PDA

View Full Version : Winter flourocarbon fishing line

OL_JR
01-10-2021, 01:00 PM
Trying to get rid of the braid for winter and curious what others have had good luck with for flourocarbons that don't have an excessive amount of memory in the cold and all around perform well. Does such a thing exist?

AlbertanGP
01-10-2021, 02:03 PM
I try to stick with the Japanese lines...I really do find they outperform. Seaguar will be one of the easiest to find. My choice in order would be Sunline, Yo-Zuri, and Seaguar. All good products. Sufix and P-Line are solid choices as well, but the Japanese lines are better IMO. ;)

EZM
01-10-2021, 03:25 PM
Best way to reduce memory is give your mono or fluoro a good tug (stretch) before using it I find.

Memory isn't a big issue I find I'm dealing with too much.

57charlie
01-10-2021, 03:38 PM
Been using Stren Fluorocarbon line for years on the ice, I've got no complaints whatsoever. Good line.

PerchBuster
01-10-2021, 05:27 PM
Suffix Fluorocarbon has been pretty good for me so far and I use it year round.

old dog
01-10-2021, 05:38 PM
I use seaguar. Good and tough on those pike and sharp ice edges

OL_JR
01-12-2021, 04:44 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, seaguar is one I was kind of leaning towards as I've had good luck with it's leader material but not against trying a few different brands. Haven't used flouro much at all for mainline in winter, usually braid with a shorter length of flouro, or mono. Sounds like some of the newer lines might not be much of an issue for handling in the cold I imagined.

Remps17
01-12-2021, 08:10 AM
OP. Have you thought of using a copolymer line for mainline instead of fluoro? I much prefer copolymer over mono as the stretch and line twist isn’t as bad. It’s pretty stiff compared to mono too. Then run a fluoro leader. Save you some money if you have multiple reels to do.

Also spoiling your reel the “wrong” way and increase lone twist a lot. https://youtu.be/GiMYiwFT98A

But to your actual question I use Seaguar leader material for pretty much everything. Wouldn’t use it as a mainline as its to expensive.

OL_JR
01-12-2021, 08:56 AM
Have never used copolomyer will look into it, just for clarification i have no intention of trying to spool leader material as mainline. Was more speaking to the quality of seaguar as a brand.

HuyFishin
01-12-2021, 09:38 AM
I use copolymer lines anytime i'm ice fishing. Pline flouroclear is what I use. Can be purchased at both fishin hole and cabelas.

Like EZM says if you do have any memory then stretch the line out and its all gone. Or let the first fish stretch it for you haha

LJalberta
01-12-2021, 12:01 PM
Just started using Seaguar this year. I've been impressed in my limited use thus far with the 2, 15, and 20lb test.