PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Lake Near ST. Paul

Sir. Kenneth
08-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Any info on this lake?

tbosch
08-17-2009, 02:16 PM
I remember catching pike from shore in there when I was quite young. Haven't fished there since. Thats probably no help. Have you hit pine yet this summer? It's swampier than ever.

Sir. Kenneth
08-17-2009, 02:22 PM
I remember catching pike from shore in there when I was quite young. Haven't fished there since. Thats probably no help. Have you hit pine yet this summer? It's swampier than ever.

No i haven't had the chance to get out to Pine yet this year. Hoping to get out a lot more this fall though since i don't have to rent from that guy at Spruce Bay anymore. (He pulls his boats out right after Labour day every year). How has the fishing been there?

tbosch
08-17-2009, 02:29 PM
I've only been twice this year. It seems abnormally swampy and stirred up this year as compared to years prior. Water clarity was extremely low both times. But the fish are still where they always are and still willing to take a lure so its all good.

Couleestalker
08-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Any info on this lake?

Use to ice fish there lots in the 80's. Pearch fishing was awesome. We would have our limit of 1 1/4 lbs to 1 3/4 pound perch in as little as half an hour. I remember going there before school and making it back with a limit before the first class bell. Access was always an issue cause you had to drive within the reserve to access the lake. Several times the locals would come and kick us off "their lake". Haven't been back in 20 years or so.

sourdough doug
08-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Is this post about Saddle or did I miss something..

Couleestalker
08-17-2009, 08:48 PM
Is this post about Saddle or did I miss something..

That's what i was talking about

sourdough doug
08-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Is this post about Saddle or did I miss something.. Fished there as a kid but haven't heard much about it lately. One used to have to get permission to put a boat in being as it's on the Rez. One morning, when we were there for the weekend, things started getting a bit active outside the camper/trailer and when I stuck my head out the door, there were arrows flying every which way.. Thankfully for me, most of them were headed for some haybales that had been set up .Appears that a Pow-Wow was taking place that same weekend.. We hung around and had a really good time. Sorry to say,that I never did make it back again to fish..

Sir. Kenneth
08-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Just an FYI for anyone looking to fish this lake. You do require permission from the reserve as well as require a special fishing license purchased from them for $25 per person per day. I guess thats why there is such high retention on this lake?