PDA

View Full Version : Great fishing near Cochrane AB

hebear1133
12-31-2020, 02:00 AM
Hey everyone,

I recently moved to Cochrane from Northern AB only a few years ago. I have 3 small kids 4-9 that I love to take ice fishing but I am pretty new to the area and not to sure where to bring them. I have taken them to ghost reservoir mostly because it is so close to home but have had very little success. I use to take them to a stocked pond when we lived up north and they loved it and just want to see/catch fish, the kids don't care about size.

I have done lots of research as to where the stocked ponds are this way but sounds like most are fished out or winter killed. Im just trying to find if the fishing community could point me in some directions that I can bring them so we can enjoy the winters. Not looking for specific areas or ponds or lakes but just names of ponds/lakes to look into.

Thanks

Scott N
12-31-2020, 04:46 AM
"Great" fishing might be a little bit optimistic, but Spray Lakes south of Canmore is a very popular ice fishing destination. I think for most people, they have more success at Spray than they do at Ghost Res. 2 popular places on Spray are near the Driftwood and Sparrowhawk Day Use areas. Spray is deep, and having a flasher really helps. Generally, if you can find water 70' or 80' deep you should be OK. Be aware of regulations (i.e. you can use smelt, but not minnows), but most people have some luck with a white jig tipped with a bit of smelt (most fish in Spray aren't big) or a Buzz Bomb with a bit of smelt. Scenery is top notch, but it can get windy out there. Also be aware that the depth of snow in places might not make for a lot of fun for little ones.

You might also want to research Chain Lakes Res. SW of Longview, it's also a popular place for ice fishing, with easier access to the lake than Spray offers.

Regarding winter kill, if you have some places in mind that are local, you shouldn't have to worry about winter kill until later in the ice fishing season.

alc1966
12-31-2020, 08:49 AM
Also from Cochrane, I'll 2nd all of Scott N's comments about Spray and Chain, probably your best bet within 90 minute drive. A little closer to home my favourite spot to go with the kids is Winchell Lake near Water Valley, it's a short drive, access is pretty easy and the fishing is ok. Also within a 90 minute drive is Burnstick Lake and Birch Lake. At least at Burnstick lake the kids can toboggan down the boat launch ramp at the Summer Village when the fishing is slow. Although last weekend the flood water was ankle deep and the kids and wife had wet feet within minutes which made for a short day of fishing.

biggyJ
12-31-2020, 11:18 AM
If you go to Winchell make sure you have 4x4 and good tires. There is just enough hill that it can be tough to get up.

Snow this year is deep and has not been plowed. Only tire tracks going in. Had to help push a guy out yesterday that didn’t have the above.

Only place to turnaround is at boat launch.

Also, find it pretty slow in winter. Probably not enough catching to keep it interesting for little ones.

shawn
12-31-2020, 02:15 PM
If you head north to the Caroline area there are lots of lakes to keep the kids entertained.

hebear1133
12-31-2020, 07:49 PM
Thanks a lot everyone! I have trips planned to chain and spray but since the kids are still young Im hoping a shallower lake with smaller fish that they can see on the underwater camera will excite them more.

biggyJ
12-31-2020, 09:52 PM
Chain will do this. Lots of little fish, Will keep the kids pumped. Light biters, got to be ready or they will steal your shrimp.