PDA

View Full Version : Spray lakes update?

TippyCanoe
01-07-2021, 09:20 AM
Headed up Saturday with the kids. How’s the fishing been? I usually fish around Sparrowhawk but with the kids I was thinking Driftwood may be an easier trek.

Brovacs
01-07-2021, 09:59 AM
I've fished it twice this year so far and found it slower than usual. One trip between two of us we caught 11 and the second trip I was alone and caught 8. There wasn't the usual furious action at sunrise like I've typically experienced there. Marks would come in every 5-10 minutes but have not be super aggressive and chasing up the water column. Strange part is that the deadstick caught only 5 of those 19 fish despite them being all slow and lazy.

TippyCanoe
01-07-2021, 01:38 PM
Thanks. Much appreciated.

Scott N
01-07-2021, 07:22 PM
I fished near Sparrowhawk today (January 7), I park at the bottom of the hill just south of the day use area and the trail from the road to the lake is in pretty decent shape and fairly well packed. The lake is covered with about 2-3" of slightly crusted snow, I didn't find the walking too bad. Here's a pic from today to give you some idea....

https://i.imgur.com/vwjHPOz.jpg

Today was the 4th time I've fished Spray this ice season, 3 out of 4 of the days (including today) have been pretty slow for me, with my most productive day being New Year's Day.

Like many people, I usually find the fishing better in the morning and it dies off by about 2 or 2:30. So far this year I've found fishing to be a little better in the afternoon rather than the mornings, but maybe that's just been my luck.

globetrekker
01-07-2021, 08:04 PM
thanks for sharing that guys

Fwee6
01-07-2021, 09:33 PM
I was out at Sparrowhawk a week ago.
Trail from road to lake was great, as outlined by others.
Fishing was really slow, and that included the 8-10am timeframe which is usually pretty steady.
However, this is the first time I fished at a depth greater than 80ft. I typically prefer to stay in the 70's. I tried a spot at 95ft and it was poor.
Very few marks on the flasher.
Landed two trout, had one other bite.
6 hours of fishing.
About 12" of solid ice.

Might be back out this weekend.

BanffJohn
01-09-2021, 06:37 PM
Been out each of the last 3 days. Sparrow hawk 2x and Driftwood once. Driftwood was VERY slow-got 4 all day from 7-5.
Yesterday at Sparrowhawk was the best day so far-19 between 3 of us.
1/2 smelt on pink/white jig head has been the ticket so far.
Make sure your license is up to date-have seen the wardens 4x already this year.
As others have said-the morning bite hasn’t been what it was in years past.
Should have no problem with the kids going out at Sparrowhawk-trail is good, and easy to follow.

Good luck!

TippyCanoe
01-10-2021, 08:10 AM
Wow on the 19 fish! We (2 adult and 3 kids) fished Sparrowhawk from 8:30-2:30. 3 nites 0 fish I haven’t fished Spray in 10 years. I couldn’t believe the hundreds of people. Never seen that many people on the lake. We saw 2 fish landed from the crowds around us.

BanffJohn
01-10-2021, 03:33 PM
Wow on the 19 fish! We (2 adult and 3 kids) fished Sparrowhawk from 8:30-2:30. 3 nites 0 fish I haven’t fished Spray in 10 years. I couldn’t believe the hundreds of people. Never seen that many people on the lake. We saw 2 fish landed from the crowds around us.

It can be a tough go for sure. Some days have been quite slow. Had a 1 fish day, and a 3 fish day just before that 19. You just never know.
Not sure if you have electronics or not, but a decent flasher can make all the difference.
They’ve been hitting very light, so knowing when they’re investigating the bait is key I find.

Look for 85 feet of water, fish a foot or two of bottom-you’ll get ‘em!

Tight lines!