PDA

View Full Version : Worms in whites

Cold lake guy
12-20-2020, 04:11 PM
So I’m a white fish rookie, I keep reading about tape worms in white fish but I see on here everybody is into catching them.... do you have to worry about the worms?

Smoky buck
12-20-2020, 04:30 PM
You can find worms in any species of fish. It is less to do with the species and more to do with the parasite being present in the body of water

I have seen worms in trout, bass, carp, perch and pike as well

Cold lake guy
12-20-2020, 04:58 PM
So true, never seen them in pike but if they are in the food source I’m sure they are there.:thinking-006:

AlbertanGP
12-20-2020, 05:09 PM
Pike are a different part of the life cycle of that particular parasite. ;)

Triaenophorous Tapeworm in Alberta (https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/b9cc827d-d073-4a46-ad53-25c6ac5eb929/resource/ab21a349-f33c-4d56-8069-4b5be8c485d1/download/triaenophorous-2004.pdf)

Cold lake guy
12-20-2020, 05:58 PM
Very informative thx:sHa_shakeshout:

buckman
12-22-2020, 10:28 AM
So true, never seen them in pike but if they are in the food source I’m sure they are there.:thinking-006:

The Pike in Glenmore Reservoir are often loaded with round worms in the stomach.

fishinguy99
12-22-2020, 10:53 AM
Are those the same worms that are on the outside of whitefish sometimes? Saw a lot of them on the whitefish I caught at sylvan last week

chucklesthe3rd
12-22-2020, 11:39 AM
Summer Newell whites are loaded with worms in the stomach and meat. Never really notice them in the winter or spring.

liar
12-22-2020, 11:52 AM
Many years ago i read an article about parasites in fresh water fish . There were a lot more than i was aware of but at the end of the article it was pointed out that none were dangerous for human consumption as long as the fish are cooked .

Stinky Buffalo
12-22-2020, 12:37 PM
Yup, found tapeworms in whites from time to time.

Cook well, and pretend it's Vermicelli! ...er, wormicelli? :lol:

(I'm kidding! I don't eat the worms if I can help it!) :D

Okotok
12-22-2020, 04:10 PM
Many years ago i read an article about parasites in fresh water fish . There were a lot more than i was aware of but at the end of the article it was pointed out that none were dangerous for human consumption as long as the fish are cooked .

True that. The worms add a little body (or more) to the fish! One of my survival books tells me that a handful of insects is equal to about 20 lbs of rainbow trout as far as life sustaining sustenance. Worms aren't insects but close enough!

Cold lake guy
12-24-2020, 04:41 PM
Ok all great info! So I’ve never seen worms in a fish but I’m a pike hunter.....are they pretty obvious? On another note what about the black spots on a pike I’ve been seeing them more often(skin side)

Penner
12-24-2020, 06:33 PM
If you eat fresh wild fish your are already eating worms fresh or salt water. Bottom feeding fish particularly Halibut and Cod are known to be loaded with worms, know as round, seal, or herring worms. Trout, Salmon, they all have it in varying degrees. Generally harmless and killed by heat or flash freezing. Leave a piece of fresh caught Halibut on counter for a few hours and you’ll be amazed as to what you’ll see. If you like sushi, important the fish your eating is sushi grade (flash frozen and inspected). You wouldn’t want to risk making sushi from the fish bought at a grocery store.

Most Whitefish and Tulibee in lakes in around of the NE part of the province have been known to contain tapeworm cysts (not actual worms but the larvae thereof). Old timers up in the NE often “candle” Whitefish fillets prior to consuming. As long as the meat is cooked there’s no risk as the heat will kill the larvae. If your seeing worms on fish there are likely parasites like copepods found on the outside of Lakers or Walleye. Just about every Cold Lake Laker has them. They are harmless.

Adult Tapeworms will only be found in the intestines of carnivores typically due to consumption of raw contaminated flesh.

Unless your eating the guts, it’s the flesh and organs of fish/animals one should be concerned with, the guts not so much.

Penner
12-24-2020, 06:49 PM
Ok all great info! So I’ve never seen worms in a fish but I’m a pike hunter.....are they pretty obvious? On another note what about the black spots on a pike I’ve been seeing them more often(skin side)

Black Spot are worm larvae as well. These are worms also burrowed into the flesh of fish. Harmless crunchy gritty little protein balls really for humans. Common in most lakes in and around the Lakeland. Perch and Pike in Ethel Lake are quite infested Walleye have them too but not as intense.