, that 8 lb 11 oz fill the 10 hole? , ,do you look down the hole all the time.

Soiler
01-26-2021, 10:41 PM
thanks, that 8 lb 11 oz fill the 10 hole? , ,do you look down the hole all the time.

No, not all the time but when I do, I prefer the 10” window over the 8”. I had a 10” jiffy since the late 90’s... and couldn’t go to a smaller hole when I picked up an electric last season.

fish99
01-27-2021, 08:47 AM
No, not all the time but when I do, I prefer the 10” window over the 8”. I had a 10” jiffy since the late 90’s... and couldn’t go to a smaller hole when I picked up an electric last season.

which electric did you buy we are going to look at them . does it perform as well as the jiffy.

SNAPFisher
01-27-2021, 04:53 PM
As far as I'm concerned, SM40V just kicked a gas Jiffy down many, many notches. :)

338Bluff
01-27-2021, 06:30 PM
As far as I'm concerned, SM40V just kicked a gas Jiffy down many, many notches. :)

Same but different. ION. Gas no more......

I can't even sell the z71 eskimo. Might have to give it away.

Soiler
01-28-2021, 04:11 PM
I went with the Strikemaster 40V.... extremely happy with it so far.

fish99
01-28-2021, 08:40 PM
thanks guys , now just to find an electric auger, every where i called they are sold out .

338Bluff
01-28-2021, 08:56 PM
thanks guys , now just to find an electric auger, every where i called they are sold out .

If you're looking for a 10" Ion try Big Game Source for Sports in Stettler. They were stocked up pretty good last time I was there.

Etaps
01-29-2021, 06:00 PM
Looking at going to pigeon this weekend and interested in going after some burbot. Any tips?

Talking moose
01-29-2021, 06:11 PM
Looking at going to pigeon this weekend and interested in going after some burbot. Any tips?

I’d be surprised if you got one. They are there. Get one every now and then. You fishing into the night by chance?

Etaps
01-29-2021, 06:23 PM
I’d be surprised if you got one. They are there. Get one every now and then. You fishing into the night by chance?

I plan on staying till late around 10.

Talking moose
01-29-2021, 06:29 PM
I plan on staying till late around 10.

Good luck. Hopefully someone else can chime in and point you in the right direction.....I’ve never night fished pigeon. Maybe that’s when they come out to play......

walleye guy
01-29-2021, 06:51 PM

Good luck !
Keep in mind burbot closes on Pigeon Feb 1

fish99
01-29-2021, 07:23 PM
only caught 2 burbots this ice season one at silver beach and one off sandholm beach both in 12 feet of water . good luck , i have not seen any others this year,

Etaps
01-29-2021, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the help. I’ll see what I can do. I’ll be there all day fishing deep bouncing mud

lromanchuk
01-30-2021, 07:06 PM
Walleye bite was better today. Hope that trend continues.

Snap Shot
01-30-2021, 07:27 PM

I don’t remember these little whites at all. I have fished pigeon for 30years and pulled nets there for a few years a lot of years ago. And they where never small skinny whites. My brother caught a 9lb’er there 20yrs ago. 10 whites would over flow a 5gallon pail and you need two hands on it. That’s the years we used to throw boards onto the ice fishing into April.

SNAPFisher
01-31-2021, 02:25 PM
I don’t remember these little whites at all. I have fished pigeon for 30years and pulled nets there for a few years a lot of years ago. And they where never small skinny whites. My brother caught a 9lb’er there 20yrs ago. 10 whites would over flow a 5gallon pail and you need two hands on it. That’s the years we used to throw boards onto the ice fishing into April.

I never fished it back then but have heard this more than a few times and on this forum as well.

I like that it is now :)

And, if you want to hear the Bio talk about it....I think it was the Monday session...I think. They were all recorded.

fish99
01-31-2021, 04:45 PM
I never fished it back then but have heard this more than a few times and on this forum as well.

I like that it is now :)

And, if you want to hear the Bio talk about it....I think it was the Monday session...I think. They were all recorded.

i was on line listening to the bio talk he did say years ago when the lake had commercial neting that the whites were small. i remember fishing back then and catching lots of 1 to 3 lb whites , most were just over a lb .
the wife won a quad at the fishing derby they used to have every feb , she caught a 1.14 lb white fish that i think was in 2003 .
never heard of a white over 3 lbs back then .

SNAPFisher
01-31-2021, 04:50 PM
i was on line listening to the bio talk he did say years ago when the lake had commercial neting that the whites were small. i remember fishing back then and catching lots of 1 to 3 lb whites , most were just over a lb .
the wife won a quad at the fishing derby they used to have every feb , she caught a 1.14 lb white fish that i think was in 2003 .

Wow, times have changed! Thanks for the look back. Very interesting for sure.

338Bluff
01-31-2021, 06:45 PM

Same experience. I've fished it since the early eighties. They averaged 2 lbs back then. Nobody I fished with had even heard about a wire worm. Wetaskiwins, Russia hooks, wedding bells and swedish jigs were most common.

I have no doubt that the netters my have caught a few bigger fish. There were a lot them

cube
02-01-2021, 12:31 PM

How did you make out on the Burbot?

A couple of years a go while fishing burbot I kept catching walleye full of small burbot. I have since only caught one burbot in Pigeon so think they are fewer and far between now.

RACKER
02-01-2021, 09:49 PM
I fish the middle on the east side of the heave and see alot of people fishing on the west side of the heave south of Sandholm.I have not seen any reports of anyone catching whites except Soiler and Fish 99.Im assuming thats what everyone out there is looking for but suprised not to hear more feedback on how they are doing.It is not a secret to whats out there but im just curious if anyone is having luck or just catching walleyes.Ice is 24 where im at so extensions will be needed soon.Good luck to everyone and i will keep trying to land a 60cm walleye.

doublehaul
02-02-2021, 09:03 AM
I caught one whitefish on Saturday , my first at Pigeon.
I’ve gone out 4 times previously to get skunked.
A beauty 23” at 28’ of water, fish was at 15’
I think it was a bit of a fluke that I caught it.
My fish finder helped some to be ready for it.
It put up a great fight at that size.

Curtsyneil
02-02-2021, 06:09 PM
The people you see fishing by the heave south of sandholm are definatly fishing the basin for whites. It’s 30fow and myself have had success out there fishing whites.

RACKER
02-02-2021, 07:18 PM
The people you see fishing by the heave south of sandholm are definatly fishing the basin for whites. It’s 30fow and myself have had success out there fishing whites.

Good to know. Hope everyone has fun trying to land one of those big whites. Snapfisher used to have the lake to himself catching them now I’m sure he has trouble finding a quiet spot. Good luck to all and dress warm.

fish99
02-02-2021, 07:41 PM

we have caught a few whites in that same area

fish99
02-02-2021, 07:42 PM
the burbs should be stacking up for the spawn soon.

Curtsyneil
02-02-2021, 11:36 PM
I’m sure you can go anywhere in the basin and catch whites. Yes there trophy fish no doubt about it but there not tight lipped just gotta find them.

Moosetalker
02-03-2021, 11:53 AM
C&R only for Burbs in Pigeon after Feb 1

AltaBorn
02-03-2021, 12:49 PM
How thick is the ice now? Must be Approaching 25”+ after this cold snap?

SNAPFisher
02-03-2021, 05:56 PM
Good to know. Hope everyone has fun trying to land one of those big whites. Snapfisher used to have the lake to himself catching them now I’m sure he has trouble finding a quiet spot. Good luck to all and dress warm.

Actually Soiler was one of the first to do this extensively. If we go back in posts you will find the one where he was seeing them out deep but could not get them to bite. I was still shallow and complaining that I wasn't seeing many at all. I moved out deeper and life was good! :)
..eventually. Took a few trips to get it figured out.

Soiler
02-04-2021, 05:38 AM
Actually Soiler was one of the first to do this extensively. If we go back in posts you will find the one where he was seeing them out deep but could not get them to bite. I was still shallow and complaining that I wasn't seeing many at all. I moved out deeper and life was good! :)
..eventually. Took a few trips to get it figured out.

I do remember having the deeper water off of Sandholm all to myself for a long time, years ago. But no spot stays secret for long.
It is nice & quiet while it lasts tho. Haha.

SNAPFisher
02-04-2021, 10:46 PM
I do remember having the deeper water off of Sandholm all to myself for a long time, years ago. But no spot stays secret for long.
It is nice & quiet while it lasts tho. Haha.

Here you go:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=279048

It was neat to read the original post. Actually wasn't that hard to find the post surprisingly. Just 5 short years ago and now look at us...
Still swearing at whites! :wave:

Penner
02-05-2021, 07:15 AM
Here you go:

It was neat to read the original post. Actually wasn't that hard to find the post surprisingly. Just 5 short years ago and now look at us...

Lol nothing more challenging than catching Pigeon Lake whites but so rewarding when you catch one. Poor mans Tarpon for sure. Snap you and Soiler certainly seem to have the deep water whites pattern’d. Nice work boys.

Soiler
02-05-2021, 02:38 PM
170763Here you go:

Wow, Hard to believe it’s only been 5 years. Haha
But the persistence has paid off. It’s been an epic season so far.

Snap, I only swear at them a couple times each time I’m out now. Haha

fish99
02-05-2021, 04:11 PM

great catch , what was the weight of the bottom one in the picture , it looks huge

Soiler
02-05-2021, 05:28 PM
great catch , what was the weight of the bottom one in the picture , it looks huge

That one was 7 lbs 14 oz.
We got a couple that were a touch over 8.5 lbs two weeks ago. There’s some absolute tanks lurking out there. One was 8lbs 11oz...

doublehaul
02-05-2021, 05:30 PM
Do you measure the length?
Mine was 23”
I’m wondering what the weight would have been

fish99
02-05-2021, 05:56 PM
That one was 7 lbs 14 oz.
We got a couple that were a touch over 8.5 lbs two weeks ago. There’s some absolute tanks lurking out there. One was 8lbs 11oz...

man those are huge , the biggest we have landed was 7 lbs , my son had a double header the other day both jaw jackers went off at the same time.
longest was 28 inches of the ones we measured

RACKER
02-05-2021, 06:24 PM
Are you guys sight fishing or using cameras to find the whites? Or are you relying on sonar to mark the fish. I’ve never tried to target them in any of my outings but see them move through way on the top of the screen while fishing for walleye. But maybe I need to try for them at least once this season. Good luck to all that are trying for them.

Soiler
02-05-2021, 07:26 PM
Are you guys sight fishing or using cameras to find the whites? Or are you relying on sonar to mark the fish. I’ve never tried to target them in any of my outings but see them move through way on the top of the screen while fishing for walleye. But maybe I need to try for them at least once this season. Good luck to all that are trying for them.

Flasher’s are the easiest way to find/target them.

SNAPFisher
02-07-2021, 08:10 AM

Good for you man! Yes, it really has been a great year. Especially compared to last year - that was the toughest one yet.

It is a truly incredible whitefish fishery. Cheers!

fish99
02-16-2021, 07:17 PM
any reports on snow drifts and driving conditions

Talking moose
02-16-2021, 07:21 PM
any reports on snow drifts and driving conditions

Was out around grandview today. Some drifting. Nothing my half ton with duratrac tires couldn’t plow through. If you don’t have decent tires you better pick your path and avoid the bigger drifts.

fish99
02-16-2021, 08:03 PM
Was out around grandview today. Some drifting. Nothing my half ton with duratrac tires couldn’t plow through. If you don’t have decent tires you better pick your path and avoid the bigger drifts.

thanks

horpensky
02-16-2021, 08:42 PM
Drove out from Sandholm today in an SUV. A couple of deeper drifts, but nothing too bad. Trucks or anything with 4x4 should be fine.

fish99
02-16-2021, 08:50 PM
Drove out from Sandholm today in an SUV. A couple of deeper drifts, but nothing too bad. Trucks or anything with 4x4 should be fine.

how was the fishing Wirth going in this cold temp .

horpensky
02-16-2021, 09:43 PM
Super slow at first. Not too many people out and most around us cleared out mid-afternoon (maybe they limited out? but we marked 1 fish all afternoon that looked at the bait for a minute and then wandered off, so I would think otherwise). Walleye bite finally picked up at dusk, and it was pretty decent and aggressive while it lasted.

Curtsyneil
02-16-2021, 09:59 PM
Was out on Saturday and had no issues driving on lake. Drifts were so hard basically could drive on top of them without breaking through. 24 inches of ice Extenions u shouldn’t need. Fishing was great marked a tonne of fish and iced a few also. I would assume with the warm weather coming and the berometer dipping the bite should get really good. Tight lines everybody🎣

fish99
02-16-2021, 10:00 PM
Super slow at first. Not too many people out and most around us cleared out mid-afternoon (maybe they limited out? but we marked 1 fish all afternoon that looked at the bait for a minute and then wandered off, so I would think otherwise). Walleye bite finally picked up at dusk, and it was pretty decent and aggressive while it lasted.

thanks my try for whites instead , seeing walleyes are slow. cheers

fish99
02-18-2021, 09:37 PM
anyone seeing any burbots

RACKER
02-18-2021, 10:59 PM
anyone seeing any burbots

Caught a big one out in my usual spot in the middle last Monday . It was 76 cm. I’m guessing 10 lbs. At least big by my standards. Those buggers are strong.

Nikanit
02-19-2021, 10:36 AM
Would it be safe to drive on with a small car anyone?

Talking moose
02-19-2021, 10:59 AM
Would it be safe to drive on with a small car anyone?

Definitely. There’s over 24” of ice. Good ice too. But you might get stuck in a drift.

Nikanit
02-19-2021, 11:02 AM
Definitely. There’s over 24” of ice. Good ice too. But you might get stuck in a drift.
Thanks TM! We have a little Ford Focus with studded tires

Talking moose
02-19-2021, 11:06 AM
Thanks TM! We have a little Ford Focus with studded tires

Pick your route carefully, pretty low car, bring a shovel just in case. Good luck!

Soiler
02-19-2021, 04:27 PM
thanks my try for whites instead , seeing walleyes are slow. cheers

The Walleye bite is always good right before and through sundown. 😉

338Bluff
02-19-2021, 07:28 PM
Pick your route carefully, pretty low car, bring a shovel just in case. Good luck!

Probably ride right over the top in that little golf cart.

1Heavyhitr
02-20-2021, 10:54 AM
Is there an ice heave off of Sandholm? Just wondering if you can go from Mulhurst around the point towards golden days? Always seems to heave there..

fish99
02-20-2021, 01:30 PM
Is there an ice heave off of Sandholm? Just wondering if you can go from Mulhurst around the point towards golden days? Always seems to heave there..

yes there is heave and yes you can drive across it , as many are doing closer to shore

fish99
02-21-2021, 04:54 PM
how is the lake access at Grandview

Talking moose
02-21-2021, 05:30 PM
how is the lake access at Grandview

Was good 4 days ago.

1Heavyhitr
02-21-2021, 08:08 PM
I’m getting my arse handed to me :budo:. Been all over the bay in Mulhurst, fished where the zoo was just past Silver beach before it was a zoo, out deep around Sandholm, the only fish I’ve SEEN and put on the ice is one class B Walleye. Marked em deeper today but whatever it was had no interest in everything I could throw at them between wire worms, spoons, rip raps, jigs - chambered with Minnows, maggots, or mealworms. Please tell me you had a slow day the last couple of days too lol 🥴🍻. I’m sure noticing a lack of vegetation on the bottom this year.

fish99
02-21-2021, 08:19 PM
Was good 4 days ago.

thanks moose.
fishing has been slow at pigeon for us the fish this week was walleye and not many . best was at sunset .

RACKER
02-21-2021, 09:54 PM
I’m getting my arse handed to me :budo:. Been all over the bay in Mulhurst, fished where the zoo was just past Silver beach before it was a zoo, out deep around Sandholm, the only fish I’ve SEEN and put on the ice is one class B Walleye. Marked em deeper today but whatever it was had no interest in everything I could throw at them between wire worms, spoons, rip raps, jigs - chambered with Minnows, maggots, or mealworms. Please tell me you had a slow day the last couple of days too lol 🥴🍻. I’m sure noticing a lack of vegetation on the bottom this year.

Today was the worst day I’ve had fishing for walleye this year. On Saturday I seen a lot of fish moving but only caught 7. Today was set up for 5 hrs and I didn’t see 1 fish. The fishing calendar said a poor day but that was an understatement. What I would like to know where all the fish go that normally move thru the area. It’s weird that everyone all across the lake has the same luck/ sightings.

penguin
02-22-2021, 10:12 AM
I fished for 8hrs each day this weekend out of Mulhurst and didn’t get a bite. Only saw 2 fish on my sonar. I was moving around and didn’t see any other parties display a fish or get excited. Hopefully was better for others. The coffee and peace and quiet made the days good anyway.

Stinky Buffalo
02-22-2021, 11:32 AM
I fished for 8hrs each day this weekend out of Mulhurst and didn’t get a bite. Only saw 2 fish on my sonar. I was moving around and didn’t see any other parties display a fish or get excited. Hopefully was better for others. The coffee and peace and quiet made the days good anyway.

Not Pigeon, but we were at Wabamun yesterday, was extremely slow as well. We moved around a bit, and only saw one small bored-looking walleye perusing my jig before swimming off...

Sigmet
02-22-2021, 12:17 PM
We were skunked on Saturday, didn't see anyone catch one. Near Grandview.

Venator
02-22-2021, 12:27 PM
Tried Grandview Saturday a.m., saw 1 walleye between 2 of us. Moved to Sandholm for late afternoon/sunset, saw nothing. Went out again yesterday to Sandholm, same result - didn't see anything.
Talked to the RCMP on the ice making his rounds yesterday, said he had only heard of 6 fish being caught in his travels - that was around 3:00.

Red Bullets
02-22-2021, 05:56 PM
I would bet the reason a person isn't seeing many whites is because they are probably staying close to spawning burbot so they can suck up the burbot eggs. Can't remember who but a couple years ago someone posted a video of he took, of a big gang of whitefish following a spawning burbot over a sandy bottom.

Burbot eggs are copper colored so try copper.

This time of year Birdpoop island is one place where lingcod like to spawn. Late Feb and March was always good around the island. But I'm not telling where the island is on Pigeon. Some will know where I mean.

wellsite
02-22-2021, 07:01 PM
Drove on at Mulhurst, drove straight West. Was set up by 2:00pm in 20ft. Saw 5 walleye, 1 Burbot on camera.....zero bites. Off at 6:00

Soiler
02-23-2021, 10:40 PM
I would bet the reason a person isn't seeing many whites is because they are probably staying close to spawning burbot so they can suck up the burbot eggs. Can't remember who but a couple years ago someone posted a video of he took, of a big gang of whitefish following a spawning burbot over a sandy bottom.

Burbot eggs are copper colored so try copper.

This time of year Birdpoop island is one place where lingcod like to spawn. Late Feb and March was always good around the island. But I'm not telling where the island is on Pigeon. Some will know where I mean.

All depends on where you set up for the whites on Pigeon. The morning bite lately has slowed compared to the beginning of the month but it’s still been pretty decent.
As for the Burbot spawn, I remember hearing from the old boys back when I was a kid on how when they caught a Ling, they’d “shotgun” the hole by squirting the Ling eggs into the hole and go back the next day and slam the Whites. But some of those old boys did tell quite a few stories. Lol

fish99
02-24-2021, 07:19 PM
any reports on how the fishing and access is.
hope to get out tomorrow

lromanchuk
02-24-2021, 08:28 PM
Fishing was junk today for walleye. Access was good.

fish99
02-24-2021, 09:41 PM
Fishing was junk today for walleye. Access was good.

thanks

7magtime
02-25-2021, 09:00 AM
Not Pigeon, but we were at Wabamun yesterday, was extremely slow as well. We moved around a bit, and only saw one small bored-looking walleye perusing my jig before swimming off...

We hit Wabamun this past Saturday as well and it was dead. Sounds like it was slow this past weekend on many lakes....

RACKER
02-25-2021, 09:59 AM
We hit Wabamun this past Saturday as well and it was dead. Sounds like it was slow this past weekend on many lakes....

According to the fishing calendar last week and the start of this week are poor fishing days. Come the weekend it will be good.

Strikemaster
02-25-2021, 09:31 PM
Had anyone ever tried flies i.e.a scud or caddis fly larvae for the Whites?

fish99
02-25-2021, 10:00 PM
Had anyone ever tried flies i.e.a scud or caddis fly larvae for the Whites?

i would try the scuds the lake is full of them and water boatmen.

Gbuss
02-26-2021, 06:29 AM

I was at wabamum sunday and managed 6 walleyes all day from 730 am till dark.

Gbuss

SNAPFisher
02-27-2021, 08:28 AM
All depends on where you set up for the whites on Pigeon. The morning bite lately has slowed compared to the beginning of the month but it’s still been pretty decent.

Amen!
Other than had an amazing morning bite on the weekend. Done by 8:15 a.m. :)

fish99
02-27-2021, 09:36 AM
Amen!
Other than had an amazing morning bite on the weekend. Done by 8:15 a.m. :)

is that for whitefish or walleye

SNAPFisher
02-27-2021, 04:06 PM
is that for whitefish or walleye

Whites

fish99
02-27-2021, 05:54 PM
Whites

thanks going to need to get out earlier

horpensky
03-01-2021, 12:26 AM
Quick late afternoon/sunset fishing trip off Sandholm today ~14-18 FOW. 1 mark in the first hour, then at least a dozen marks between 5 and 6, then all quiet by 6:30. Lots and lots of looking and window shopping, but only managed to grind out 2 bites. No takers on the deadsticks.

Fish are there and rolling in at sunset, but it remains a tough bite.

italk2u
03-01-2021, 07:40 AM
Heading to pigeon for whites this morning. Never tried it before. No secret places asked, just a general idea around mulhurst. Left or right of the launch. TIA.

ab_hunter
03-01-2021, 10:15 AM
Heading to pigeon for whites this morning. Never tried it before. No secret places asked, just a general idea around mulhurst. Left or right of the launch. TIA.

You could try but you are already too late, the bite is over by 10:30am.

italk2u
03-01-2021, 12:07 PM
You could try but you are already too late, the bite is over by 10:30am.

Thanks.

Curtsyneil
03-01-2021, 07:04 PM
The whites in pigeon aren’t on any special bite schedule. Earlier in the season yes you want to really focus on the mornings but as the days get longer and March is here you can catch them at any time of day if your fishing them deep. It all depends when the school role through your area. Tight lines everybody.

italk2u
03-01-2021, 08:04 PM
The whites in pigeon aren’t on any special bite schedule. Earlier in the season yes you want to really focus on the mornings but as the days get longer and March is here you can catch them at any time of day if your fishing them deep. It all depends when the school role through your area. Tight lines everybody.
I'm assuming i was in the wrong spot then...saw nothing all day. I was about 500 yards south of the mullhurst launch. >\Lots of vehicles further souh off the point though.

RACKER
03-01-2021, 08:36 PM
I'm assuming i was in the wrong spot then...saw nothing all day. I was about 500 yards south of the mullhurst launch. >\Lots of vehicles further souh off the point though.

I feel bad for ya. There’s a lot of people out fishing for whites yet nobody wants to give ya any useful advice. I only fish for walleye but I’m guessing if you drove on at Sandholm and headed south and fished areas around where all people are set up that would be a starting point. Lots of threads on what people are using for hooks and set ups. Check out the Sylvan whitefish thread as that has a lot of great info on it. I understand people don’t want to give out their good locations but even if they showed you exactly where to fish doesn’t mean you will catch anything. Hope ya have better luck on your next outing.

italk2u
03-01-2021, 09:30 PM
I feel bad for ya. There’s a lot of people out fishing for whites yet nobody wants to give ya any useful advice. I only fish for walleye but I’m guessing if you drove on at Sandholm and headed south and fished areas around where all people are set up that would be a starting point. Lots of threads on what people are using for hooks and set ups. Check out the Sylvan whitefish thread as that has a lot of great info on it. I understand people don’t want to give out their good locations but even if they showed you exactly where to fish doesn’t mean you will catch anything. Hope ya have better luck on your next outing.
Much appreciated racker. I don't normally do whites, but I recently learned that my wife of 30 years absolutely loves whitefish. Go figger lol

Soiler
03-02-2021, 02:18 PM

Very true, but the early morning by far is the best time to go for them.

coyotekiller
03-04-2021, 09:57 AM
Anyone been to pigeon lately? Just wondering how the access is at different places to the lake and where has been the best place to go? Looking to fill some walleye tags and try to catch my first whitefish

fish99
03-04-2021, 11:03 PM
Anyone been to pigeon lately? Just wondering how the access is at different places to the lake and where has been the best place to go? Looking to fill some walleye tags and try to catch my first whitefish

access is good . walleye at Grandview , pp, silver beach .
whites out deep .
not sure if anyone is catching burbots

coyotekiller
03-05-2021, 02:04 PM
access is good . walleye at Grandview , pp, silver beach .
whites out deep .
not sure if anyone is catching burbots

Thank you for the reply :) good to hear access is good

RACKER
03-05-2021, 11:46 PM
Man I haven’t seen the walleye bite this bad in a long time. Spent 12 hrs today near the island and only managed 4. Since it was so nice out decided to stay real late and take advantage of the late night bite-not even a mark on the flasher from 5-11 pm. I’ve fished 5 different areas of the lake in the last 3 weeks and have had little success in all the spots. Fished in 6-23 fow. Here’s hoping others have had better results in the last while.

petersontyler8
03-06-2021, 12:31 AM
Was out between 8-12 I’m my shack this evening didn’t even mark one fish so I hear your pain!

The Stead Man
03-06-2021, 07:35 AM
How is the ice? Thinking of going out on Sunday to fill my Class A’s... wondering how the lake is holding up with the warm weather this week

RACKER
03-06-2021, 09:04 AM
How is the ice? Thinking of going out on Sunday to fill my Class A’s... wondering how the lake is holding up with the warm weather this week

zero issues with the ice.might be a little water at the points of entry onto the ice.30 inches everywhere.

The Stead Man
03-06-2021, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the update. Sounds like I should be OK to take the pickup out there still

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coyotekiller
03-07-2021, 03:56 PM
Went to pigeon yesterday, fished out at Grandview and at the provincial park, didn’t see any fish or have any bites at both places. Access was good at crystal springs and the provincial park access wasn’t to bad, looked to be a decent amount of people out fishing but not many were catching. Still lots of ice on the lake but didn’t need a extension. RCMP were out to yesterday going from tent to tent doing checks. Still was a good day on the ice.

OL_JR
03-07-2021, 10:43 PM
Went to pigeon yesterday, fished out at Grandview and at the provincial park, didn’t see any fish or have any bites at both places. Access was good at crystal springs and the provincial park access wasn’t to bad, looked to be a decent amount of people out fishing but not many were catching. Still lots of ice on the lake but didn’t need a extension. RCMP were out to yesterday going from tent to tent doing checks. Still was a good day on the ice.

We were out at Grandview yesterday as well, drug the frame of my truck across the heave at shore. Some kind fellow with a chainsaw made the access a little more passable but you still might bottom out on it.

I wouldn't say the fishing was lights out but we managed to fill 5 class B tags. Pretty happy with that as one day is likely all we will be spending on Pigeon this year and RCMP mentioned that they weren't running in to many catching so feeling lucky.

Rattle baits and jaw jackers set with smaller p.k. flutter fish and a minnow hooked in the middle squeeked out a few for us. All fish came in 20-22'.

coyotekiller
03-08-2021, 10:10 AM
We were out at Grandview yesterday as well, drug the frame of my truck across the heave at shore. Some kind fellow with a chainsaw made the access a little more passable but you still might bottom out on it.

I wouldn't say the fishing was lights out but we managed to fill 5 class B tags. Pretty happy with that as one day is likely all we will be spending on Pigeon this year and RCMP mentioned that they weren't running in to many catching so feeling lucky.

Rattle baits and jaw jackers set with smaller p.k. flutter fish and a minnow hooked in the middle squeeked out a few for us. All fish came in 20-22'.
Yes that access looked a bit high so we accessed at crystal springs and it was better. Good to know they were biting on that. Congrats on filling your tags 👍

AltaBorn
03-11-2021, 12:46 PM
Any change in the ice thickness yet?

RACKER
03-11-2021, 03:42 PM
Any change in the ice thickness yet?

Had some colder nights this week. I can’t see it changing from last week. 30-32 where I was. Might get some water on ice at access points Friday. Fishing should be better this weekend.

fish99
03-11-2021, 09:50 PM
Had some colder nights this week. I can’t see it changing from last week. 30-32 where I was. Might get some water on ice at access points Friday. Fishing should be better this weekend.

were you out today , how was access

RACKER
03-13-2021, 11:57 PM
Had a great day today catching walleye.Finally i had the fish biting.Caught 9 in about 5 hrs.I was suprised that i didnt see alot more people out and about with the warm weather.Came back from the middle of the lake to Mulhurst Bay at 5 and there was only one person there.Hope others had as much luck as i did.

fish99
03-14-2021, 09:17 AM
Had a great day today catching walleye.Finally i had the fish biting.Caught 9 in about 5 hrs.I was suprised that i didnt see alot more people out and about with the warm weather.Came back from the middle of the lake to Mulhurst Bay at 5 and there was only one person there.Hope others had as much luck as i did.

was out at Grandview yesterday no fish or bites.

1Heavyhitr
03-15-2021, 09:44 PM
Anybody out there today? Ice was still pretty much undisturbed last Friday.. 30-32”. Guessing too much hasn’t changed since then other than the first couple of inches maybe and access being a little more mushy but still OK for the next 2-3 days?

RACKER
03-16-2021, 12:29 PM
I’m hoping to get out with quad for last time this weekend. Hoping the access at Mulhurst is still ok by then. Any reports this week will be appreciated. Good luck to all while it lasts.

fish99
03-16-2021, 05:23 PM
I have seen a few trucks out today not sure where they accessed the lake

Backwoods boy
03-17-2021, 05:54 AM
Access on mulhurst is good for anybody wondering, was out last night and lots of ice for a truck, but she's getting a little rotten in the top layer

RACKER
03-17-2021, 06:47 AM
Access on mulhurst is good for anybody wondering, was out last night and lots of ice for a truck, but she's getting a little rotten in the top layer

Thanks for the update. Hope ya caught some fish

Moosetalker
03-17-2021, 11:37 AM
Noticed the ice friability is increasing my auger was cutting 10" holes at least 10-15% faster and far more prone to corkscrewing the last 4 inches as of Monday March 15th.

swabs24
03-21-2021, 05:39 PM
How is it looking out there? If a guy wanted to walk on from Mulhurst with a sled tomorrow or tuesday would he have enough Ice to do so?

Cheers

Nick

fish99
03-22-2021, 08:28 AM
How is it looking out there? If a guy wanted to walk on from Mulhurst with a sled tomorrow or tuesday would he have enough Ice to do so?

Cheers

Nick

i seen trucks still driving on this weekend.

Soiler
03-22-2021, 04:22 PM

Cheers

Nick

I’ve been driving my 1/2 ton on still the last few evenings. No issue with getting on at Mulhurst. Hardly anything for snow left so it’s slippery as all hell but still over 24” of ice inside the bay last night and over 30” out deeper on Friday.

swabs24
03-22-2021, 10:45 PM
I'm excited to get out there tomorrow evening! Hopefully the bite won't be like it was a month a ago...

Cheers
Nick

SNAPFisher
03-24-2021, 07:23 AM
I’ve been driving my 1/2 ton on still the last few evenings. No issue with getting on at Mulhurst. Hardly anything for snow left so it’s slippery as all hell but still over 24” of ice inside the bay last night and over 30” out deeper on Friday.

Thanks! Thinking of chasing wallies on the weekend. I have tags left...just in time :)
I'm thinking quad as I want to get around to some spots. Sounds like snowmobile would not be a good choice?

Soiler
03-25-2021, 03:16 PM
Thanks! Thinking of chasing wallies on the weekend. I have tags left...just in time :)
I'm thinking quad as I want to get around to some spots. Sounds like snowmobile would not be a good choice?

No leave the sled at home. There’s no snow left.

SNAPFisher
03-25-2021, 04:11 PM
No leave the sled at home. There’s no snow left.

Thanks man, appreciate the update.

fish99
03-26-2021, 09:41 AM
there were trucks still on the yesterday

SNAPFisher
03-26-2021, 10:01 AM
there were trucks still on the yesterday

Yeah, probably fine but I'll stick with the quad. Lots of travelling around to do and just feel better with only the quad....as long as it works :)

fish99
03-26-2021, 07:51 PM
Yeah, probably fine but I'll stick with the quad. Lots of travelling around to do and just feel better with only the quad....as long as it works :)

i will be using the quad as well until the end of the month. good luck

swabs24
03-26-2021, 11:04 PM
Was out at grandview today and the ice was naerly as thick as my auger but half of that was likely rotten judging by how fast my ion powered through it. Caught nothing.....

horpensky
03-27-2021, 11:27 PM
Filled our tags off the PP today. Bite was better than it has been, but as usual lots of waiting around for the fish to show up until dusk. Ice is still thick, but water starting to pool on top in places and launch is getting a little rough. Most walked on but there was an SUV out.