PDA

View Full Version : Winefred/Grist lake

aragor764
12-26-2020, 07:37 AM
Hey guys, has anyone been there lately? How is the road and the ice? Access to the lake? I have never been and dont have a sled or anything, just a pickup, a sled and my two legs. Any info is appreciated, thanks, cheers

guru fisher
12-27-2020, 08:18 PM
Road should be good going in. Access the lake from Winefred outfitters. Pay the piper Paul. Then you can get on from there. Should be easy driving around not much snow.

aragor764
12-28-2020, 08:51 AM
You need to pay to get on the lake? How much?

FlyTheory
12-28-2020, 09:38 AM
Road should be good going in. Access the lake from Winefred outfitters. Pay the piper Paul. Then you can get on from there. Should be easy driving around not much snow.

Pay to access grist lake too?

pikeman06
12-28-2020, 09:39 AM
Pay to get on the lake? W.t.f? Take a chainsaw and blaze a new trail onto the lake.

UngulateMeatEater
12-28-2020, 02:47 PM
Pay to access grist lake too?

Grist is free. Winefred you pay to play. Or like the other guy said blaze a new trail. Winefred has a public launch as well but you need a snowmobile to get down it. Quad might be ok if the snow isn’t to deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dustinjoels
12-28-2020, 03:14 PM
It’s about an extra 40km drive from Paul’s to the public launch. I’d rather just pay to access at Paul’s. I would never drive to the public launch in the summer since the road is so terrible. Not sure what he charges in the winter. Summertime is $50 to launch a boat, so I would probably assume the same for a truck in the winter.

MooseRiverTrapper
12-29-2020, 06:20 AM
That is the most profitable trapline in Alberta.

trophyhunter
12-29-2020, 03:26 PM

So true!

Talking moose
12-29-2020, 03:40 PM

Lol zing!

dustinjoels
12-29-2020, 03:47 PM
I think the trap line north west of his is for sale. Anyone that’s jealous, go buy it and build a road in, put in a launch, apply to the government to be able to have some cabins to rent out and get wealthy.

astepanuk
01-03-2021, 11:43 AM
Drive to grist yesterday. Road to the airstrip was fantastic. The last 7km was pretty rough fishing was typical for Grist.

MooseRiverTrapper
01-03-2021, 07:28 PM
I think the trap line north west of his is for sale. Anyone that’s jealous, go buy it and build a road in, put in a launch, apply to the government to be able to have some cabins to rent out and get wealthy.

Or could drive pavement to 100 better lakes in sask.

Positrac
01-03-2021, 07:55 PM
Doesn’t the lodge have a new owner?

WinefredCommander
01-03-2021, 09:28 PM
Beg Lloyd McMahon to plow the road. Bribe him with Americans.

GregT
01-03-2021, 10:48 PM

Sounds like a wicked retirement opportunity. Too bad Freedom 35 didn’t work out for me 😳

aragor764
12-17-2021, 11:03 AM
Let's revive this thread, anyone been to either Grist or Winefred this year? We managed to get to Grist a few times last winter, the road was great managed to catch 1 keeper. Might be interested in venturing to Winefred this year, how does it work for the payment? I recall seeing the gate there but not sure I had cellphone service to call the number, also would like to confirm the cost to access, 50$ was mentioned last year.
Thanks,

swampy45
12-17-2021, 03:33 PM

If you're planning on accessing the lake from Paul's with a vehicle, good luck.

After last year he is not allowing anyone drive on the lake through his property with a truck or vehicle. Bring your quads and sleds, or walk. Want to drive on? Have fun getting around to the Lodge or Public access.

swampy45
12-17-2021, 03:36 PM
Let's revive this thread, anyone been to either Grist or Winefred this year? We managed to get to Grist a few times last winter, the road was great managed to catch 1 keeper. Might be interested in venturing to Winefred this year, how does it work for the payment? I recall seeing the gate there but not sure I had cellphone service to call the number, also would like to confirm the cost to access, 50$ was mentioned last year.
Thanks,

$40 to launch a boat, $25 a day to park. Cabins are $80 per person per night.

Last I heard from Paul, he is not plowing a road onto the lake this season or allowing vehicle access from his property. Too many idiots and people that come in unprepared.

aragor764
12-20-2021, 08:51 AM
Paul's cabin is that the access from the East side or the South side?