PDA

View Full Version : 20# x 36” Laker through the ice

Rock Doctor
12-27-2020, 11:21 PM
So, my brother had been promising to bring me a big Lake Trout for the past year or so ( he gets out to different fishing locations more often than I do), I wanted one to try in the smoker. Rumours had it that big Lakers are terrible, oily/greasy things not fit for consumption, but I really thought I could do it justice.
As it turned out, we both had last Sunday off and the weather looked to be fine. We made a plan and headed to “No Name” Lake that morning. It’s a long drive for a day trip, but brother had to work Monday morning. We didn’t leave super early, as the best fishing would be as the sun was going down and for the first few hrs after dark. We had a simplistic idea of what we wanted to see for bottom structure, and a depth chart for the lake. Brother had purchased a Panoptic Fishing System last year that we really didn’t have much of a chance to try out. So, as we travelled, we decided on a likely spot that we knew we could get to without too much trouble. We arrived at our spot around noon and drilled about a thousand holes. At first we were much too deep, we moved around from hole to hole, looking for some structure at the 100ft level. We decided on a spot where the water dropped smooth and fast to 100’, there was a little bump up, then the bottom continued to drop sharply down to approx 300’. We agreed that this looked good. We set up the Popup Tent and positioned ourselves about 8’ apart with a couple holes between ourselves for the Panoptic Transducer. As best I could tell, my brother was dropping his lure right on top of the little mound, and I was dropping mine just over the deep side of the mound. Keep in mind that our lines were no more than 8’ apart. So with the Panoptic setup, we could see 100’ to the bottom and about 100’ in all directions. The Thermocline was at about 46’, this was where we concentrated our efforts (we also rattled the bottom often just to see if anyone was home down there). We could see fish at 25’ and a few at the 46’ mark. We figured the ones at 25 were whitefish and Lakers at 46. Throughout the day, my brother caught several fish at the 46’ mark, some of them swimming down from the 25’ mark to hit his lure. All Lakers in the 17-18” size. I had a few bites, but never hooked up. Each time my brother released a fish, he would look at me and say “ Sorry about your luck...”, I would mutter something to the effect of “F$&@ you”. So, long story longer, we fished until about 8:00, I still never had a fish, brother was fairly slimed up and stinking of Lake Trout ( what’s with the smell of Lake Trout anyway?). Brother decided it’s getting late and we need to think about wrapping up for the day, he says “ well, I’m going to pack up and clean fish, you can have my Honey Hole”. I told him where to go and how to get there.... He’s fishing on my left, but most of our stuff is on my right, so he moves and starts fumbling around the gear, kinda crowding me a bit. I move over 4’ to the Panoptic hole between our fishing holes ( like Hell am I going to his “Honey Hole”). He continued to bump and crowd me so I caved and moved to his spot, dropped my lure right to the bottom, twitched my rod a couple times and WHAMM, fish on.
The rest of this story can be viewed in the video, if you don’t want to watch us chat and fight a fish for 25 minutes, you can FF to about the last 4 min of the vid which is where we get our first glimpse of the fish.

https://youtu.be/JrKv8a_dzo4

RD

PS, when I finally landed my fish, I looked my brother straight in the eye and said “SORRY ABOUT YOUR LUCK”, he just about died laughing. I think all the fish he landed, all day, would have fit INSIDE my fish, lol. What a day :)

PPS, I used a Smoking Recipe that I found on this site many moons ago, I don’t remember who posted it, but thank you, whoever you are, it turned out FANTASTIC. I will try to post the recipe in the comments later.

Fisherdan
12-27-2020, 11:37 PM
Great fish and even better story!

Rock Doctor
12-27-2020, 11:41 PM
Sorry, typo there. It was a 15 min battle, not 25 min.

Here is the recipe, I’m sure someone will recognize it. I like the Teriyaki version:

Excellent BRADLEY Smoked Alaskan Salmon
(A Spin-off from Bob Kitchen’s Incredible Recipe)

Step 1: PREPARE FISH
Filet salmon. Leave skin on. REMOVE ALL BONES (Very important for excellence!)

Step 2: UNIFORM STRIPS
Cut meat into uniform strips, 3/8 to 1/2” wide and 3-6” long, OR as long as your smoker racks can handle......the key here is to get uniform thickness cuts for uniform brining and smoking. The length is important only as far as your own packaging preferences. The strips will have a tendency to fall or sag through the larger grid racks.........I've switched to a small grid (1/2") non-stick coated rack from WWW.ChezBubba.com and now have no problem with meat falling through

Step 3: BRINING
Soak in your own brine recipe for 12 hours at refrigerator temps (I use an Igloo type ice chest with about a gallon of ice thrown in). For more complete brining throughout, place a stainless steel or wooden grate over the top of the meat to hold it under the brine. Stir fish a few times during the brining process. The following brine recipe is included to get you started, but you are encouraged to experiment with your own salt/sugar, maple, honey, peppers, seasonings to develop your own. (My apologies to our metricated friends)
16 cups cold water
4 cups teriyaki OR soy sauce
1 cup pickling salt
4.5 cups brown sugar
2 Tbsp garlic powder
3 Tbsp cayenne pepper
Step 4: GLAZING
Place fish in a single layer on drying racks and ensure that the pieces DON’T touch each other. Dry in a cool, shady place until a hard pellicle forms. Fish will have a tough, shiny coat and will be slightly tacky to the touch. (Winter time tip! Dry 12-36 hours in a cold place such as an unheated garage, but DON’T allow to freeze) In the summer temps, it can typically take 3-4 hours for the fish to “glaze”. A fan can help speed the drying process. DON’T let the fish spoil from warm temps! Turn the fish over 2-3 times during the Glazing process to ensure more complete glazing. It is during the glazing process that you can sprinkle on certain spices (e.g. cayenne pepper) and/or visual enhancers (e.g. parsley flakes).

Step 5: SMOKING
Smoke using the following Bradley Smoking guideline:
100°-120°F for 1-2 hours, then increase to
140° for 2-4 hours, then increase to
175° for 1-2 hours to finish

Use the longer times given for thicker/higher oil content fish. As a general rule, the higher temp you use or the longer you hot smoke, the more the meat cooks the oils out, HOWEVER, the meat becomes dryer/tougher in the process. I've "accidently" left meat (silver salmon) at the 140-150°F range for up to 8 hours and it still turned out great. I personally believe that you'd have to try REAL hard to make a batch of smoke salmon unpalatable by over smoking/cooking. If you get white “boogers” on the meat, you’re cooking too high/too fast.

liar
12-28-2020, 09:22 AM
nice

Captainkip
12-28-2020, 09:45 AM
You killed a 20 pounder

58thecat
12-28-2020, 09:46 AM
sometimes 15 minutes feels like an eternity...great job and congrats..I was looking or hoping you would have taken some outside pics to give away your location:sHa_sarcasticlol:

58thecat
12-28-2020, 09:48 AM
You killed a 20 pounder

ate it too:sHa_shakeshout:
only way I ever eat one of those is on the smoker the true eaters are out of the sask lakes cuz they are better eating the smaller they are....

Rock Doctor
12-28-2020, 10:41 AM
You killed a 20 pounder

Yes, I stated straight up that I was looking for a big one in this particular trip, I had never kept one before . A 20lber is far from the largest in the lake. Granted, I was ideally looking for one in the 16lb range, but you take what you can get.

It turned out fantastic, great reviews by all that tried it.

RD

liar
12-28-2020, 11:56 AM
sometimes 15 minutes feels like an eternity...great job and congrats..I was looking or hoping you would have taken some outside pics to give away your location:sHa_sarcasticlol:

I though an old pro like you would of been able to tell just by the colour of the water !

-JR-
12-28-2020, 12:08 PM
Even for BC thats a nice Laker . Thanks for posting for us Alberta guys .

58thecat
12-28-2020, 12:10 PM
[/COLOR]

I though an old pro like you would of been able to tell just by the colour of the water !

master anglers are very devious in their ways of NOT letting us average fella's in on their spots.....dam them:)

Rock Doctor
12-28-2020, 02:03 PM
master anglers are very devious in their ways of NOT letting us average fella's in on their spots.....dam them:)

Some of those that pretend to be average are, in fact, far from it:)

RD

58thecat
12-28-2020, 03:11 PM
Some of those that pretend to be average are, in fact, far from it:)

RD

oh and the fish looked freaking awesome....smoked fish just makes me drool like a young man at a cheerleader rally....:sHa_shakeshout:

Rock Doctor
12-28-2020, 03:28 PM
oh and the fish looked freaking awesome....smoked fish just makes me drool like a young man at a cheerleader rally....:sHa_shakeshout:

It was amazing, the closest I can describe it is that it’s like Spring Salmon.
Out of the smoker Wednesday night, and it’s all gone now (4 days). The one fish filled all four racks in my Pro Bradley. Wife said it might be the best batch of smoked fish I’ve ever created. Yes, it is oily, but after 10hrs in the smoker, I called it done.
I love the marbled look it had when it was finished.

RD

HuyFishin
12-29-2020, 10:12 AM
It was amazing, the closest I can describe it is that it’s like Spring Salmon.
Out of the smoker Wednesday night, and it’s all gone now (4 days). The one fish filled all four racks in my Pro Bradley. Wife said it might be the best batch of smoked fish I’ve ever created. Yes, it is oily, but after 10hrs in the smoker, I called it done.
I love the marbled look it had when it was finished.

RD

If it’s as delicious as a smoked spring I’ll be in shock! Great video RockDoc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rock Doctor
12-29-2020, 03:11 PM
If it’s as delicious as a smoked spring I’ll be in shock! Great video RockDoc

I totally understand. I did not expect this result at all, but when this pile of smoked fish disappears from my house in only 4 days, and my wife states that she believes it may have been my best so far, I have to agree that it was very good. I wish you could have sampled it:)

RD

EZM
12-30-2020, 11:44 PM

I think he gave away his location when he said there was 300' of depth. Lakers are only found in in a few lakes in the Province, and only a couple are that deep. One of the lakes I'm thinking of (Minnewanka) is closed and there no ice fishing - so I'm guessing he may have been on your stomping grounds !!!!!!

GREAT FISH !!!!! would have been a cool catch.

CBintheNorth
12-31-2020, 12:03 AM
I think he gave away his location when he said there was 300' of depth. Lakers are only found in in a few lakes in the Province, and only a couple are that deep. One of the lakes I'm thinking of (Minnewanka) is closed and there no ice fishing - so I'm guessing he may have been on your stomping grounds !!!!!!

I think post #10 nailed it.

Nice fish for sure.

There's nowhere on Cold Lake right now where you can fish anywhere near a 300 ft dropoff.. it's still open.

blgoodbrand1
12-31-2020, 07:25 AM

Except he’s from bc and lot closer to the nwt than Cold Lake

58thecat
12-31-2020, 07:32 AM
Except he’s from bc and lot closer to the nwt than Cold Lake

we will have to gather more Intel on this Rock Doctor.....:)

I suspect he is from Jade City....

:thinking-006:

:)