PDA

View Full Version : Burbot Bite - When does it start?

simpatico
01-04-2021, 06:07 PM
Happy New Year to everyone!

Last year, I totally misjudge the burbot bite. I got shunked both times I headed out. I looking to catch a few of these tasty fish to cook up and deliver to my parents.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Tight Lines
Tony

calgarygringo
01-04-2021, 06:17 PM
You can catch burbot all winter at the right depths but once Feb hits things start picking up in many areas.

EZM
01-04-2021, 06:18 PM
Happy New Year to everyone!

Last year, I totally misjudge the burbot bite. I got shunked both times I headed out. I looking to catch a few of these tasty fish to cook up and deliver to my parents.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Tight Lines
Tony

2 lunar cycles after the winter solstice - so 3rd week of Feb they should be a their peak crazy. Then spawn after that a few weeks.

Having said that it just gets better and better the closer you get to spawn.

HowSwedeItIs
01-04-2021, 06:45 PM
Burbot fishing is way better in february/march, its handy to drill a few holes at different depths and if they aren't biting then move to the next hole. Big glow jigs and some kind of cut bait or minnow

horse shoer
01-04-2021, 06:57 PM
We came home with 9 on Sunday. Caught over 3 days. I released 4 small ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pastaman
01-04-2021, 09:49 PM
How do they taste?

58thecat
01-05-2021, 02:14 AM
Feb,mar, if you can stay on ice in the dark as the bite tends to be better.
As for taste just think lobster...:)

Smoky buck
01-05-2021, 04:54 AM
Feb,mar, if you can stay on ice in the dark as the bite tends to be better.
As for taste just think lobster...:)

Nothing wrong with the taste of burbot but only people who think they taste like lobster can’t afford to actually eat good lobster :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Same goes for people who think imitation crab actually tastes like crab :rolleye2:

Burbot tastes like most freshwater firm white meat fish

Yes I might be a sea food snob :thinking-006:

58thecat
01-05-2021, 08:29 AM
Nothing wrong with the taste of burbot but only people who think they taste like lobster can’t afford to actually eat good lobster :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Same goes for people who think imitation crab actually tastes like crab :rolleye2:

Burbot tastes like most freshwater firm white meat fish

Yes I might be a sea food snob :thinking-006:

chunk it up, boil it in salt water 5 minutes put in bowl covered in garlic butter...

enjoy with hard crusted buns to break apart and soak up the garlic butter...

emphasis on "poor" mans lobster...:)

simpatico
01-05-2021, 09:02 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I have watched and read a few items so with this new information hopefully I can get my elderly parents a burbot feed before winter leaves.

Tony

pikeman06
01-05-2021, 09:23 AM
Burbot is very good smoked. Alder wood is best I cut the "loins" into 1.5 inch thick medallions and use my standard brine. Sprinkle with brown sugar and pepper and a dash of seasoning salt while they are tacking up. Very nice texture and flavor. As always fresh is best when smoking

TROLLER
01-05-2021, 10:40 AM
Think Fish&Chips yummy

Talking moose
01-07-2021, 08:16 PM
Cleaned up a tongue in cheek/sarcastic comment I made earlier.

graybeard
01-08-2021, 11:01 AM
Cleaned up a tongue in cheek/sarcastic comment I made earlier.

I wrote if off and laughed;thinking, maybe your sense of humor, which AO needs more of at times.....

Good luck being a moderator.....

Skabulon
01-08-2021, 03:41 PM
I've been hunting Burbot for two years now and haven't caught one yet. I hope to get out to Lac Sante soon, they might not be big but at least the chances are high that I'll catch one. Never seen one in person before :waiting4:

shinpoe
01-09-2021, 04:53 PM
Me too - been catching my share of pike and walleyes this winter but really want to try for burbot. Thinking of an overnight trip to Cold Lake to target them

3blade
01-09-2021, 06:42 PM
How do they taste?

Like cod, because that’s what they are. White, firm, buttery, delicious fried up.

Biggest keys are to keep the slime off the meat (nail head to horizontal board, cut skin around head, peel off with pliers) and to cut the back straps off without going into the abdominal cavity. YouTube it. The liver and belly meat are extremely fishy tasting. Good for ya but :sick:

Can catch them all winter on tip ups, but they are cruising around by themselves so the bite is sporadic until the end of feb

bessiedog
01-10-2021, 08:31 AM
I’ve found the belly meat to be just fine. And you got your cleaning instructions wrong.

1. Nail head to neighbors shed.
2. Peel off skin
3. Cut meat off like cutting back straps... take yummy belly meat
4 throw huge liver to neighbors cat
5. Nail removal optional.......

sns2
01-10-2021, 09:01 AM
I’ve found the belly meat to be just fine. And you got your cleaning instructions wrong.

1. Nail head to neighbors shed.
2. Peel off skin
3. Cut meat off like cutting back straps... take yummy belly meat
4 throw huge liver to neighbors cat
5. Nail removal optional.......

So, here's the thing. You may not want to throw that liver away. My dad never threw away jackfish livers. He battered em and fried em up along with the fish. He swore they tasted like fried oysters. They actually weren't bad at all. Try the burbot livers and report back to us:love0025:

JohnB
01-10-2021, 09:06 AM
I didn't find the belly meat fishy at all.

Steyr Luxus
01-10-2021, 09:52 AM
I make fish patties with ones I have caught. Season as you like them and either cook in frying pan or smoker.