PDA

View Full Version : Scents?

Geezle
08-16-2009, 04:52 PM
i've never used any sort of scent while fishing before, but last night when I was out with BBJ we were using a Powerbait scent on our worms and it seemed to be doing the trick.

So today I decided to invesitgate, and I came across the Powerbait scents, for walleye, and for trout, and then I also saw a Gulp nightcrawler scented spray.

So how many of you folks out there use these scents? Do you have a preference?

I picked up a bottle of the Powerbait stuff for walleye, I'm kinda curious to see if/how it helps me out.

RedHeadedFisherman
08-16-2009, 08:09 PM
I use Berkley powerbait for Walleye on smelts and earthworms, i find it works better than when i dont out it on
( did a 20 min test without then with) had way more hits with it :) :D

woolybugga
08-16-2009, 08:15 PM
gulp kicks *****
back home wed have 100+ fish days on 1 package of gulp

tight lines

WayneChristie
08-16-2009, 08:16 PM
I like to hit my lures with WD40 keeps them from rusting and also attracts the fish, cant lose!

Geezle
08-16-2009, 09:19 PM
I like to hit my lures with WD40 keeps them from rusting and also attracts the fish, cant lose!

You know I've heard the WD-40 thing before but I never thought too much of it...maybe I should give it a shot some time!

Albertadiver
08-16-2009, 09:22 PM

Might want to read these two threads...

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=16813&highlight=wd40

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=18368&highlight=wd40

WayneChristie
08-16-2009, 09:33 PM
to each his own

Geezle
08-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Might want to read these two threads...

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=16813&highlight=wd40

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=18368&highlight=wd40

makes sense...petroleum products + water = bad

Good thing we've got this thread to learn about proper (safe) synthetic scents :)

Albertadiver
08-16-2009, 09:35 PM
to each his own

I used to do it myself, mostly ice fishing. Now that I know SRD will charge you if they catch you using it, I haven't been.

Just trying to help folks out as it appears the WD-40 'trick' shows up every few months or so.

nicemustang
08-17-2009, 09:18 AM
It's well known and documented that walleye are not attracted to scent. However, the sprays work wonders in a few situations. IE: if you have bug spray, suntan lotion, gas, etc. Use the spray scent on your bait to get rid of those.

Morph1
08-17-2009, 12:39 PM
I usually leave the worms in the sox from the day before overnight , I make sure I put them overnight next to a radiator, the next day I wake up by the wapours of the stench I can hardy take, man when you get on the lake with this package you become an instant master angler lol :lol: JK,
I think scents are just a money grabber and don't work, yeah great point there when you're a smoker and load your hook with the hand you've been smoking using the scent may work great to cover the tabacco smell,
I personally never used them but often fish with friends that try that as a last luck resort and end up with nothing anyways...
But I gotta say that last weekend had some good luck using bacon as bait for walleyes and it worked great ;)

jts1
08-17-2009, 12:44 PM
I find that Canadian , Jamisons , and even Bud if its cold enough works well for me...... :wave:

Sry

pecker
08-17-2009, 06:21 PM
I find that Canadian , Jamisons , and even Bud if its cold enough works well for me...... :wave:

Sry

i've bought enough power bait , scented baits , spray scents etc. to own shares in Berkely . No more mr. scent guy . Sorry Berkely . :tongue2: :wave: Oh YA .-- they don't do anything for me but fall off or wash off the lure . thank you .:D

sheephunter
08-17-2009, 06:27 PM
It's well known and documented that walleye are not attracted to scent.

Not sure where that is well known and I'd like to see that documentation.

When walleye are actively feeding there's no question that scent matters little but when they are neutral or negative, scent makes a difference. If not, there would be no sense in ever using bait for them.

On a side note, be aware that scent or scent impregnated artificual lures are considered bait and may not be used where bait bans are in place.

Geezle
08-17-2009, 09:03 PM
It's well known and documented that walleye are not attracted to scent. However, the sprays work wonders in a few situations. IE: if you have bug spray, suntan lotion, gas, etc. Use the spray scent on your bait to get rid of those.

What about fish other than walleye?

Geezle
08-17-2009, 09:05 PM
On a side note, be aware that scent or scent impregnated artificual lures are considered bait and may not be used where bait bans are in place.
Tidbits like this are why I love this forum...I didn't know that scents or scented artifical lures were considered bait where bait bans are in effect.

nicemustang
08-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Every walleye book i have explain in detail that scent is not a contributing factor when they take any bait. Its the movement with their lateral line that attracts/detracts. Just telling you what I know.

Geezle
08-18-2009, 06:21 AM
Every walleye book i have explain in detail that scent is not a contributing factor when they take any bait. Its the movement with their lateral line that attracts/detracts. Just telling you what I know.

What about fish other than walleye?

Anybody?

sheephunter
08-18-2009, 08:28 AM

Sorry, but while scent may not be as important to walleye as it is to trout or salmon, it is one of the senses they rely on when feeding, especially when they are not actively feeding. I think you must not fully understanding what the authors are saying in their books or you need to buy some new walleye books. While the lateral line is indeed one sense they use when feeding, so too are are sight, hearing, smell, touch and taste. Why would a walleye ever eat a frozen minnow is not????

nicemustang
08-18-2009, 08:35 AM
I think (don't quote me) that trout are scent hunters. Which is why the powerbait works well in stocked rainbow ponds. It smells and tastes like the food they are feed in holding tanks at the fish farm.

I find that the stinkier the better smelt works better for lakers in spray, so that might hold up.

I can't support any arguments that pike are attracted to scent, except maybe in winter. Sorry I can't be more help.

I think the most important point was made though, which you should be aware of. If you have smoke, gas, bug spray, suntan lotion, etc on your hands then it transfers to your lure/bait, you bet that makes a difference.

sheephunter
08-18-2009, 08:36 AM
Anybody?

All fish rely on their sense of smell at some point when feeding. When fish are actively feeding, the senses of sight, vibration (lateral line) and hearing are primary but when turned off, they also rely heavily on scent and in some cases even taste. Most fish actually have external taste receptors that allow them to actually taste a biat without taking it in their mouth. Ice fisherman can attest to this after seeing fish bump their bait.

In Alberta, there's little doubt that trout are the king of the olfactory sense and rely heavily upon their noses. Pike are kings in the vibration department with not only a lateral line but additinal vibration detectors in their head. Walleye rule in the eyesight department and can not only see well in low light but their eyes adapt quickly to changing light. But, make no mistake, all these fish rely on all their senses at times when feeding.

nicemustang
08-18-2009, 08:37 AM
Sorry, but while scent may not be as important to walleye as it is to trout or salmon, it is one of the senses they rely on when feeding, especially when they are not actively feeding. I think you must not fully understanding what the authors are saying in their books or you need to buy some new walleye books. While the lateral line is indeed one sense they use when feeding, so too are are sight, hearing, smell, touch and taste. Why would a walleye ever eat a frozen minnow is not????

That may be, but the reason they eat the frozen minnow is because it looks like a bait fish they are hunting for. That's why we fish with minnows, because it mimmicks the bait fish in the lake.

sheephunter
08-18-2009, 08:42 AM
That may be, but the reason they eat the frozen minnow is because it looks like a bait fish they are hunting for. That's why we fish with minnows, because it mimmicks the bait fish in the lake.

No, because you can ball a frozen minnow up on a hook so it has no resemblence to a minnow yet walleye will still eat it because it smells good. The same can be said of nightcrawlers. It's not a natural food for walleye but they smell irresistable. Worms are the one bait that all freshwater fish recognize as food strictly by its scent. There are countless myths surrounding walleye and the more of them that you believe, the less fish you will catch.

Mustang, you really need to go back and read those books as I can't see a walleye fisherman worth his salt totally discounting the sense of smell in walleye and their lateral line is certainly not their primary feeding sense in most situations, their eyesight is.

nicemustang
08-18-2009, 08:49 AM
Ok, I'll give you that. You're probably a more experienced and knowledgeable fisher than I am, thanks for all the info. I have two old walleye books that say it doesn't matter (I checked again last night), maybe it's time to get a new one. At any rate, I've never had a problem catching a tonne of fish so I must be doing something right. Fishing in the right spot/location that seems to only matter for me. Once I've used my knowledge and experience to find the fish, it's all gravey for me. Cheers.

AxeMan
08-18-2009, 12:41 PM
In my experience walleyes definitely use their sense of smell. I have found that frozen shiner minnows will outfish those preseved shiners in the jar significantly. They look the same but the frozen minnows have fishy a scent while the preserved ones smell like the preservative.

Geezle
08-18-2009, 05:05 PM
All fish rely on their sense of smell at some point when feeding. When fish are actively feeding, the senses of sight, vibration (lateral line) and hearing are primary but when turned off, they also rely heavily on scent and in some cases even taste. Most fish actually have external taste receptors that allow them to actually taste a biat without taking it in their mouth. Ice fisherman can attest to this after seeing fish bump their bait.

In Alberta, there's little doubt that trout are the king of the olfactory sense and rely heavily upon their noses. Pike are kings in the vibration department with not only a lateral line but additinal vibration detectors in their head. Walleye rule in the eyesight department and can not only see well in low light but their eyes adapt quickly to changing light. But, make no mistake, all these fish rely on all their senses at times when feeding.

Thanks, that's a good chunk of general information that I didn't know :)