PDA

View Full Version : I must be doing something wrong!!!

KBF
12-31-2020, 08:29 PM
I don’t recall ever fishing this time of year, always had other things going on. But I’ve had the kids out over Christmas holidays and we have really been striking out. We fishing irrigation canals in the Magrath area( this is home). Been out 4 times and managed one small pike out of 4 bites. Have never really struggled to catch fish before in these spots.
We have been set up for virtually anything that wants to bite, pike, walleye, whitefish. At this point the kids would be tickled with a sucker!!

How is the bite in your areas?
Is there something about this time of year?
Fish in depth transitioning?

Fishing 4-10’ of water.

Thanks. Any help be appreciated

yoteblaster
12-31-2020, 09:48 PM
You are not alone. Have seen one fish in 5 outings with 3 of us fishing. This is on a lake I have fished for 10 years. SUPER slow and discouraging. Have moved around a bit looking for better spots but maybe 2021 will be better.

Hunter4ever12
01-01-2021, 03:39 PM
Another vote for abnormally slow days of fishing down south here too. I caught some and I’ve had a few decent ones but it’s been extremely slow and weird....I just chalked it up to 2020.

KBF
01-01-2021, 05:41 PM
I even bought a 9$ jigging rapala and can’t donate it to a pike!!! Unreal

GregT
01-01-2021, 05:48 PM
It was mega slow at Lac la nonne today. Lots of fish on the flasher interested but only a few bites and one walleye for a photo op. Probably just the moon phase.

freeride
01-01-2021, 05:54 PM
If your not catching, but you and the kids are still having fun then your not doing it wrong. That's what counts

Vacation
01-01-2021, 06:11 PM
Fishing sucks bad. My buddies in my hometown in Sask continue to catch hogs and never seem to get skunked...sigh. My 3 kids are done with fishing in AB, which really bums me out. Im going to keep trying to find a honey hole i csan take them to, but fishing has been so disheartening for the most part

old dog
01-01-2021, 06:17 PM
Slow but better than sitting around the house

elk eater
01-01-2021, 06:55 PM
If your not catching, but you and the kids are still having fun then your not doing it wrong. That's what counts

This here. Fishing and Hunting with family isn’t about catching or killin’. Critters and fish are just bonuses.

pinelakeperch
01-01-2021, 07:02 PM
There are some decent trout lakes within an hour of your place. Shouldn't get shut out at Payne, Beaver Mines, or Butcher.

swampy45
01-01-2021, 08:04 PM
Skunked 5 out of 6 of my last trips. I was starting to think it was me...

Not even sure if 2 3" perch count...

KBF
01-01-2021, 08:25 PM
There are some decent trout lakes within an hour of your place. Shouldn't get shut out at Payne, Beaver Mines, or Butcher.

We did Butcher last Monday. Managed 2 brookies and lost 3 at the hole. That was major fun. Bite was short but long enough the kids did have fun. Will do that one again one day. 23 trucks there when we left. Not sure how everyone else was doing. I’ve heard Beaver mines been quite hot. Kids not to wild about waking up early to go ice fishing. Haha

pinelakeperch
01-01-2021, 08:38 PM
We did Butcher last Monday. Managed 2 brookies and lost 3 at the hole. That was major fun. Bite was short but long enough the kids did have fun. Will do that one again one day. 23 trucks there when we left. Not sure how everyone else was doing. I’ve heard Beaver mines been quite hot. Kids not to wild about waking up early to go ice fishing. Haha

Those brookies are sure beautiful out of there. It’s a shame it’s so busy; it’s too small to sustain that kind of pressure. Hey, the trout bite usually starts heating up before sunset anyways!

Wes_G
01-02-2021, 12:26 AM
Those brookies are sure beautiful out of there. It’s a shame it’s so busy; it’s too small to sustain that kind of pressure. Hey, the trout bite usually starts heating up before sunset anyways!

Especially when you look at the FB groups and see every guy taking his limit home. How many fish can they possibly put into that tiny little pond every year?

KBF
01-02-2021, 06:46 AM

Time frame is probably a big part of the slow activity. I haven’t really been able to get there and stay for as long as I should.

Smoky buck
01-02-2021, 08:22 AM
I am not a big ice fisherman and don’t use any electronics. I really just look at a depth chart do my best guess on where the drop/structure is when I get to the lake and drill holes. Really just toss bait down a hole till I catch fish and if I am not catching I try a different depth or spot. I do stick to morning or evening not mid day

Really I am a crappy ice fisherman and I have caught fish on all outings but one. The only reason I was skunked that day I knocked the fish off on the side of the hole

One trend I often see for pike is guys fishing deep getting little to no action well we get good results in 7-15fow near by. Same bait nothing fancy just different depth

I don’t know what else to say other than try different bodies of water and different spots within them

I always hear guys complaining about Alberta’s fishing but I seem to do alright

Good luck

flyguyd
01-02-2021, 08:51 AM
We did Butcher last Monday. Managed 2 brookies and lost 3 at the hole. That was major fun. Bite was short but long enough the kids did have fun. Will do that one again one day. 23 trucks there when we left.

We were there a couple days ago. 2 1/2 hours i had two bites , only two other groups there besides us but it was quite miserable with the wind:thinking-006:

KBF
01-09-2021, 07:45 PM
Maybe it’s turning around. Or maybe a blind fish swam into my hook the other. I will take either way. 3# 12 oz whitefish

fish99
01-09-2021, 07:49 PM
Maybe it’s turning around. Or maybe a blind fish swam into my hook the other. I will take either way. 3# 12 oz whitefish

small head and big body , must be a fast grower

KBF
01-09-2021, 07:53 PM
small head and big body , must be a fast grower

Never did get a length. Barely came through 8” hole. Caught on a 3/4 long white jig, pulled the tail off and tipped with 1/4” cube of shrimp. Laying flat on the bottom.
Was fulls of little shells and moss from off the bottom.

Speckle55
01-10-2021, 09:37 PM
out today got a couple missed a couple

fishing on rocks n in 2fow to 6fow

its slow but keep at it they have to eat:test:

David:)