PDA

View Full Version : Bit of advice please

Bob A
12-31-2020, 12:18 AM
Just moved to cold lake recently and want to try ice fishing. Have been out to French bay a couple of times. No luck so far, but just wondering if fishing on or near the bottom with tipped jigs is the way to go. Thanks
Bob

35 whelen
12-31-2020, 05:54 AM
Fish the whole depth of lake ,and watch some Clayton schick videos.

OL_JR
12-31-2020, 07:07 AM
Weavster on here has shared a bunch of videos on Cold lake as well that are pretty informative. Electronics definitely make a huge difference, not sure if you are using some sort of flasher or not.

With that said some days just tapping something smaller near bottom will get you more fish, and just my experience but the majority of the bigger fish we have caught come from near bottom as well when using bigger lures. Not always the best for action when they are active though.

58thecat
12-31-2020, 08:00 AM
Watch Weavsters vids....ice fishing....for tip ups or jaw jackets I use a 6" ish herring/smelt hooked through the nose and mid section with trebles.....up about 12" a lead weight to get it to the bottom.
Jigging I use TC Moto with a smaller minnow on hooked through the eyes and if I have a stinger I put a small twist in the body and put attach the stinger.
Jigging also lens Thompson no2 spoons....fall to the bottom...bounce and reel up...stop.....reel again....rinse and repeat.
Gibbs jigging minnow too...bend the body a bit to get some action out of it....
A good ice auger....hmmmmm strikemaster....40V....
You don't need but is a game changer....flasher....I like to wonder around before settling in...drill...drop in electronics and have a looksie....bait balls of Cisco and a ledge seems to produce....once you find a spot drill along the edge and out over it into deeper water....increase your odds of finding active fish.
Caught lakers on ice in 30-150'....
Heavy jigs...buck tails work too....
Like mentioned before watch Mat's vids and all I can say is be ready to change it up but I tell ya bait wins 9 times out of 10....if your on them....

Stop in at Emma's in cold lake north or contact Kim at https://m.facebook.com/coldlaketackleshack/
Great people and all your supplies too.....even snacks:)
Good luck...it's a blast.

Bob A
01-01-2021, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the advice.
Best wishes to all.