PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone see carp in ice fishing ?

Carp
12-31-2020, 06:11 PM
I am wondering if anyone has seen carp in ice fishing. I have tried carp fishing many times in winter season last two years but I never got any single bite.

Has anyone got carp in ice fishing ?

old dog
12-31-2020, 06:58 PM
Never even seen one on the camera

Bulletproof
12-31-2020, 08:23 PM
Last February managed a couple at Blood. One on a small silver kastmaster tipped with maggots and one on a small tungsten jig with maggots.

ssyd
12-31-2020, 10:23 PM
I am wondering if anyone has seen carp in ice fishing. I have tried carp fishing many times in winter season last two years but I never got any single bite.

Dear new member: Please don't start stocking our lakes with carp to satisfy your desire to catch them.

globetrekker
01-01-2021, 12:23 PM
lol :sHa_shakeshout:

dodger
01-01-2021, 01:32 PM
:sHa_shakeshout: X2

Dodger.

Carp
01-01-2021, 08:49 PM
Dear new member: Please don't start stocking our lakes with carp to satisfy your desire to catch them.

Of course.. I have killed all of them whenever I caught them.

fish99
01-02-2021, 09:45 AM
Of course.. I have killed all of them whenever I caught them.

are they good to eat

MrDave
01-03-2021, 08:55 AM
To those looking to fish for them, Innisfail fail has a lake with them. Dodds lake has been stocked by the bucket brigade and we also suspect the western pond at the southern overpass may have them. As for eating, they aren't the best but they beat hunger pains

Carp
01-04-2021, 02:06 PM
are they good to eat

I never tried but some people eat them. In fact I don't eat any fish from fresh water... I think a carp has fish smell a lot but tasty.

lxiaob
01-04-2021, 02:57 PM
To those looking to fish for them, Innisfail fail has a lake with them. Dodds lake has been stocked by the bucket brigade and we also suspect the western pond at the southern overpass may have them. As for eating, they aren't the best but they beat hunger pains

Which western pond?

As soon as carp entered a water system, they stay there forever. I was growing up in an area with a lot of paddy fields that farmers grow rice with. Most of those fields were dried out every fall. You may think carps should be all killed for months of dry season. But they showed up every time latter when the rain water filled the paddy fields.

Douglas N
01-04-2021, 08:10 PM
I never tried but some people eat them. In fact I don't eat any fish from fresh water... I think a carp has fish smell a lot but tasty.

Say that last sentence in a different way? What do mean?

TROLLER
01-05-2021, 10:49 AM
Dewitts pond west of Airdrie is full of em. go get em pls.

JDK71
01-05-2021, 11:35 AM
Dewitts pond west of Airdrie is full of em. go get em pls.

it was a great trout pound back in the 90s

MrDave
01-06-2021, 09:14 AM
Which western pond?

As soon as carp entered a water system, they stay there forever. I was growing up in an area with a lot of paddy fields that farmers grow rice with. Most of those fields were dried out every fall. You may think carps should be all killed for months of dry season. But they showed up every time latter when the rain water filled the paddy fields.

The one along the overpass in the ditch. Several of us saw a guy fishing in there this summer. No other reason to fling a hook there and he was there repeatedly.

calgarygringo
01-06-2021, 09:33 AM
A few years ago one of the fish bios told me they are harder to catch in the winter as they tend to bury themselves in the mud a lot once the water temps drop. Also said when water goes down or out they can bury themselves in the mud and survive. As long as the mud does not totally dry out they survive just fine. In other words harder to catch in winter than summer and they will keep coming back even though you may not see them they are still there.

thumper
01-06-2021, 10:06 AM
I read a recently published scientific paper, that studied the viability of carp eggs surviving passage through the digestive system of mallard ducks. Although a very low percentage, some fish eggs DO survive! Given the huge number of eggs a carp produces, and the tendency of mallards to utilize every little body of water - it would not be surprising to find that waterbirds are the ones colonizing new water bodies with 'Prussian' (and other) carp. Even if birds are not targeting fish eggs as food, they are probably ingesting some as they feed on other items.

I haven't seen anything on the viability of crawfish eggs in a birds digestive system, but that might explain how crawfish have expanded their range into southern Alberta as well.

It's my belief that the belief that 'Bucket Brigades' are entirely to blame, may be mistaken. Sorry, I don't have the report at my finger-tips, but you may be able to 'Google it up' !

fishgod
01-06-2021, 09:15 PM
Ice seen them on the camera before down deep. In big schools zooming around like they were late for work. Although I've also heard they bury themselves in winter. Guess those ones missed the memo

pikeman06
01-06-2021, 10:32 PM
I read a recently published scientific paper, that studied the viability of carp eggs surviving passage through the digestive system of mallard ducks. Although a very low percentage, some fish eggs DO survive! Given the huge number of eggs a carp produces, and the tendency of mallards to utilize every little body of water - it would not be surprising to find that waterbirds are the ones colonizing new water bodies with 'Prussian' (and other) carp. Even if birds are not targeting fish eggs as food, they are probably ingesting some as they feed on other items.

I haven't seen anything on the viability of crawfish eggs in a birds digestive system, but that might explain how crawfish have expanded their range into southern Alberta as well.

It's my belief that the belief that 'Bucket Brigades' are entirely to blame, may be mistaken. Sorry, I don't have the report at my finger-tips, but you may be able to 'Google it up' !
I went on a big rant about farm dugouts miles and miles from any fish bearing waters and perch and suckers and minnows and you name it turning up in these waters. Nobody stocked these ponds. End of story. But the city biologists swear there's people in little suvs dumping pails full of fish from milk River to hay River. Try to convince them otherwise.
Some people just have a certain mindset and there's no turning back. I don't doubt there's a few trout ponds that have had perch introduced here and there but they didn't stock our dugouts with Iowa darters and spottail shiners and long nose suckers and redhorse suckers and all that kinda stuff too. A fish egg is a fish egg. The geese pass thru in hundreds of thousands right when the fish are spawning. If someone was out stocking dugouts with a bucket we would know...

MrDave
01-10-2021, 09:23 AM
Went out for an hour on Dodds lake in Innisfail. Several bites but nothing hooked. It will take practice and research to get them, I guess. Another couple of fellows who tried the middle saw only one. They were in 3 meters, I was in 1. Better than tv for the kid, she got to stalk 10 Mulies while I tried fishing.

Surfnturf
01-11-2021, 08:23 PM

If you are talking about crucian carp, yes, you can catch it on ice. I used to catch lots back in Europe. The key is to use very light tackle, I used to catch them on ultra light. They will not take lures, they might by mistake, bait only.
On ice I used to catch them on 2-3 pound line, fluorocarbon leader will improve your chances. Very small hook, preferably a skinny red one, some led shots 8 inch above and a small adjustable bobber. The smaller the bobber, the less led, smaller chances to spook them. Tungsten might be better if you got any small shots of it. Maggots and small dragonfly larvae worked back home. Here maggots should work, I would assume they tuned on small aquatic insects so check the hatch around your body of water. You can try very subtle jigging and by subtle I mean like an alcoholic's tremor in the morning before his shot lol. Only jig if you have a fish finder and you want to attract them. Once they spotted your bait do not move an inch, they are very picky biters.

Surfnturf
01-11-2021, 08:28 PM
Which western pond?

Yup. You can drop the atomic bomb. They might grow an extra eye or something, but they will survive ☠

Surfnturf
01-11-2021, 08:32 PM
are they good to eat

They are good, they have a distinctive sweet meat. Just have to learn how to deal with the bones. Others will disagree, but then again, I grew up eating them. Been catching them since I was 6.