PDA

View Full Version : which coyote is in the lead?

Maxwell78
01-16-2021, 02:19 PM
Kind of a dumb question in which i should know already

Say two coyotes are paired up and walking across a field. Which one is in the lead usually?

My guess is the female leading

marky_mark
01-16-2021, 03:37 PM
50/50 chance

obsessed1
01-16-2021, 03:37 PM
In my experience it's often the male although my calling strategy is geared to making the male react. I also find if a pair comes to the call always kill the smaller one ( female ) first. The male will run hell bound for leather to about 300 yds then check up ( often full broadside) for his gal giving you a decent shot. If you nail pa first ma will head for the next county never giving a second thought to her hubby.....nature..lol

Twisted Canuck
01-16-2021, 03:43 PM
In my experience it's often the male although my calling strategy is geared to making the male react. I also find if a pair comes to the call always kill the smaller one ( female ) first. The male will run hell bound for leather to about 300 yds then check up ( often full broadside) for his gal giving you a decent shot. If you nail pa first ma will head for the next county never giving a second thought to her hubby.....nature..lol

Sounds right on all counts. Especially the last point. :lol:

Big Lou
01-16-2021, 03:56 PM

I’d support this thought process. Although on several occasions I’ve had a gimme on the male first and sucked the female back into shotgun range for the double. And the opposite of course. If I’m using a e-call and kill the female first and the male is booking you can generally stop them with pup distress or something of that nature. If I don’t want to or can’t shoot when they check up, I’ll get on the hand call with a ki-yi and give a few blasts. I believe the change in sound location really convinces them that something is going down and the mate needs help. I’ll see the up on back legs and looking and then covering ground back to me. This is usually the scenario where I’ve pulled the second one back in to shotgun range. The recalls are some of my favourite kills.

Grizzly Adams
01-16-2021, 04:38 PM
The Front one. :lol:

Grizz

Nayr
01-16-2021, 04:50 PM
Good one grizz

straight
01-16-2021, 07:33 PM
From my experience the older one is a leader. When I go for dog hunting in January-February and I see a couple, I try to shoot the older one first, then you have a good chance to shoot another one as well.