PDA

View Full Version : burbot help

jmparker
12-26-2020, 04:58 PM
Hey Guys. I'm hoping to cross another species off my bucket list this winter. I'd like to catch a burbot or two. I gather night fishing is the way to approach these things and have a few ideas about lures and such. does anyone have any suggestions for a decent lake to start in? I am between calgary and red deer. Pm if you are more comfortable with that.

Thanks and good luck out there!

burnme
12-26-2020, 05:16 PM
Gull, sylvan and Buffalo all have em.

220 Swift
12-26-2020, 05:44 PM
What depth are people going for at this time of year ?

Talking moose
12-26-2020, 06:24 PM
I’m seeing them and catching them in all depths between 6-20 feet.
Have caught at buffalo and sylvan, seen them on gull too.

akn
12-26-2020, 11:33 PM
Is it worth targetting them during the day?

Brodhead
12-27-2020, 12:19 AM
Most of the burbot I've caught have been at dusk or at night but there have been days where they're hitting tip-ups and jigs all day like pike. Just make sure you use bait of some kind.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

58thecat
12-27-2020, 08:00 AM
Most of the burbot I've caught have been at dusk or at night but there have been days where they're hitting tip-ups and jigs all day like pike. Just make sure you use bait of some kind.

Yup....wife was bored as the fish were not cooperating so into the lunch kit she went....believe it or not turkey peperoni end piece and yup the burbs liked that....Xmas eve on the ice was fun.....a bit for me, and a bit for the the burbs....

Jigsalot
12-27-2020, 08:31 AM

Agree. I have caught many during the day when jigging for walleye. They fight better and love catching them. Fawcett is my favorite and always catch burbot up there.

EZM
12-27-2020, 06:35 PM
We catch Burbs on Gull during the day quite regularly. They seem to like rattling or noisy baits pounded on the bottom then dead sticked.

I use a small rattler and tip it with a minnow - looks stupid - but works wonders.

mayuan
12-28-2020, 11:41 AM
https://youtu.be/uuoWsyZYgDM

Here is a video from a few years back. Ghost lake in the marina at about 10ft of water. The bait was just a smaller herring with a hook in it. Bounce it and they will come!

jmparker
12-28-2020, 02:42 PM
thanks guys!

what type of structure should i look for in general?

SNAPFisher
12-28-2020, 06:34 PM
thanks guys!

what type of structure should i look for in general?

Flat boring and muddy / silty. Next to a deep basin. That said, you can find them almost anywhere in the winter but they seem to congregate best near deep water.