PDA

View Full Version : Using old Christmas Tree's tied to cinder blocks and thrown into a Lake.

HuyFishin
01-15-2021, 10:10 AM
https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/old-christmas-trees-being-dropped-into-saguaro-lake-to-make-fish-habitats

Using old Christmas trees to make underwater structure for ? Whats your thoughts?

Smoky buck
01-15-2021, 10:22 AM
It can effect the PH and acidity of the water if over done. I like the principle but much proffer the use of locally sourced stone and going with rock piles

Would love to see a program that added structure to some of Alberta’s waters. Done wisely it could be beneficial

Bigwoodsman
01-15-2021, 10:34 AM
It can effect the PH and acidity of the water if over done. I like the principle but much proffer the use of locally sourced stone and going with rock piles

Would love to see a program that added structure to some of Alberta’s waters. Done wisely it could be beneficial

X2
Not a great idea, there are likely better ways to create structure.

BW

58thecat
01-15-2021, 10:37 AM
I hope they ran extensive tests to see what the impact is to the critters living in that body of water...two weeks later they got a huge kill off...:rolleye2:

Smoky buck
01-15-2021, 11:12 AM
I hope they ran extensive tests to see what the impact is to the critters living in that body of water...two weeks later they got a huge kill off...:rolleye2:

Truth is depending on the species and the make up of the water before the program started changing the acidity/PH could be a good thing

FreeToFish
01-15-2021, 11:13 AM
I love the idea, but I think it’s consider illegal dumping. Need to check with F&W first. I prefer DIY pvc pipes structure instead. It’s lesser chance of getting snag compare to tree branches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoky buck
01-15-2021, 11:14 AM
I love the idea, but I think it’s consider illegal dumping. Need to check with F&W first. I prefer DIY pvc pipes structure instead. It’s lesser chance of getting snag compare to tree branches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I would take natural materials over PVC

58thecat
01-15-2021, 11:18 AM
Truth is depending on the species and the make up of the water before the program started changing the acidity/PH could be a good thing

not just talking fish was talking all critters...kill off what they eat and ya got a poop show happening...a tree falling in the water is a natural thing but what they are doing might just be a little too much so that being said implemented with baby steps might be the way to go...or just dump in a bucket of perch.:)

cube
01-15-2021, 12:16 PM
https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/old-christmas-trees-being-dropped-into-saguaro-lake-to-make-fish-habitats

Using old Christmas trees to make underwater structure for ? Whats your thoughts?

For the oligotrophic lakes like down there this can be a very good thing. For our eutrophic lakes up here adding extra nutrients etc would just back fire IMHO.

schleprock
01-15-2021, 12:26 PM
I do this but use artificial trees in some of my stocked trout ponds. It works great for giving the fresh water shrimp, aquatic bugs and the minnows a place to breed and hide out from the trout.

Bushleague
01-15-2021, 01:35 PM

Last winter I took a guy from Alabama ice fishing, he told me that down south they create structure for crappy all the time doing roughly what you are suggesting.

Last summer a huge Alder tree got washed into the shore of Lesser Slave near my house. It ended up lying perpendicular to the shore with the butt end nearly touching and the rest extending out into the water. While it remained I never once failed to catch a half dozen or so walleye and pike around it. Eventually it drifted away, but it was good while it lasted.

mapleleafman3
01-15-2021, 02:44 PM
They also do the same in Wisconsin. I used to fish them in the summer for Crappies. AB should think about doing something similar to create some structure in structure-less lakes.

The lake I lived near in Wisconsin also do a contest/fundraiser each year where they put an old car (cleaned out of all the bad stuff) on the ice and chain it to shore. You pick the day it will go through the ice.

K.J
01-15-2021, 04:41 PM
I would love to try. Then go back in summer with scuba gear to pick lost hooks out of it. Maybe a big tractor tire would work even better! lol, JK guys.

Bushleague
01-15-2021, 05:00 PM
I would love to try. Then go back in summer with scuba gear to pick lost hooks out of it. Maybe a big tractor tire would work even better! lol, JK guys.

Yeah, right where the Mennonite army fishes, just hope it doesnt attract too many fish for them.

Smoky buck
01-15-2021, 05:33 PM

You bring back memories :evilgrin:

In my early teens a buddy and I sunk shopping carts in a popular spot for jigging crappie. When everyone was gone we would swim down and hook a rope to the cart to pull it up. We would then sell them to people fishing there later

We did this till chasing girls took priority

flyrodfisher
01-15-2021, 07:00 PM
Not a good idea.
Although I don't know if it is still being done, but...in the past natural Christmas trees had been sprayed with a fire retardant or chemical to slow drying.
If this is still the practice...what impact does that fire retardant have on the water quality?

elk eater
01-15-2021, 09:16 PM
From what I see on the lakes around here it IS done every year. How many Christmas trees have You seen drug out on the lake and stuffed in a hole. No brick of course.

fish99
01-15-2021, 09:33 PM
From what I see on the lakes around here it IS done every year. How many Christmas trees have You seen drug out on the lake and stuffed in a hole. No brick of course.

there is one off of Sandholm beach pigeon lake stuffed in to a hole

HuyFishin
01-16-2021, 01:37 PM
Last winter I took a guy from Alabama ice fishing, he told me that down south they create structure for crappy all the time doing roughly what you are suggesting.

Last summer a huge Alder tree got washed into the shore of Lesser Slave near my house. It ended up lying perpendicular to the shore with the butt end nearly touching and the rest extending out into the water. While it remained I never once failed to catch a half dozen or so walleye and pike around it. Eventually it drifted away, but it was good while it lasted.

This is exactly what i'm talking about. When we have fishtanks at home we create structure using big rocks and slate rocks ect. They create homes out of it. some of our lakes are so bare. I'm sure the fish would be thanking our government if we invested a little care and love into it.

Bushleague
01-16-2021, 04:42 PM
This is exactly what i'm talking about. When we have fishtanks at home we create structure using big rocks and slate rocks ect. They create homes out of it. some of our lakes are so bare. I'm sure the fish would be thanking our government if we invested a little care and love into it.

I'm for sure going to create some structure around my place, no need to get the government involved. I know a few guys who have built rock piles that they put their ice shacks overtop of, with good results. Best would be to collect a truckload of boulders and then drop them through the ice after freeze up IMO. Keep meaning to do this but I always forget to collect the boulders untill they are frozen firmly in the ground.:angry3:

buckman
01-16-2021, 05:35 PM

I heard that years ago some tires were put in Ghost lake for structure, not sure of the exact spot though.

-JR-
01-16-2021, 06:19 PM
Just need to GPS the spot and pull up the tree after summer and remove all the lost hooks . Not a good idea throwing in trees !