PDA

View Full Version : Ice hut suggestions

BanffJohn
01-04-2021, 09:36 PM
Hey all.
Been looking for an ice hut overnight rental for a quick birthday getaway with the girlfriend and pup around mid.Jan, but not really finding exactly what I’m looking for.
Most places I’ve messaged just simply don’t respond, frustrating.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What I’m looking for is somewhere that is located ideally within 2 hours of Edmonton, that would have pike/walleye/anything really, but the kicker is I don’t want to fish somewhere where I’m in like 15 feet of water.

We’ll be coming out from Banff, and I’m used to fishing 80ft+ up at Spray, so I honestly just find it boring fishing somewhere where I can practically see bottom.

I know some people love that-but it’s not for me.

Seems like this precludes the Gull, Sylvan areas from being suitable etc.

I’d ideally like to find somewhere where I’d be fishing 50ft+. With a mixed bag of species ideally.
The both of us don’t eat any seafood, so don’t really care about fish quality regarding taste etc, but obviously like to catch something that'll pull something drag and give us a good fight.

Rustic/basic accommodations are fine, but some of these fancy shacks with TVs etc. might be easier to sell the lady on, haha!

Anyone point me in a general direction to start looking?
I’d really appreciate it.

Cheers

Talking moose
01-04-2021, 09:46 PM
50 plus feet......not a lot of lakes that deep even. If you like fishing deep like that your options are chasing Lakers and burbot at cold lake. Not sure if they have overnight shacks. Probably do .
I don’t think you’ll find any shacks sitting over 50 fow unless it’s a laker lake.

Penner
01-04-2021, 10:38 PM
50ft plus... other than Lakers your killing any other species you catching beyond 30ft deep around these parts.

Can likely count the numbers of reasonably accessible lakes in the entire province deeper than 50ft on my fingers and toes.

What does the depth have to do with the fishing being exciting/boring anyways.

Good luck your going to need it.

Wes_G
01-04-2021, 10:54 PM
Like was said above, the reason people set up over shallower water is because you will kill any pike, walleye, perch, etc. that you catch from that deep. It is no wonder why you have received no responses.

HuyFishin
01-04-2021, 11:28 PM
Google barotrauma. The fishes insides will start to explode like a like a scuba diver surfacing to fast. You’re not gonna find what you’re looking for unless you’re ok with killing every fish you haul up. Kinda cruel unless you’re actually fishing for food. Lakers don’t get this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

old dog
01-05-2021, 08:18 AM
Agree with the other comments. Suggest u just go back to spray lakes then.

58thecat
01-05-2021, 08:38 AM
Hey all.
Been looking for an ice hut overnight rental for a quick birthday getaway with the girlfriend and pup around mid.Jan, but not really finding exactly what I’m looking for.
Most places I’ve messaged just simply don’t respond, frustrating.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What I’m looking for is somewhere that is located ideally within 2 hours of Edmonton, that would have pike/walleye/anything really, but the kicker is I don’t want to fish somewhere where I’m in like 15 feet of water.

We’ll be coming out from Banff, and I’m used to fishing 80ft+ up at Spray, so I honestly just find it boring fishing somewhere where I can practically see bottom.

I know some people love that-but it’s not for me.

Seems like this precludes the Gull, Sylvan areas from being suitable etc.

I’d ideally like to find somewhere where I’d be fishing 50ft+. With a mixed bag of species ideally.
The both of us don’t eat any seafood, so don’t really care about fish quality regarding taste etc, but obviously like to catch something that'll pull something drag and give us a good fight.

Rustic/basic accommodations are fine, but some of these fancy shacks with TVs etc. might be easier to sell the lady on, haha!

Anyone point me in a general direction to start looking?
I’d really appreciate it.

Cheers

contact Kim...he can set you up on the ice...a little bit more of a drive to Cold Lake but worth it...rent a cabin too....

https://www.facebook.com/coldlaketackleshack/

35 whelen
01-05-2021, 10:37 AM
Slave Lake would be your best choice I don't believe cold lake has overnight sleepers on the lake

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Talking moose
01-05-2021, 10:53 AM
I’m actually stumped as to why you think fishing really deep is more enjoyable.
I’m the opposite. Love shallow water action. Can get crazy. Each to their own though.

35 whelen
01-05-2021, 10:57 AM
Slave Lake would be your best choice I don't believe cold lake has overnight sleepers on the lake

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using TapatalkBut you won't be fishing deeper than 25 feet at Slave Lake

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

BanffJohn
01-05-2021, 11:38 AM
contact Kim...he can set you up on the ice...a little bit more of a drive to Cold Lake but worth it...rent a cabin too....

https://www.facebook.com/coldlaketackleshack/

Much appreciated.

HuyFishin
01-05-2021, 11:52 AM
Much appreciated.

cold lake is probably my absolute fave! you're gonna have a good time forsure