PDA

View Full Version : Lake Newell

bear12
01-15-2021, 11:09 AM
Does anybody have a report on ice conditions or fishing at Newell. My son wants to head there tomorrow.

thx

Remps17
01-15-2021, 12:47 PM
It was 14 inches last Saturday, ice is getting softer and a week of this heat and wind, I am not driving on. Lots of good fishing within walking distance.

old dog
01-15-2021, 07:26 PM
Be careful for sure. I know of one truck that dropped the front end in.

Salmo
01-16-2021, 10:57 PM
14" of good hard ice today.

Zero snow on top, great visibility in the water, but very slick on top.

Remps17
01-17-2021, 11:10 AM
14" of good hard ice today.

Zero snow on top, great visibility in the water, but very slick on top.

Same experience for me. Solid 14”. Slippery as all hell

Z7fulldraw
01-22-2021, 12:25 AM
Lots of traffic on ice? How thick on average today?

Evan83
01-29-2021, 08:14 PM
Any ice updates? Best place to access on the East side? Kinbrook? I don’t mind walking on if the ice isn’t great. Wanting to try a new lake this weekend.

Habfan
01-30-2021, 07:56 AM
Be careful for sure. I know of one truck that dropped the front end in.

I’ve been out a few times this winter and haven’t noticed any weak spots. Do you have a location of the spot where they broke through.

Talking moose
01-30-2021, 08:39 AM
Just talked with a buddy who’s there now. 19” ice where he is. Trucks on.

WayneChristie
01-30-2021, 08:55 AM
Measured 17 where I fished with my son this week. Pike were off and on but slowest day we caught 7 best 12 or so. Also LDR 2 30 pound pigs. Next time.!:fighting0074:

old dog
01-30-2021, 02:10 PM
18.5 inches wher we have been

Evan83
01-30-2021, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Went out near Kinbrook and got a few small pike. Will definitely give it another go.

WhiteWall
01-31-2021, 07:58 AM
Fishermen Beware!!!!!!!!!!! A ranger went in at Lake Newell January 29th at night with 2 kids on it. They apparently are ok and somehow got out, but lost their gear...thank god.....then a truck went in at the same spot yesterday and is at the bottom of the lake. Apparently it was at the pump house at the NW end of the lake. Not good people, please be careful.

Talking moose
01-31-2021, 03:04 PM
Sitting here now. Kinda slow day. One pike one walleye. One big gal seen. 19” of ice.

Habfan
02-01-2021, 06:50 AM
I was at the Pumphouse yesterday and lots of vehicles on the ice. There is a big pressure ridge that runs across the front of it about a half km. It’s highly visible though. 19” of black ice.

old dog
02-02-2021, 11:53 AM
Saw a small suv and a car doing about 100km/hr going down the lake. Not sure if they would ever get stopped in time for a ice heave. Not something I would be doing

WayneChristie
02-03-2021, 01:24 PM
just checked out Kinbrook on the way home from town. still a huge mess of heaves and drifts from the launch breakwater and north right across the access spot at the sailing club. looks like someone a lot braver than me drove out north along the shore, hopefully they arent submarining today. Yesterday where I was fishing it was constant huge gas bubbles coming from the bottom, (of the lake dammit ) I was hoping one wouldnt make it over to my heater, one tent explosion was enough for me! :scared0018:

Esox
02-03-2021, 02:54 PM
just checked out Kinbrook on the way home from town. still a huge mess of heaves and drifts from the launch breakwater and north right across the access spot at the sailing club. looks like someone a lot braver than me drove out north along the shore, hopefully they arent submarining today. Yesterday where I was fishing it was constant huge gas bubbles coming from the bottom, (of the lake dammit ) I was hoping one wouldnt make it over to my heater, one tent explosion was enough for me! :scared0018:

Did the heave start at the breakwater? Just wondering if a guy could walk on the beach and then walk north to get around it.

WayneChristie
02-03-2021, 04:16 PM
Did the heave start at the breakwater? Just wondering if a guy could walk on the beach and then walk north to get around it.

I doubt you would have any issues walking, its the driving I wouldnt do

old dog
02-03-2021, 04:56 PM
Driving off the boat ramp onto the lake is good. But once it warms that cement will pull in the heat and that approach won’t be available and that ice heave has the normal route onto the lake blocked

UngulateMeatEater
03-02-2021, 11:54 AM
Anyone bin out with the warm weather there I’m guessing it will be very wet this weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talking moose
03-02-2021, 12:59 PM
Anyone bin out with the warm weather there I’m guessing it will be very wet this weekend?

I just got back from there yesterday. Lots of ice, not much snow, decent action.
No tanks this trip. It will be fine.

WayneChristie
03-02-2021, 02:29 PM
if anyone has a shack on Jackfish Id keep an eye on it, the shoreline isnt going to last very long at the access.

Wes_G
03-02-2021, 11:06 PM
I just got back from there yesterday. Lots of ice, not much snow, decent action.

At least someone had some action then... it was slooooow for us sunday. 1 fish from 8am-2pm, Didn't see much on the flasher either. By the amount of people that had left before us, it was about the same for them to!

UngulateMeatEater
03-03-2021, 07:50 AM

Thanks so much for the info. Maybe we will go north to winefred/grist then I know the winter action just isn’t as good at winefred in the winter but doesn’t sound like Newell has bin to hot lately but it does look like the lake will be in better condition then Newell will after Friday’s 15 degrees out there.

Poppa
03-03-2021, 02:26 PM
less than 2 weeks left in ice season for Newell and area lakes. Hoping to make a big push on the 12th/13th, but this friggin' heat......not sure what access will be like. Fingers firmly crossed...want one last crack this ice season!!

Sharpie
03-04-2021, 01:26 PM
Was there yesterday, filled a walleye tag, pike were non stop but no big ones. Tons of ice, very slippery.

Poppa
03-04-2021, 03:12 PM
Yeah, I should mention...while we weren't on Newell, specifically, we were on a nearby lake Saturday/Sunday and had more than 20" of ice. While the shoreline/access areas will be getting really dicey, the main lake area will still have plenty of ice right till the closure next weekend...

ragweed
03-07-2021, 12:13 PM
The lake is hot today. Just make sure your gear is tied down!

WayneChristie
03-08-2021, 10:32 AM
checked the access at Jackfish a couple hours ago, there were a couple vehicles on the ice but the mud is melting the access pretty quick, I doubt it will last the week

Esox
03-08-2021, 02:39 PM
checked the access at Jackfish a couple hours ago, there were a couple vehicles on the ice but the mud is melting the access pretty quick, I doubt it will last the week

What about rainier draw or even walking on at kinbrook?

WayneChristie
03-08-2021, 04:11 PM
should be great still to walk out, depends on how many donuts you ate on the way to the lake I guess :thinking-006: Rainier, never fished at that end probably still walkable too

graybeard
03-16-2021, 09:34 AM
A buddy from Brooks sent me a disturbing email from a guy on Lake Newell yesterday morning @ 0900, (March 15).

The picture has a fisherman in a newer truck with a quad in the back towing a holiday trailer. The front end of the truck broke through the ice and is in water up to the side mirrors of the truck.....

The trailer was still on the ice surface.

They figure is was a gas ice pocket......Wowwww....

There was no comment on damage or injuries?

I would say by the angle and the height of the water, that the occupants got out of the cab; or it fell through while they were fishing??

WayneChristie
03-16-2021, 12:47 PM
Darwin always wins, what is wrong with people.

Poppa
03-16-2021, 02:29 PM
Newell was about 22" at Kinbrook on Sunday morning. Lots of trucks out there. It all sort of depends on where you're going on the lake. Of course, it's closed now. Our "other" lake in the south was, unfortunately, rotted at the shores, and there was no way to access what has become a real treat destination for us. So Kinbrook was what we chose, and ended up with a 24.5" walleye, which was my biggest of the ice season. I have high hopes for summer mode, tho, when we're able to get a boat wet and really get after 'em. Still after that 30"! :)

old dog
03-16-2021, 03:38 PM
I was on the ice last day. And although the ice is still fairly thick. It is rotten ice The auger was breaking it off huge chunks. Don’t trust late season ice. The water below the ice warms up and weaken the ice from below.