PDA

View Full Version : fly selection?

muskokagould
08-15-2009, 10:13 PM
hello everyone

i'm new to fly fishing and have a small selection of flies. Wondering if anyone could sugest some good rainbow flies for Muir or Hasse or other lakes near edmonton.Trying to improve my chances of not getting skunked, caught two rainbow the day i bought my fly rod but haven't had any luck since. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

tonyflyfish
08-15-2009, 11:39 PM
don't know those pond but!
Trying chironomids is always a good idea. Put them out and let them sit, stip them in slowly, try everything with these guys.

Trolling or casting and retreiving streamers such as wolly bugger or doc spratley is worth a try.

Pick a dry ply and set it out there until it starts to submerge and leave it another few minutes. Treat it like it is a little bit alive (twitching) and then let it die (let it sit for a a minute or so)

Hope some of these are worth a try for you!

Tony

QBC
08-16-2009, 06:23 AM
My favorite is still fishing chironomids and micro leaches.. Floating line, long leader, strike indicator fishing the micro 6" to a foot off the bottom. I've taken my largest Rainbows this way too.

But, Doc's, full size leach patterns and Wooly's have caught me a pile of fish too.

muskokagould
08-16-2009, 07:50 AM
i'll give those a try. thanks

Doc0spratleyC7A2
08-16-2009, 10:44 AM
wooly bugger in black and olive
doc sratley in red
black gnat
royal coachman
light cahill
san huan wire worm
just some of my favourites