12-19-2020, 06:14 PM
Yup.

HuyFishin
12-19-2020, 06:26 PM
Yes sir! Always great to make new friends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RACKER
12-19-2020, 06:40 PM
Those are some great fish.Good for you on helping out others.Most of the time i have helped others out its been a rewarding experience.I try to give out advice on areas that i fish whether it be what ice conditions are like or what fish are biting on.If someone pulls up right beside me in the middle of the lake I will feel them out and decide if i want to really help.I always appreciate help when im trying out a new lake.I had an older gentleman give me a bunch of rapalas just because i helped him fill his walleye tags at Pigeon.He was so happy and said that he never uses them anyways.I felt like a million bucks that night.

Sloughsharkjigger
12-19-2020, 07:07 PM
Good job sir, wouldn’t expect anything less from your type.

Take some time and come to Sylvan lake... you would be helping all day long. lol.

Central Alberta lakes are jammed.

Hard water fishing on a nice day is everyone’s joy.

Happy holiday fishing...

Drewski Canuck
12-19-2020, 07:11 PM
I hope you exchanged phone numbers! I have made many friends on the ice, and on this Board!

It is hard to find young guys who are interested in the Sport, and with so many parents giving up the outdoor sports, its hard for the young guys to get the hands on experience that we have taken a lifetime to learn or learned from someone else.

As you get older, the younger guys are precious as they are there if something happens to us old guys.

Drewski

elk eater
12-19-2020, 08:16 PM
Always willing to help others catch. Have learnt lots and taught what I know.

Zip-in-Z
12-19-2020, 08:24 PM
I'm from Friendly Manitoba ... it's in our DNA.

Cheers

David

trigger7mm
12-19-2020, 08:28 PM
Yep, always willing to help a fellow angler. Why shouldn’t we all have some fun?

Poppa
12-19-2020, 08:30 PM

Cheers

David
I knew I liked you for a reason... #Bison4Life

Bergerboy
12-19-2020, 08:56 PM
Yeah I believe its good fishing karma to help other anglers out.

Red Bullets
12-19-2020, 11:46 PM
i don't mind helping people that take the effort to go ice fishing but they have no clue what to do or what to use. Helped a few get set up and enjoyed watching them catch their first fish thru the ice.

58thecat
12-19-2020, 11:50 PM
Always, been accused of giving out too many so called secrets in the past but hey what worked one day doesn't work another.....and I always appreciate the help from others too.

Cageyc
12-20-2020, 08:16 AM

Cheers

David

It is isn’t it, I go back to the wpg river every couple of years for the fall fishing.

35 whelen
12-20-2020, 08:39 AM
I help out as many people as I can that p.m. me I'm also from the great province of Manitoba ,grew up fishing the Winnipeg River point du bois, Pine Island Lodge, and up to Green Lake, Eagles Nest, had to cancel my trip to Pine Island Lodge this summer because of covet hopefully make it up to Northern Manitoba this winter for ice fishing cheers to all .

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

35 whelen
12-20-2020, 08:41 AM
I help out as many people as I can that p.m. me I'm also from the great province of Manitoba ,grew up fishing the Winnipeg River point du bois, Pine Island Lodge, and up to Green Lake, Eagles Nest, had to cancel my trip to Pine Island Lodge this summer because of covet hopefully make it up to Northern Manitoba this winter for ice fishing cheers to all .

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using TapatalkIf it's open in March and anyone's there's always a group of us goes up there with sleds fish has for some great lake trout .

goku88
12-20-2020, 11:48 AM
so this morning 8:30am i had a Lake Whitefish on the ice

when two anglers strolled close so i invited them closer

well not with in 6feet

Elec auger 10 inch

then the fun started

Dave's first this year 3#11

the Wayne got his first ever :47b20s0::47b20s0:

Dave 2 more over 3# :test:

and Wayne was close with a 2#15oz

some happy anglers... knowing where too go !!!:shark:

seeing about 90 fish between the 3 of us .. some misses:confused0024:

enjoyed the day:sHa_shakeshout:

thanks guys for allowing me to tell your story

Old Guy helping out Anglers

David:)
those fish are awesome

sco22
12-20-2020, 12:46 PM
It all depends.

The family or group of fishermen that roll up politely and ask, I will gladly help. Heck I have given them a hot hook if they don’t have it.

The fellas that roll up with music loud enough to seismically register at the U of A, bottles/cans cascade out when the door opens, smoke signals are possible from above their opened rear windows, flat brimmed hats capped with white sunglasses (okay I don’t really care about that but thought it would make some people here laugh), taking a leak so close to my tent that I feel like I should havre brought a scented urinal splash guard. . .probably not.

DisplacedCaper
12-20-2020, 12:53 PM
I’ve cut many holes for guys with the ion. Given some cheese or smelts to guys who didn’t know. I never mind giving tips out but with my fishing skills it will usually hinder their luck lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outbound
12-20-2020, 01:11 PM
I have no problem helping others out on the water, open or frozen. Lord knows I've been given lots of advice and help while out there myself. I prefer to help by expanding people's knowledge and bring them along for the journey than just saying "cast in that spot, use this hook, this bait, use this exact retrieve." I don't think people learn well that way.

As an example, this last fall I was anchored down and hammering rainbows on a dragon nymph pattern while the guy trolling back and forth wasn't having any luck. When he asked me what fly I was using my advice was "Dragon nymph, brown and green. Try finding the drop off near a reed bed, anchor down and cast so you can retrieve up the drop towards the reeds". 20 minutes later, he had found a spot a couple hundred yards away and I watched his rod bend more often than not. Later on when I passed him on my way back to the launch, he thanked me and we chatted a bit about recognizing dragon hatches and how trout feed on them. He'll be more successful next time now that he knows what to look for and how to fish it.

Jigsalot
12-20-2020, 01:35 PM
Was at Calling last year and I watched a couple of old timers pull up about 50 yards away. They snapped the recoil right away and looked like they were leaving. Went over and drilled 6 holes for them and even gave them a shot of Fireball. Forgot their names. I always help anyone on the ice. Guy at gull years ago needed gas and no problem

sns2
12-20-2020, 02:04 PM
I hope you exchanged phone numbers! I have made many friends on the ice, and on this Board!

It is hard to find young guys who are interested in the Sport, and with so many parents giving up the outdoor sports, its hard for the young guys to get the hands on experience that we have taken a lifetime to learn or learned from someone else.

As you get older, the younger guys are precious as they are there if something happens to us old guys.

Drewski

100% agree!!!

Smoky buck
12-20-2020, 02:11 PM
Helping others is good fishing karma

Jigsalot
12-20-2020, 02:22 PM
Had another experience on Calling about 15 years ago. As soon as I got on the ice my brand new truck broke down. Ended being a crankshaft sensor. I was screwed. I walked off the ice and ran into a fine gentleman who has a place there. We went out and he towed me off the ice and waited for the tow truck. As we waited he fixed me dinner until the guy showed up and off I went to Westlock browns Chrysler. Dodge paid every cent and even a night hotel and I had 2steaks for dinner and a few Caesar’s. Next morning I got my rental and drove home. Got my truck back in a week and drove up to Calling and dropped of a nice gift for those nice people. Ps. Last time I owned a dodge. Drewski probably knows the couple

AlbertanGP
12-20-2020, 03:05 PM
There are people I'll tell everything I know five minutes after meeting them (like the ACA guys fencing the aerated lake we were on Friday or the fisheries biologist that I called to talk to about some local lakes that asked for some help), and people I'll secretly delight in watching them struggle (the two kids smoking weed upwind of me two weeks ago come to mind...). It's no different than anything else in life...some people are deserving and some people are not. It is a good feeling to put people on fish or show them how to catch the ones they are standing on top of.

dodger
12-20-2020, 03:50 PM
I don't help the online crowd but anyone at the lake comes up to me with a question I always give them any info to help.

Dodger.

dodger
12-20-2020, 03:53 PM
Haven't seen Wayne on here for awhile but he probably has helped half of the anglers in AB. Top shelf guy.

Dodger.

35 whelen
12-20-2020, 04:05 PM
There are people I'll tell everything I know five minutes after meeting them (like the ACA guys fencing the aerated lake we were on Friday or the fisheries biologist that I called to talk to about some local lakes that asked for some help), and people I'll secretly delight in watching them struggle (the two kids smoking weed upwind of me two weeks ago come to mind...). It's no different than anything else in life...some people are deserving and some people are not. It is a good feeling to put people on fish or show them how to catch the ones they are standing on top of.Weed is no different than cigarettes or alcohol all legal

AlbertanGP
12-20-2020, 04:07 PM
It stinks. My secrets my rules...

Speckle55
12-20-2020, 06:26 PM
Sharpened hooks:thinking-006:

saw 4 :test:

got 4:47b20s0:

beautiful day:sHa_shakeshout:

David:)

sns2
12-20-2020, 06:35 PM
I am always willing to help. Way I see it is that the other guy put just as much work getting to the lake as I did.

However, I had one guy drive his truck over on less than 8# of ice, park right beside our sleds, and start drilling holes close enough for me to smell his aftershave. Screw that noise. I was not helpful to that guy.

35 whelen
12-20-2020, 07:12 PM
It stinks. My secrets my rules...I'm not saying you had to help them I'm just saying it's no different than cigarette smoke in my opinion, Plus there's no buts to leave on the ice.

AlbertanGP
12-20-2020, 08:23 PM
I don't know what it is...maybe those who smoke pot don't notice it...but those who don't can smell it a mile away and I have yet to meet anyone who thinks it's a good smell. It "carries" way more than cigarette smoke.

Then again, they weren't any worse than the group of 10 or so that weren't catching anything and abandoned their fire on the ice to stroll through our string of tip ups and then set up 20 feet from us after asking us what was working. :thinking-006:

But I digress. I don't want to diminish the spirit of this thread. :)

huntsfurfish
12-20-2020, 08:44 PM
At the Lake will help almost all fishermen. Online, limited with the help as to methods etc. and no help with lakes or spots.

Battle Rat
12-20-2020, 09:56 PM
You're welcome to drill your hole or use one of mine right next to mine.
I'll tell you what works and what doesn't as long as you share what works for you and what doesn't.
I'm always open to take advantage of the knowledge of others.

thumper
12-21-2020, 01:02 PM
I always tie about 4x the number of flies that I'll ever use, but I always seem to go through them all!

schleprock
12-21-2020, 03:36 PM
Of course! Have learnt a lot and met some good people by doing so.