PDA

View Full Version : Need tips to get perch to bite

Jgoerzen
12-31-2020, 10:49 PM
I am hoping I can get a bit of advise. I have searched and found a few spots with decent perch but can't seem to get them interested in biting. I have tried jigging, bottom bouncing, leading, minnow heads, maggots, and meal worms. I was out today and had a couple schools of close to 30 going past and no matter what I use or do I can't seem to get them interested in my presentation. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

3blade
12-31-2020, 11:03 PM
Tiny tungsten jigs with red or glow gulp tails, under a very small slip bobber barely breaking the surface of the water (or use a spring bobber) about 8-12 inches above the bottom. No movement, no dogs, kids, motors or anything that could advertise your presence. They may be eating bloodworms or plankton, and not interested in anything resembling a minnow.

Sometimes adding or removing a camera can help. Depends on the day, but if one isn’t working, try the other.

There are days when even the tasty little perch get lockjaw. Usually very cold weather or very low oxygen levels, but neither should be happening right now. On those days, I’ll still get a couple on the above micro presentations. Can make for a boring trip though.

CBintheNorth
12-31-2020, 11:16 PM
Make sure your lure (if it's a teardrop or small jig) is hanging horizontal.
We've always found that if we start horizontal and get bites, and then they stop biting for some reason, they've either stripped the bait or tipped the hook (vertical).
Twist the hook so it sits horizontal again and the bites come back.
Something to try anyway.

pikeman06
12-31-2020, 11:32 PM
I find the old aqua view camera that looks like a nice perch would trigger those negative ones. Just hold everything dead still and the big girls will come and go and hover over your hook and try to breathe it in, that's where tiny comes in. Its almost like they know if it doesn't swing in their mouths with a suck then its a hook and they bugger off. But try different bait and when she comes in drop your hook on the bottom then lift real slow and shake it and she should follow it up until she either bites or gets too far off the bottom for her comfort zone and refuses. The camera almost acts like a decoy. Its hard on the nerves but you can get them bud. Messing with a big fussy perch for half an hour isn't unusual.

MooseRiverTrapper
01-01-2021, 01:41 AM
Not sure what your using but might need to down size your line and hooks. Like pikeman said. Slow lift and vibrate.

Jigsalot
01-01-2021, 07:22 AM
I like the slow lift and vibrate method as the previous post said. I never bounce off the bottom for perch but that is a great technique for walleye. Patience is something you need and try using a small jig like a number 6 Len Thompson and load it up with tons of maggots. I know some lakes I have better luck with meal worms like South Buck. I also hold the lure very close to the bottom as I know bigger perch cruise the bottom. If you jig about 2 or three feet off the bottom you will see the tiny perch come up and check your lure. Good luck out there. Most lakes are 15 but no one needs that. Save some for another day.
Welcome to the forum

Tabers Best
01-01-2021, 07:24 AM
Not sure what your using but might need to down size your line and hooks. Like pikeman said. Slow lift and vibrate.

Times 2

Jgoerzen
01-01-2021, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have tried all the above, but have using size 6 to 8 hooks. I will down sizing my hooks and pick up some size 4. It made for a long day seeing them swim by without even having them look at the hook. It was nice to see them and know they are they though. Now I just need to focus on what I'm doing. 😁

Greatwest
01-01-2021, 12:12 PM
Back in Saskatchewan we used to use hooks called Jiga Whopper Hawger. The perch really seemed to love them for some reason.

57charlie
01-01-2021, 01:25 PM
I’ve always had good luck with using a variety of 4 or 5mm Fiskas tungsten perch hooks loaded up with maggots on 4lb test. Just have to find the right color or pattern of the day.

walleye guy
01-01-2021, 02:57 PM
Well I find that perch will generally let you know if they are around, getting nibbles but not hookups.
if you see perch and not catching any, change your lures , presentation etc. If you don't see any or not getting any bites move to a different location or depth.

Soab
01-01-2021, 06:01 PM
Back in Saskatchewan we used to use hooks called Jiga Whopper Hawger. The perch really seemed to love them for some reason.

Oh ya. The glow ones are good for walleye too. My brother used to take the hook off and tie a 4 inch dropper with a tiny hook with an eye or maggots when they got picky

mayuan
01-01-2021, 06:15 PM
I've always had good luck with a simple small copper spoon with a maggot on it. Here is a video, forget what lake though.

https://youtu.be/S8oP---8lqc

Sundancefisher
01-01-2021, 08:16 PM
I am hoping I can get a bit of advise. I have searched and found a few spots with decent perch but can't seem to get them interested in biting. I have tried jigging, bottom bouncing, leading, minnow heads, maggots, and meal worms. I was out today and had a couple schools of close to 30 going past and no matter what I use or do I can't seem to get them interested in my presentation. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

http://www.lakesundance.org/uploads/6/1/2/7/6127370/how_to_successfully_catch_yellow_perch_article_upd ate_may_2019.pdf

This will help where ever you fish.

Sundancefisher
01-01-2021, 08:20 PM
Thankfully we don’t have this many currently. They are bigger and more fickle now.

https://youtu.be/voAsscDkozc

My other suggestion is less movement is better. Every few minutes however lift up 5-6 feet and slowly wiggle it back down.

Drake slayer
01-02-2021, 09:53 PM
You might want to try fresh water shrimp

Surfnturf
01-11-2021, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have tried all the above, but have using size 6 to 8 hooks. I will down sizing my hooks and pick up some size 4. It made for a long day seeing them swim by without even having them look at the hook. It was nice to see them and know they are they though. Now I just need to focus on what I'm doing. 😁

Moving to size 4 from 6 and 8 would mean upsizing

AK47
01-12-2021, 02:44 PM
Invite me to go along:). I will teach you everything you need to know about catching perch.

https://i.postimg.cc/yk2nW2SL/sherburne.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/VrHnpbqK/Perch.jpg